Digital Camcorder BF sales-Ideas/wants

KrystalMae1231

I have the flip. It's actually a lot of fun and relatively small and easy to carry.

My husband used the software that came with it to edit three small videos he shot (about his car of course) into one file and easily uploaded it onto youtube.

We bought ours at Costco.

I also have a JVC hard drive camcorder. I just bought it a couple months ago and love it so far.

I think I paid like 350.00 for it.

JVC Everio GZ-MG630 Ruby Red 60GB HDD Camcorder with 40x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD Display, One-Touch to iTunes and YouTube

$349.88

60GB Internal Hard Disk Drive

Konica Minolta 40X/800X Dynamic Optical/Digital Zoom

1/6" 800K pixel CCD

2.7" Laser Touch II LCD

Model#: GZMG630RUS

I'd avoid the DVD ones. So much as the slightest flaw in the disk or bump and the whole thing is ruined and you won't know it till later :( I had a whole batch of bad disks on our disney trip and you couldn't tell till after they burned. I found out after the trip. All the footage was corrupt and toast :( I'm looking for something new this year. The DVD one sits unused in the cabinet

Do you want a compact one, like the Flip or the Kodak zi6? Or do you want the larger, regular size ones? I have a Sony HD camcorder with a Hard drive that I love (but it cost $900 two Christmases ago), and a Kodak zi6 that I bought for my wife this year for $120, that also shoots HD video, but uses a card for memory. (we love that one also for how easy it is to carry around), but we use the Sony for Kid's shows, plays, etc, because I can use my tripod.

• 2 weeks later...
Sears has a Sony 4gb on BF for $249 and a 60gb for $299 They also have a Samsung SD camcorder for $149.99. Are the SD ones like the flip?? DS and DIL are expecting their first child Dec. 2. They have a flip but I heard them mentioning wanting something more. What does anyone think of these???

Do you want a compact one, like the Flip or the Kodak zi6? Or do you want the larger, regular size ones? I have a Sony HD camcorder with a Hard drive that I love (but it cost $900 two Christmases ago), and a Kodak zi6 that I bought for my wife this year for $120, that also shoots HD video, but uses a card for memory. (we love that one also for how easy it is to carry around), but we use the Sony for Kid's shows, plays, etc, because I can use my tripod.

I am looking for more of a regular size one. Last year I bought a compact one and hated it!

I don't even know how to compare. So far I am going to go with a memory card one for sure. This way i can load them on my comp and play them directly on the tv. plus I like the idea of not having it scratched and losing all the memories.

Thanks I will look into this one. do you remember how much you paid for it?

That's a camera that takes video, not a camcorder. I like the video feature on my camera, too, but most digi cams only zoom 4x, while my camcorder goes 41x. I was actually able to read a nametag on a guy's shirt from about 100 yards the other day.

I have a mini-dv, and I do love it, but it's a PITA to get the video transferred. When i got it, I knew I should have gotten one with an SD, but I cheaped out...

I also have a JVC hard drive camcorder. I just bought it a couple months ago and love it so far.

I think I paid like 350.00 for it.

JVC Everio GZ-MG630 Ruby Red 60GB HDD Camcorder with 40x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD Display, One-Touch to iTunes and YouTube

$349.88

60GB Internal Hard Disk Drive

Konica Minolta 40X/800X Dynamic Optical/Digital Zoom

1/6" 800K pixel CCD

2.7" Laser Touch II LCD

Model#: GZMG630RUS

Have you had any trouble transferring your video to a DVD with this one? Do you use your PC or did you buy the DVD recorder thing? Do you use editing software and if so is it easy to use? I had read some bad reviews about that aspect of transferring to DVD being difficult and was reconsidering my choice. Everything else about it seems really good. My choices were the JVC Everio, Sony SR47 or Panasonic H80. All Hard drive camcorders in the $300-400 range. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had any trouble transferring your video to a DVD with this one? Do you use your PC or did you buy the DVD recorder thing? Do you use editing software and if so is it easy to use? I had read some bad reviews about that aspect of transferring to DVD being difficult and was reconsidering my choice. Everything else about it seems really good. My choices were the JVC Everio, Sony SR47 or Panasonic H80. All Hard drive camcorders in the $300-400 range. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Sharp handycam that uses 8mm and am getting my ds 12 one that takes a memory card for xmas. It is very easy to put my 8mm on dvd. I have a dvd vcr combo and I first transfer to vcr in case I want to edit then I burn the full vcr to dvd. Last year I weent through all tapes and put over 40 on dvd.

My JVC hardrive plugs right into that computer with a USB cord or right into the TV/VCR/DVD with an AV cord. Sooo easy to use! Had a mini-DVD before and HATED it! Another good thing about the hardrive is you don't have to worry about fulling up your little SD card! Though I do believe there is an SD slot in case you want to flash it instead of hardrive it. :)

I have a Sharp handycam that uses 8mm and am getting my ds 12 one that takes a memory card for xmas. It is very easy to put my 8mm on dvd. I have a dvd vcr combo and I first transfer to vcr in case I want to edit then I burn the full vcr to dvd. Last year I weent through all tapes and put over 40 on dvd.

We have a DVD VCR combo too but why or how do you edit from VHS? I just told my husband last night we need to transfer all of our old tapes to DVD. I wish I was in your shoes and had it all done!

• 2 weeks later...

I think a major question might be whether you want a standard definition camcorder (SD) or a high definition camcorder (HD). With everything going to HD, I don't know that I would buy an SD camcorder these days.

I have a big (by todays standards) digital 8 sony. On my big HD tv the picture is kind of grainy, not as much detail, etc, although it looks fine on the small tube tvs. I am really looking at getting a high def camcorder this year. While I don't know that the hard drive ones are all that great, the flash memory ones are still too expensive, and any disc or tape ones are a no-no. I LOVED the image stabilization on the sony hdrxr200v that I played with at my costco, but reviews have me worried, complaint being video quality is poor in low light settings.

Will a video that is made on a HD camcorder be able to play on a non HD TV or DVD player? I am so confused with all this stuff, lol. I bought my son the Planet Earth DVD's that were in HD but they would not play and I don't know if its because of the dvd player or the tv. So I need to buy a camcorder this BF but I guess I need to make sure that I will be able to watch the videos that we make.

Also, can someone please tell me how u get the video from the SD card to the actual DVD? Thanks!!

We have a DVD VCR combo too but why or how do you edit from VHS? I just told my husband last night we need to transfer all of our old tapes to DVD. I wish I was in your shoes and had it all done!

I hook my camcorder up to the vcr and push record on the vcr and play on the camcorder. If I come to a bad spot I pause the recording and search for the next good one. When the vcr tape is done I put a dvd in and burn the dvd. I did a lot of crying. I had over 10 years of tapes. Ended up with about 40 dvd's. I decided to get the sony handycam from bestbuy that has the 60 gig harddrive because it's only 250 and I can't buy a memory stick near that big for 50.00. It's already in my shopping cart ready to check out at midnight.