Child Fishing Pole?

jillandjustin

OK, so DH has decided he is getting DS (3YO) a fishing pole from Nana and Grampa (they are older; we always pick the gifts from them for Xmas and Bdays, and they pay us to get them).

I checked at Walmart and TRU during the Zhu Zhu trips today. I have no clue about fishing poles, having never been fishing myself (I don't even EAT fish!). DH wants to get him this fancy Shakespeare Ugly Stick pole, but I am thinking he really only needs the kiddie one (Cars or Spiderman).

So, are there any serious family fishers out there? Any advice? We live near the ocean, and would be fishing off piers and jettis.

We got our kids the kiddy ones, but we also no longer live on the Gulf Coast, so we're not fishing off of jetties or anything like that...I don't know that for a 3 yo that I would invest a lot of $$ though, because my boys are almost 6 and just turned 4, and I can't tell you how many times they cross their lines or get hung up on something...and we had to have them practice their casting before we took them, because I can totally picture my kids (esp my youngest boy), throwing the whole thing into the water!! They've even hooked TREES in the AIR while casting, though not too many trees on piers or jetties, I know...but I think you get the idea! I would hate to spend lots of $$ on a pole for them, only to have it destroyed, thrown in, or needing repair after each use...he's going to get older, and he can have a good pole then, kwim? For now, IMO, I'd get him the cheaper one so he can practice...and seriously, if he's fishing off of piers and jetties, do you REALLY want him fishing with something capable of hauling in something huge??? He's THREE!! LOL

we got our kids the kiddy ones, but we also no longer live on the gulf coast, so we're not fishing off of jetties or anything like that...i don't know that for a 3 yo that i would invest a lot of $$ though, because my boys are almost 6 and just turned 4, and i can't tell you how many times they cross their lines or get hung up on something...and we had to have them practice their casting before we took them, because i can totally picture my kids (esp my youngest boy), throwing the whole thing into the water!! They've even hooked trees in the air while casting, though not too many trees on piers or jetties, i know...but i think you get the idea! I would hate to spend lots of $$ on a pole for them, only to have it destroyed, thrown in, or needing repair after each use...he's going to get older, and he can have a good pole then, kwim? For now, imo, i'd get him the cheaper one so he can practice...and seriously, if he's fishing off of piers and jetties, do you really want him fishing with something capable of hauling in something huge??? He's three!! Lol

hahahahaha.

I would never buy a cheap anything from Walmart. I go for quality. My husband and dad are both avid fishermen. They would cringe in horror at the thought. We bought my son a small pole and a Zebco micro 33 I think or maybe 11. It was just right for his small hands and he is 12 now and still using this nice pole. You would discourage him with a reel that would fall apart . They need to learn to cast with something that actually works.

I would never buy a cheap anything from Walmart. I go for quality. My husband and dad are both avid fishermen. They would cringe in horror at the thought. We bought my son a small pole and a Zebco micro 33 I think or maybe 11. It was just right for his small hands and he is 12 now and still using this nice pole. You would discourage him with a reel that would fall apart . They need to learn to cast with something that actually works.

My husband and avid fisherman and my oldest son has bought several rods and reels fro walmart and have not had any problems, If you are looking for a childs rod and reel other then the ones with spiderman and such try Gander Mount. The bass pro shop or cabela's

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I bought my rod and reel from Walmart, but not the cheapy stuff. My husband likes nothing but Zebco. I just meant the cheapy character poles that last a day. My grandson's other grandparents bought him one and it didn't last the whole weekend. I'm in Illinois too. DOn't see too many people on here from Illinois.

Of course you don't want to throw your money away by buying cheaply made things,but there is something to be said for upgrading each year as the child/interest grows.

I don't know how much fishing your son will actually do,but I got my DD4 a Barbie one at a garage sale and it lasted the whole summer (it's put away now). She's not a serious angler by any means and just has fun casting,catching,then throwing the fish back in the pond! The character ones are fine as starters for a casual fisherman,imo,so don't feel bad to get the one a little boy would like. If he turns out to really like fishing,then you will always have a good idea of what to get him for presents!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I bought my rod and reel from Walmart, but not the cheapy stuff. My husband likes nothing but Zebco. I just meant the cheapy character poles that last a day. My grandson's other grandparents bought him one and it didn't last the whole weekend. I'm in Illinois too. DOn't see too many people on here from Illinois.

well Ive been here for 5 years and have several other friends on here from illinois, great place to live sometimes

I think my dh considered one of these for our boys, but we knew they'd like the characters, and it is a good starter pole...as far as my saying that it may be in need of repair after being used for a day, I only meant that the line might need to be redone because of the boys getting it hung up on various things...the character ones may not look great to an avid fisherman, but I've never had an issue of them being cheaply made or falling apart, and they have always been able to cast them without a problem...and we wouldn't consider spending more $$ without knowing whether or not our kids would even be interested in fishing more than once or twice...

The kiddo one is certainly going to be more CUTE :yup: and if your hope is that he'll only use it 2-5 times then get that one...

I think there are definitely affordable good poles...and I KNOW that my DH (who loves to fish) would want to get him like the most affordable one that was a good name if he were say 5, 6 or 7....but maybe not at 3 yr.old..he might even decide to save $ and choose the Kiddo one for that age group. . .

OK, so DH has decided he is getting DS (3YO) a fishing pole from Nana and Grampa (they are older; we always pick the gifts from them for Xmas and Bdays, and they pay us to get them).

I checked at Walmart and TRU during the Zhu Zhu trips today. I have no clue about fishing poles, having never been fishing myself (I don't even EAT fish!). DH wants to get him this fancy Shakespeare Ugly Stick pole, but I am thinking he really only needs the kiddie one (Cars or Spiderman).

So, are there any serious family fishers out there? Any advice? We live near the ocean, and would be fishing off piers and jettis.

You could try looking at Bass Pro shops....they are big into kiddo sized products

I don't know who else is on your list/where you live, etc.

But in our area, DICK'S sporting goods sell UGLY STIK JR for about $25-30.... if you have one of those Entertainment coupon books they have coupons in there sometimes $10 off 50 dollar purchase...maybe you could get someone else (DH even) a present there and save $ that way.

I think that fishing pole is like 36-38 inches long...still may be big for a 3 yr old. Walmart has some affordable Ugly Stik styles but I didn't see a Jr. . . they do have the "kid" poles like Spongebob etc....

I got my son a Tigger one that floats. He accidentaly threw the whole pole in and then he fell in. Thank goodness the pole floated and he had a life jacket on(my nephew caught him before his face went in). So the "cheap" pole worked for us!! It is going on it's fifth summer. With my son we also had to start out with just putting a bobber on there because he would hook anything and anyone!! Now he is up to a hook!!

Well...that depends on how serious your family is into fishing. My Dad, hubby and son are very much serious fishermen. Son just won his first fishing tourney this past summer. He started out with the Shakespeare Synergy Microspin Titanium reel and Shakespeare pole set. Reel is closed face and much easier for a child to learn to cast correctly with. This is an excellent choice, as it is perfect in weight and child size. I purchased this set at Dick's Sporting Goods and if memory serves me I paid around $25.00 for the set. We don't live near the ocean. They don't saltwater fish much, do more trout fishing. If he is going to be fishing off piers he would need more along the ugly stick jr. type rod with a sturdy reel. Shakespeare is a wonderful brand. Edited by Kim3498

It also depends on what type of water you're fishing in as well. The kiddie rods really arent to sturdy for deep water, river, or high current fishing. The rocket rod isn't good for high currents either. Lakes or ponds, it's perfect and my kids have a great time with them. The Ugly Stick is a great system, but not for a 3 yr old.