Canadians on Black Friday 2009

i.feature

Time to start this thread again this year. The Canadian dollar is approaching pairity again, making deals that much better for us. Who's going down? Where ya going? What do you plan on buying?

My hotel is all booked. Day off work. Now just waiting on the ads. We're heading to the Albany NY area.

We stay for over 48 hours. So we can bring back 400$ per person with duty free. After that you get hit with tax on everything above and duty(depending on the product), if they decide to pull you over. We have only had to pay anything additional once and even then it wasn't enough to negate the great savings.

Hi i.feature

OMG if i didn't know better i would say it was me that wrote that note

my day off has been booked off since the beginning of the year. Room booked a couple of weeks ago, plan on going to Buffalo ny. We leave Thrusday night after dinner. Just watching the dollar rise and waiting for the ads.

I go every year...ususally with my husband but this year my mom is coming with me. I'm so excited, but she's going to be beyond!!!

We drive down to Portland Maine (its about a 9 hour drive) on Thursday and we'll shop in the following order:

Best Buy at 3 am

Kohls at 4 am

Walmart at 5 am

Target at 6 am

Christmas Tree Shop

Toys R US

Kittery outlets

Mall (with anchor stores)

By then I'm exhausted and broke!! We'll stay the night and drive home Saturday. Probably stop in Bangor for a break on the way.

OMG! I am going through black friday withdrawl this year! We always go over but this year I have been laid off from my job and with the new passport requirements, I can not justify laying out the $100 to get my passport. It's killing me not to go lol. My aunts are already calling asking if I plan to get my passport. To torture myself even more, I had to pop in and check the message board! Is it wrong to know you can get your passport in about 10 days if you go to the office in person:D Here I though I was safe using the excuse that I didn't have enough time to get one lol.

Is it wrong to know you can get your passport in about 10 days if you go to the office in person:D Here I though I was safe using the excuse that I didn't have enough time to get one lol.

You can get it faster than that if you pay a little more to expedite the process. I did that a bunch of years back.

I actually see Canadians shoppers all times of the year at a large group of outlets near me. The biggest sales bring a lot more. Columbus day sale I was at the outlets and it was a zoo!!

Ya, i tend to shy away from where the majority of Canadian shoppers go. We(Canadians) can be a ruthless bunch when on shopping holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first Black Friday experience .My husband ,my friend ,and her son will be going to Bangor Maine .We will leave from Sydney ,Nova Scotia Canada on Thursday morning . We are returning home on Sunday .We have had our hotel booked since August .We were not able to get reservations at the hotel where we wanted to stay when we phoned in August ,because they were booked then for the Black Friday week end .

We are very excited about the entire Black Friday experience . This forum has been so helpful to us . Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I can't wait either. We travel to Birch Run MI and Start shopping at midnight straight through till about 6pm Friday night. It's crazy I know but a lot of fun

I LOVE Birch Run! I use to go there all the time. There use to be a restaurant across from the stores called Tony's. Is it still there? It gives HUGE portions of food.... think of the show Man vs. Food, thats how much they give you, lol.

Hi, this a dumb question but I have to ask. Don't they have the same sales above the border? Or are the stores not the same.? No Black Friday in Canada? I am really curious.

Same sales - not really. We get boxing day the day after xmas. Thats the closest thing we have to BF.

Stores not the same - yes and no. We do have many of the same stores, but there are quite a few we don't have. Plus the selection can be very different. Products that cost a lot here can be significantly lower down there. Occassionally it can go the other way too, where a product is cheaper here than there. But that doesn't happen as much.