Did I just ruin Santa?

AudreyNicole

Ok so a little background. Bare with me, I am near tears here. I have been putting all of the presents that I purchased in our spare bedroom and keeping the door locked. I wrap and label everything within one day of buying it. I have everything for the kids that is from DH and I in plain sight (but wrapped), and anything I had from Santa was not wrapped but stored deep in the closet under a bunch of stuff. The other day, I came home, and noticed that the door was unlocked and open. After probing, my 7 year old admitted that he had found a key (I thought I had them all) and opened the door. He said he knew that "someone got Joshua the Batcave for Christmas!" The batcave was the only Santa present that I didn't have wrapped or in the closet cause it was too big to fit. I covered it up by acting surprised that it was there and told him that maybe Santa dropped something off early cause he was running out of room at the workshop. I *think* he believed me, but I am not sure. In a panic, I went out and pruchased Santa paper, different from everything else he saw, and wrapped all of the Santa presents (including the Batcave) and moved the Santa presents to a box in the garage. I am just running out of places to store things. So, this morning, I found BOTH of my boys in the spare bedroom. Apparently they found ANOTHER key. DH and I were furious, and I was (and still am) near tears. I know I should have moved EVERYTHING, but I just don't have the room anywhere else. Luckily they didn't see anything from Santa, so I told them that they had better stop snooping or Santa might not bring any presents. DH told that that "Mommy and Daddy have some presents for you for Christmas, and some for Grammy, and Pop-Pop, etc." but Santa will bring the good stuff, as long as he can trust them to be good boys. Even though they everything they saw was labeled from DH and I, I am scared to death that they will figure out the whole Santa thing. What else can I do to make it more real for them? I am so upset. They are too little to have it ruined already. They are only 6 and 7. :(:(:(

((hugs)) I feel so badly for you.......

MY DH left a door unlocked :mad: about 2 weeks before Xmas and my one son boy was almost 7 when he found the stuff. :(

HE OPENED everything. I was so devastated. I wanted DH to return some of it--and buy new items--because we really couldn't afford to buy more stuff.....but then I didn't know what else to get the kid!

We told him a lie, that the presents were not for him (no labels on them yet but I knew what kid was what present by paper and what room they were hid in)

Even though he was young, I am sure he wasn't quite believing me....I mean why were the EXACT things there that he asked for...but he never asked if they were from Santa or us.

We did buy him 2 extra things. . . and I wrapped it all in completely different paper... I was expecting him to ask me every day if he could have this toy or that toy but he didn't!

However when video taping him on Xmas he would say "Wow the CAR from the spare room" or "I love my puzzle from the spare room!" pretty funny. Wasn't such a bad Christmas after all.

I don't have a name of any particular thing, but do you think if you looked on line/asked at library there might be a story or 2 about Christmas involving kids who SNOOP too much?

Maybe it would give them a hint, I think if you keep telling them not to go in there--or emphasizing how they should not do that, it could make them think more about it and maybe figure it out...

Also, what I did was get one of those inexpensive locks that you can put on door frame and door (about 5 dollars I think) you screw it in there is a latch thing that flips over and has a hole, you can slide a small combination lock in it.

It is "unsightly" and you are screwing into the frame, but it can save alot of heartache.

Collect all those keys. Tell them they'll get icecream tonight if they can find you every key!

Please don't feel so badly you are a mom who just wanted it all to be wonderful to them....you can't help that they were mischievous and inquisitive. ;)

I tell my daughter santa mails gifts to our house because it would be to hard for him to deliver so many toys to every1's house.( I dont have the room in my house so we put them under the tree ahead of time) I also tell her he sends me them unwrapped because I offer to help him out. ( one year she saw I had wrapping paper) The only thing is she knows santa comes on christmas for his cookies and then he fills our stockings. She TOTALLY believes me and has never questioned it and she is almost 8...you could try that =)...hth!!

I Hide my things at friends houses and last year i had to pick up my stuff from my friends house 2 days before Xmas..it was SOOOOOOOO much stuff..didn't realize i had bought so much until i went to her house to get it all....I put it in my closet and threw a sheet over it...my kids went in and looked under the sheet and all I heard was ohhh....WOW...toys...i was devestated...i came running out of the kitchen and told them to leave..i told them that i have to meet Santa to pick their stuff up b/c they were getting so much stuff b/c they were good kids and he needed me to keep some at the house and he would bring the rest on Xmas eve...it worked...but that still did not keep them from trying to go in my room for the next 2 days...they would find every excuse in the world...kids are very sneaky:D

2 things.

I know someone will help here but there is a website that has Santa in your own picture. Worked like a charm last year for us. We have a picture of Santa in our living room.

email Santa and tell him the news. He can then bring a new present.

www.claus.com

aww honey ((hugs)) i think one day you will look back and laugh at the sight of them BOTH in the off limits room one day...but today isnt the day. I dont have a lot of advise as I havent (YET) gone through this...but I am sure christmas will be wonderful, and I liked the ideas of santa sendng gifts early b/c he is out of room. I would also sternly warn the older one NOT to tell the younger about the batcave. That if he does, and ruins the surprise for him that maybe his gifts will be scarce under the tree this year.

if anything, now would be a great time to use my trick that i told my son about how mom and dad start picking up where santa is slacking off b/c of how big they are getting.

keep us posted on how it goes!!

:gdconsoling1:

With the whole "Santa" thing, I believed up until I turned 11; with a combination of my sister telling me the truth (I didn't believe her at first; after all, she did convince me as a kid that PG-14 movies existed, among other things) and the fact I did not get anything I asked for at all lead to the realization. Also, it didn't help that I found a receipt for one of my gifts from Santa lying on the floor just a few years prior; which was further evidence. Still, this shocking revelation lead to me finally discovering why my Mom got up so early on the day after Thanksgiving; it lead to me coming along on my first Black Friday trip...

Speaking of snooping for gifts, my sister and I used to snoop around the house as kids to find our Christmas gifts early; no matter where my Mom though to hide it, I was able to find it with ease, and if it was out of my reach, I'd find some way to get it down. That's when she started using Layaway, which for me, ruined the fun...

Santa always dosn't have to bring the best and coolest stuff, Sometimes he can bring something little too. My oldest son was about 8 when he opened almost all of his presents prior to christmas. He didn't think I would notice that they had been opened. To this day he tells the story of his worst christmas when he wasn't suprised at all. Christmas that year was a big let down down for him and he never tried to do anything like that again.

I would chose another present to give your other son from Santa and give him the bat cave from you and your DH.

when all 5 of ours were at home, we lived in a very small house and there was no room to store very many gifts... so all got wrapped and put under the tree as we wrapped them... we told them all not to tell their friends because Santa only had room in his sleigh for 2 gifts per kid because there are so many kids in the world.... so as the elves get done with gifts, he delivers them early to houses where the kids are so good they get more than that.... but if they peek then Santa would take them back and no more would arrive....

They always believed us... we only have 1 believer left and he actually lives with his mom and step dad so he just thinks that since he has two families it's nice for santa to bring him twice as much and the other house has gifts for the sleigh and our house gets them early cause his little sister and brother might open them if he took them there early instead .... .he just believes that and is okay with it....

Just do your best.... and the magic is there and it will be fine :)

((hugs)) I feel so badly for you.......

MY DH left a door unlocked :mad: about 2 weeks before Xmas and my one son boy was almost 7 when he found the stuff. :(

HE OPENED everything. I was so devastated. I wanted DH to return some of it--and buy new items--because we really couldn't afford to buy more stuff.....but then I didn't know what else to get the kid!

We told him a lie, that the presents were not for him (no labels on them yet but I knew what kid was what present by paper and what room they were hid in)

Even though he was young, I am sure he wasn't quite believing me....I mean why were the EXACT things there that he asked for...but he never asked if they were from Santa or us.

We did buy him 2 extra things. . . and I wrapped it all in completely different paper... I was expecting him to ask me every day if he could have this toy or that toy but he didn't!

However when video taping him on Xmas he would say "Wow the CAR from the spare room" or "I love my puzzle from the spare room!" pretty funny. Wasn't such a bad Christmas after all.

I don't have a name of any particular thing, but do you think if you looked on line/asked at library there might be a story or 2 about Christmas involving kids who SNOOP too much?

Maybe it would give them a hint, I think if you keep telling them not to go in there--or emphasizing how they should not do that, it could make them think more about it and maybe figure it out...

Also, what I did was get one of those inexpensive locks that you can put on door frame and door (about 5 dollars I think) you screw it in there is a latch thing that flips over and has a hole, you can slide a small combination lock in it.

It is "unsightly" and you are screwing into the frame, but it can save alot of heartache.

Collect all those keys. Tell them they'll get icecream tonight if they can find you every key!

Please don't feel so badly you are a mom who just wanted it all to be wonderful to them....you can't help that they were mischievous and inquisitive. ;)

Tell them they'll get icecream tonight if they can find you every key!

laughing my a$$ off

Tell them they'll get icecream tonight if they can find you every key!

laughing my a$$ off

Did you like that :cool: Ice cream can work miracles :D and reading her story it seemed like they kept finding another key and another... So if it were a game....and they get ice cream...heck they'll forget all about the presents they found ;)

What if a letter appeared from Santa explaining that he saw that they had done, explaining how it's not polite to look through things that are behind locked doors and that if they stay out of the room from now on that he will still bring them their presents. Just a thought.

Stacy

Thank you all for your replies. I know that my 7 year old felt absolutely terrible. He stayed in his room and cried for almost half an hour, and then left a note for me appologizing for going in the room. I think we will be giving the Batcave from DH and I now, since Logan already saw it, and will get other things from Santa. I am sure that by the time the day arrives, they will both be so excited that they won't even be thinking about the logistics of the whole thing. We did have a talk with them about how Santa is watching and is disappointed in them for snooping. I seriously doubt they will do it again. I *think* we have all of the keys now, and DH put tape over the keyhole so we can tell if they tried to get in there. I have plans to move everything to my neighbor's house this week, once I help her clean out her extra room... I think everything will be fine, it was just so heartbreaking for me to see them in that room, because I try to make it so special for them each year...

I had two zhu zhus in a bag on the floor of the front pasenger seat of my van. Forgot to hide in trunk when I picked up DS4 from daycare. He spotted it instantly! Santa is supposed to bring those. He asked what they were and told him that was just a brochure. I sounded incredibly stupid, but I'm hoping it works. He remembers everything, so I won't be surprised if he says "Hey! Those were in your car!"

I have always told my kids that because there are so many kids in the world now, that Santa needs some help. That the movies don't explain how much work he has to do since Hollywood makes everything look simple (we've always talked to the kids about how what happens in the movies isn't always so realistic and that they take liberties with the stories...). That being said, as they started to ask questions about how come Santa didn't always get everything on their lists, I invented the Parent share, where parents have to help out and put in a portion of the money for the presents. THat also helped explain why some of their friends got more or less (parent's income, etc). I'll never forget the day when they asked me if I thought I'd be able to foot the parent share of the Xbox when it first came out. (We were having some bad years at the time...). But it's always helped explain the day without ruining the surprise or bad feelings of why they didn't get all they wanted. And why momma is shopping for things on BF that they get from Santa (he asked me to pick it up, his elves are on email and now Twitter...)

I let my boys believe whatever they believe as did my mother. I think they will believe even with the discouraging evidence and others saying he's not real. It's fun just to play along and I know I did until I was a teen. I wouldn't go out of your way to continue the illusion by buying them more gifts though. Oh, and btw my sister and I were excellent rewrappers so I would becareful with even those from you and your hubby. ;)

type up a letter on the comp print it out and send it addressed to your children from Santa in the North pole. Hopefully they arent smart enough to notice the stamp from the local post office.

In the letter say something like

Dear Joshua and Logan

My elves tell me that you have been snooping lately. Your Mom, Dad and I work very hard to make sure you and your brother get what you want for Christmas and we want it to be a big surprise. Sometimes I run out of room here at the North Pole and I have to drop stuff off early. Sometimes I even have to drop off the wrapping paper and bows because my elves are so busy. I promise I will bring you some great gifts but you have to promise me not to snoop in mom and dad's hiding places.

You and your brother have been very very good this year. I am looking forward to seeing your faces on Christmas morning when you open all of the gifts your Mom Dad and I worked so hard to get for you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I have to get back to work now. A lot to do and not much time. Be good, do well in school, and no more snooping.

See you soon.

Love Santa

P.S.- My favorite cookies are chocolate chip with a big glass of milk.

You can add your own personal touch. but that to me seems like a good idea to cover your tracks. You could also have someone call. That might be a little harder to pull off.

i wish you the best of luck and I hope whatever you do works.

type up a letter on the comp print it out and send it addressed to your children from Santa in the North pole. Hopefully they arent smart enough to notice the stamp from the local post office.

In the letter say something like

Dear Joshua and Logan

My elves tell me that you have been snooping lately. Your Mom, Dad and I work very hard to make sure you and your brother get what you want for Christmas and we want it to be a big surprise. Sometimes I run out of room here at the North Pole and I have to drop stuff off early. Sometimes I even have to drop off the wrapping paper and bows because my elves are so busy. I promise I will bring you some great gifts but you have to promise me not to snoop in mom and dad's hiding places.

You and your brother have been very very good this year. I am looking forward to seeing your faces on Christmas morning when you open all of the gifts your Mom Dad and I worked so hard to get for you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I have to get back to work now. A lot to do and not much time. Be good, do well in school, and no more snooping.

See you soon.

Love Santa

P.S.- My favorite cookies are chocolate chip with a big glass of milk.

You can add your own personal touch. but that to me seems like a good idea to cover your tracks. You could also have someone call. That might be a little harder to pull off.

i wish you the best of luck and I hope whatever you do works.

Wow, I love that letter. I think a trip to the most office might be in order. Thanks so much for that! :)

Hilarious yet true story:

Our spare bedroom closet was my mom's hiding place. It was my fourth Christmas. My mom told me to stay out of the bedroom. I couldn't help but wonder why she would have told me that. It had never been off limits before. Of course I had to check it out! So, two weeks before Christmas I went in there in the middle of the night. Lo and behold I found a brand new tricycle, a tea set, a baby doll, and some other great things!! My mom awoke to me riding down the hall on my tricycle!! I had opened the tea set and stripped all the clothes off the baby doll. She was extremely upset with me. I still remember the look of horror on her face. She scolded me for being nosey and said Santa would be very disappointed in me. The next day everything was gone from the bedroom. A few days later she called me to the phone. A man who said he was Santa said that if I was good, I might get my toys back next Spring! Of course at my age I didn't know what that meant. My mom told me this story when I was older. She unfortunately got a neighbor who was known to drink to much to call me. After that, she had to get more creative with the logistics of hiding. I don't remember the phone call, but I sure do remember how much fun I had riding that tricycle in the middle of the night!!

Don't worry so much about them. They will be so happy that morning when they actually get the items they want. It won't really matter if Mom & Dad helped Santa or if the presents come from you. As a mom I do understand your disappointment though. Whatever you decide to do, just be careful not to get the town drunk to call them. LOL!!!

ok so maybe its just those freaking allergies again...

but when you said your son wrote you a letter i instantly welled up with tears til one poured over! (still teary actually) that sounds like something my son would do. I thought about how very disappointed in himself he would be if he thought that HE had ruined christmas and it tugged at my heart strings hard!

Ok so a little background. Bare with me, I am near tears here. I have been putting all of the presents that I purchased in our spare bedroom and keeping the door locked. I wrap and label everything within one day of buying it. I have everything for the kids that is from DH and I in plain sight (but wrapped), and anything I had from Santa was not wrapped but stored deep in the closet under a bunch of stuff. The other day, I came home, and noticed that the door was unlocked and open. After probing, my 7 year old admitted that he had found a key (I thought I had them all) and opened the door. He said he knew that "someone got Joshua the Batcave for Christmas!" The batcave was the only Santa present that I didn't have wrapped or in the closet cause it was too big to fit. I covered it up by acting surprised that it was there and told him that maybe Santa dropped something off early cause he was running out of room at the workshop. I *think* he believed me, but I am not sure. In a panic, I went out and pruchased Santa paper, different from everything else he saw, and wrapped all of the Santa presents (including the Batcave) and moved the Santa presents to a box in the garage. I am just running out of places to store things. So, this morning, I found BOTH of my boys in the spare bedroom. Apparently they found ANOTHER key. DH and I were furious, and I was (and still am) near tears. I know I should have moved EVERYTHING, but I just don't have the room anywhere else. Luckily they didn't see anything from Santa, so I told them that they had better stop snooping or Santa might not bring any presents. DH told that that "Mommy and Daddy have some presents for you for Christmas, and some for Grammy, and Pop-Pop, etc." but Santa will bring the good stuff, as long as he can trust them to be good boys. Even though they everything they saw was labeled from DH and I, I am scared to death that they will figure out the whole Santa thing. What else can I do to make it more real for them? I am so upset. They are too little to have it ruined already. They are only 6 and 7. :(:(:(

The best way to play it off is if they don't believe in Santa he won't bring them any presents. I don't think Santa is ruined but it may take a little inguinuity to find ways around it. For 1 thing if they go in the closet again Santa is watching and will put them on the naughty list. If at all possible try to exchange the bat cave he saw for something else. Easier said then done if that's something he is really looking forward to. If not you could give him a present you intended to give him from you and your husband and exchange the bat cave and give it from you and something intended to be from you make from Santa.

I have 4 kids so I know a little about how to get them to believe in it once they find out but it takes a little work sometimes. Mine will be 4, 6, 10, and 11 this Christmas.

I had two zhu zhus in a bag on the floor of the front pasenger seat of my van. Forgot to hide in trunk when I picked up DS4 from daycare. He spotted it instantly! Santa is supposed to bring those. He asked what they were and told him that was just a brochure. I sounded incredibly stupid, but I'm hoping it works. He remembers everything, so I won't be surprised if he says "Hey! Those were in your car!"

Did he see the color of the zhu zhus? If so do you know anyone else who 2 of them in different colors then what you have that maybe you could switch with? Either that or have the zhu zhus come from you instead of santa.