Ideas for adult gift exchange

pianoman

Every year we host a Christmas family party the day after Christmas. We need ideas for the adults. We exchange gifts but need a different way.

We have done random gifts, name exchange, picking numbers, White Elephant....

Any new ideas??

Thanks

Last year a gal at work told me about the way their family exchanges gifts. They each bring a wrapped gift, for whatever value is previously decided upon, then they play the left/right game.

Everyone sits where they can pass gifts back and forth to the person next to them. It is a story about family events that have happen through out the year and includes the work left or right multiple times. Every time the word left or right is said everyone passes the gift they have to the left or right. When the story ends the gift you hold it yours.

We played this at work last year and I wrote a story to the poem Night Before Christmas using people from works names and short facts about them. It was a lot of fun, everyone gets confused passing the gifts and listening to the story.

allshoppedout your enthusiasm makes me smile! Peyton Manning is my guy, but I have great respect for Ben Roethlisberger. I even like him a little better than baby brother (which is what we Colts fans call Eli Manning, of course). :tongue1: Okay, no more off-topic posts from me today....okay, well I'll try really hard anyway. :D

This is a joke since you have a Steeler's Avigator.... something with Browns/(how can you be from NE Ohio and be a Steeler's fan???????

My family is from there. It is who I am and what I am. Besides, family members who are Browns fans don't get presents, just prayers. (Sorry.....had, too)

Last year a gal at work told me about the way their family exchanges gifts. They each bring a wrapped gift, for whatever value is previously decided upon, then they play the left/right game.

We are going to do this game at work this year except I am having everyone bring their favorite cookie recipe. You could also have everyone bring the cookies themselves and it would be a different way to do a cookie exchange.

we are doing something at our family gathering that maybe you could modify to work for you. We have a large number of 20 somethings neice and nephews. So I will collect money form the aunts uncles grandparents (the old folks, basically) and put it into a film canister. Then, I will wrap the cannister in duct tape, and then wrap that in newspaper, more duct tape, newspaper...alternating until I have aBIG ball of newspaper/duct tape. Then all the 20 somethings sit in a circle with a pair of dice and take turns rolling the dice and passing them to the next person in the circle. If someone rolls a "double" on their turn they get to begin unwrapping the ball until someone else rolls a "double". At, that point they have to pass the ball onto the person who just rolled the double. The object is to be the person who actually unwraps and opens the "prize"(they get to keep it). So they are frantically rolling the dice to get their turn, and they are frantically hurrying to unwrap it if they get it..... Fun for all. The more duct tape the better. And no scissors, etc are allowed.

This is a joke since you have a Steeler's Avigator.... something with Browns/(how can you be from NE Ohio and be a Steeler's fan???????

I'm another Steeler's fan in Ohio:DHave been ALL my life!! Can remember watching them when I was little. Funny thing, my dh has been a Steeler's fan all his life too:yup: We meant for each other:tongue1:

My family is from there. It is who I am and what I am. Besides, family members who are Browns fans don't get presents, just prayers. (Sorry.....had, too)

WOW! That's how our family treats the only Steelers fan in the family.... :tongue1:

j/k.... we cheer Colts first and Steelers would be our next in line but so used to giving my BIL a hard time for being a huge Steelers fan that I can't help it.... lol.... actually broke his heart when I converted his only son to say "Go COLTS" and beg for a Colts jersey at age 7... hehe:yup:

here's what we do since i have 4 siblings and DH has 5 siblings....all are married, some of us also have adult children. the adult children are invited to particpate.

*everyone who wants to do this brings a wrapped gift valued at $35. (no gag gifts allowed).

*each gifter gets a number (chosen from a bowl....no peeking). numbers correspond to the number of gifts in the mix.

*all gifts are placed in the middle of the floor of the family room

*the person who drew #1 chooses a wrapped gift and opens it

*#2 chooses a gift and opens it, decides if they want to keep it or trade w/#1

*#3 chooses a gift, opens it and now decides if they want to keep or trade w/#1 or #2.

*it goes on like this until the last number has a gift and has decided whether to keep or trade.... the farther down the list of numbers, the greater variety of trading items. your item can be traded my many people but everyone ends up w/something,.

***after the highest number has done their thing, the person who had #1 gets to look at all the gifts and decide if they want to keep what they have or trade for anything they want.....since when they opened their gift, there was nothing else opened and no option of trading at that time.....so #1 is a very coveted position to be in!

popular gifts include gift cards to movies, restaurants, blockbuster, popcorn and soft drinks....things like that.

We do Secret Santa for the adults (18+). Every year at our family X-Mas party we pick names and that's who we have for the next year. We also have this running joke ever since someone put these plastic ducks in who ever gets them puts them back in the next year wrapped in different ways and we all try not to get it! It's dumb but funny! ;) Also one of my cousins always puts something practical in like a garden hose or extension cords! :)

How about playing a game where people are eliminated one by one until there is only one winner (think musical chairs or something similar)... As folks are eliminated, they get a number (if there were 20 people, the first person out would be #20, the next one #19, etc).

Then you could either let the winner (person #1) go first in selecting a gift and go in numerical order till everyone has a gift...

OR

Have all the #s in a hat, draw a #, and that's the person gets to select first. Then go in numerical order after them. Example: using the same 20 ppl scenario, #15 is drawn to go first. Next to pick would be 16, then 17, and so on; then after #20, it would go back to #1, then 2, and all the way thru #14.

Or instead of a game like musical chairs, you could do a trivia game-- Christmas trivia, generic brain teasers, or even trivia about the families of people there! The person with the most correct answers would be #1 and so on (like above). Actually, just about any kind of wedding or baby shower game could be modified somehow to fit as a way of determining who gets what present... you could even "secretly" assign everyone a number (hidden on the bottom of their plates, or under their chairs, or on the back of paper stocking decorations that each person writes their name on one as they arrive) and use those to decide who gets first dibs on gifts!

I don't know if these are the kind of ideas you're looking for, but hopefully they'll help you and/or others to come up with creative gift exchanges! :)

How about playing a game where people are eliminated one by one until there is only one winner (think musical chairs or something similar)... As folks are eliminated, they get a number (if there were 20 people, the first person out would be #20, the next one #19, etc).

Then you could either let the winner (person #1) go first in selecting a gift and go in numerical order till everyone has a gift...

OR

Have all the #s in a hat, draw a #, and that's the person gets to select first. Then go in numerical order after them. Example: using the same 20 ppl scenario, #15 is drawn to go first. Next to pick would be 16, then 17, and so on; then after #20, it would go back to #1, then 2, and all the way thru #14.

Or instead of a game like musical chairs, you could do a trivia game-- Christmas trivia, generic brain teasers, or even trivia about the families of people there! The person with the most correct answers would be #1 and so on (like above). Actually, just about any kind of wedding or baby shower game could be modified somehow to fit as a way of determining who gets what present... you could even "secretly" assign everyone a number (hidden on the bottom of their plates, or under their chairs, or on the back of paper stocking decorations that each person writes their name on one as they arrive) and use those to decide who gets first dibs on gifts!

I don't know if these are the kind of ideas you're looking for, but hopefully they'll help you and/or others to come up with creative gift exchanges! :)

Keep em coming!!! We plan to present all the ideas next week at our BIG family Thanksgiving.

my idea is instead of musical chairs....which can get a little crazy, not alot of space, etc.....

How about playing a game where people sit in a circle and pass around some holiday item.... like a stuffed Santa toy, or Snowman or if you are all over 18, how about something "funny/adult humor" (like buying a pair of xxlarge size red bikini's).

You pass "SANTA's UNDIES" (item you selected) around to tune of Christmas music...when music stops, whomever is holding his undies, is eliminated. And so on, one by one until there is only one winner..

As folks are eliminated, they get a number (if there were 20 people, the first person out would be #20, the next one #19, etc). Prizes are numbered on a table...

If you can't bother/don't have something to play music on, you could always have your most talented friend singing a Christmas song and just stop--

I played this summer at my luau and passed around "hairy coconuts" ;)

So much Steelers talk, I can't help but saying that I'm another Steelers fan from way over on the West Coast... Everyone in my little ole town are, though, because we are Troy Polamalu's home town! (We're so proud of that! ;) ) We went to high school together and it is still crazy to see him on magazines, commercials, etc. I should scan his senior year photo and post it... you probably wouldn't recognize him!

Back to the adult gift exchange, with my family, we have a $5 per person limit and have a competition to see who finds the most humorous gift. We each throw $5 into a pot and vote for the best gift. The winner gets the pot. We have a lot of fun with it.