Do you keep track of how much $$ you spend on Christmas?

angied64084

Do you keep track of how much $$ you spend on Christmas? I *thought* I had a good grasp on what I spent last year, but sat down last year and added up my receipts. :eek: So in trying to sticking to a budget this year, I am keeping an excel spreadsheet.

How do you keep track of what you bought/what you spend?

I usually do (did not last year) Dh and I were having problems and shopping is good therapy!!

This year I am sticking to the budget, I really have to. I write everything down, and when the total is met I stop. I do allow my self a little leeway but not much. I am trying to keep it a $150 per couple for my older kids, $100 for the single one in NV and for the 6 year old I will probably do around $200 maybe more depending on the budget. The older kids all had bigger Christmas when they were little so now it is her turn.

My husband has a spreadsheet that he updates after every one of my shopping trips. It goes back YEARS, showing budget, presents bought, actual spent, etc. But then again, he is an accountant.

I fudge a little though.....

lol this is exactly what I do....I can tell you what I gave people and spent for gifts back to the early '90s.

Before that I kept a small notebook in my purse and wrote everything in there.

I still keep a small notebook and write down gift ideas and who I still need to buy for year to year.

Must be the accounting gene in me, too.

I make my lists about 10 different times because I constantly change what I want to buy for the kids. Each child or person im buying for is on a seperate page so I try to list all I bought and spent. It is kinda funny cause Im so serious about my lists but by Christmas eve there are a million gifts under my tree and I went way over $ budget and gift per child limit....But I can't help myself :D

Im an accounatnt so its in me to atleast TRY to keep track, but some how every year I manage to go over budget and I dont seem to realize it until January lol.

I have software I use and everything lol. I keep a log of what I spend for gifts, crafts, food, decorations, everything. But for some reason the week and a half before Christmas I lose my mind and just blindy buy whatever I want and shove the recipts into a box, never once checking the spreadsheets for budget lol.

I was talking to my sister last night, and we determined everything bought before BF really shouldn't be included in the holiday budget....:blush:

Isn't that kindof like anything you eat with a diet coke doesn't have any calories?:rolleyes:

hehehehe

It's like on BF where I always sneak a couple of things in there for me, like some new jammies, etc. It doesn't count!

Isn't that kindof like anything you eat with a diet coke doesn't have any calories?:rolleyes:

hehehehe

It's like on BF where I always sneak a couple of things in there for me, like some new jammies, etc. It doesn't count!

:yup: You get it!

However, I suppose I should really stick to my guns and record all the receipts. I may end up increasing the budget to accomodate my purchases! :gdevillaugh:

Absolutely!!! We refuse to use credit cards, so everything is bought with cash. I use a spreadsheet that lists gifts, budget and actual cost. I put money away every month into a mutual fund (DH is a financial advisor) so it earns interest!!! By the time BF rolls around, I've got more than enough! We took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace class and it has really helped us budget.

I have been the last few years but sometimes I don't update my list for a week or two and notice that one kid is over the budget and the other kid is way under and on it goes with the other. I try to keep the money the same that I spend on my kids but not the amount of gifts.

• 2 weeks later...
Same here. I keep track of everything and how much I spend on each child. I always make sure all the totals for the kids add up to within $5 or less so none of them ever feel I spent more on one of the others, lol. I often have to pick up a few $1 or $2 items near the end to balance them out properly but there have never been any complaints. The worst is when something doesn't work and I have to return it and the item is no longer available and because I bought it on Black Friday I return a $40 toy that I paid about $15 for at the time and the $15 toys after Christmas are junk.