Adult Child vs Minor Child Gifts

guilliam

DH and I have 2 kids, ds19 and ds7. DH thinks that since ds19 is an adult and has moved away to college that we should cut back the amount of $$ we spend on him for Christmas. While we can't afford to pay his college and living expenses, we are paying for his cell phone, car insurance, and helping with food and clothing. To put it lightly, he is costing us a fortune right now LOL!!! I have ALWAYS spent the same amount of $$ on each of our 2 kids and feel guilty about cutting his back and leaving ds7's the same. DH sees it as ds19 got that much (and more since he was an only child for 12 years) since he was born and now he should get cut back and ds7 should get the same until he is an adult. Is it ok to spend less on an adult child than on a minor child?

Don't get me wrong, ds19 would still get a good bit spent on him, just not as much as ds7.

So now, give me your opinions (Please be gentle ;))

Oh yeah, and just because I may let dh think we are going to do this, doesn't really mean I will since I do ALL of the shopping;) I'm undecided yet.

i got 4 kids ages 20,19,18 and 15 and a new grand baby, and i will spend more on the 15 year old even the baby will only get about 100 worth of gifts if even then as she is really only getting clothes and one toy and some diapers., but as the kids got older they get less than the minor children. as kids(adults) we got less and less. good luck

Personally I would get him a couple of things that he wants, and the rest of it things that he needs (ie clothing, walmart gift cards, food giftcards, hygene items) since you are probally paying for that kind of stuff for him right now anyway, that way he still gets quite a bit, but you are not spending much more than you usually would on him.

I say DH has a point. My older kids get less as they are adults and are buying a lot of their own stuff anyway. Since you are already paying many of his bills, I don't think he'd begrudge his brother a few extra toys. It's not like he's getting nothing.

I would think if you were to ask him he may tell you to use the money for his little brother instead. Like your husband said he got x amount for 12 years. It's the little ones turn. I would def get him a big gift like a gaming system access. or something like that and then do the necessities and things he needs but wont buy on his own.

My dh was an only child for 18 years. His parents now have a 16 y/o and 18 y/o. Since the girls were born my dh has been pushed aside and treated like an 'uncle' instead of a brother.:mad:

Of course it is your decision of the amount you spend but don't forget his is part of the family regardless of his age and college fees. He just might realize the difference in amounts and have feelings about it. A kid is a kid. Are you paying for extras for the other kids? He might see it as the same thing. Good luck!!:)

I would still spend the same....you're paying for food & expenses for the younger one, right? And you paid for his cell, ins, etc BEFORE he moved to college I'm assuming...So, IMO that's a moot argument.

I plan on getting the same amount of gifts for my college daughter as I am her brothers at home. Hers may just be more practical & portable than in the past LOL

I agree that it's not about the $$. I have 2 kids very close in age and 1 much older and have never kept track of how much I spent as long as the 2 younger ones get about the same amount of stuff, and the older one does get less amount of stuff but his gifts cost more. Yes it's OK to spend less on them after they move out, he's an adult now. And how would he know unless you told him?

I would still spend the same....you're paying for food & expenses for the younger one, right? And you paid for his cell, ins, etc BEFORE he moved to college I'm assuming...So, IMO that's a moot argument.

I plan on getting the same amount of gifts for my college daughter as I am her brothers at home. Hers may just be more practical & portable than in the past LOL

I am blessed we have 8 children...until this past year we had only 3 left at home,now we have 5 at home with 2 grandchildren. I always try to keep the Christmas budget the same for each child/grandchild.I don't spend less on the single ones or the married ones who have children

or the college students...never have and God willing will never have to...

I have had to cut back this year. Four of my older children are married and we are expecting one grandchild Dec 2. I also have a 6 year old at home. My DS age 24 lives in Reno NV. I have talked to all my older ones and their spouses and they totally understand the need to cut back, and they all agreed that I should not cut back on the 6 yr old. They all had fantastic Christmas growing up, and want the same for her.

I would say follow your heart. If you don't feel right about cutting the older one back a little then don't. There will come a time you may feel the need for the change.

If I could afford to do whatever I wanted I probably would.

No, when he graduated in 2008 and told us he wasn't going to go to college, he had to get a job and pay his own car insurance and other bills. We did still feed him though and he was allowed to continue living with us at no cost. Wasn't trying to be mean parents, just trying to make him grow up as he was very immature. Well after a year of working night stock at Walmart he decided he wanted to go to college. So we agreed to help him as much as we are able by paying car insurance etc.

And his younger brother is 7 so yes, we pay for his food and living expenses LOL;)

We're not talking about buying him NOTHING, just cutting it back to a couple of things he wants instead of trying to keep the dollar amounts the same between the 2 kids. DH just feels that he has a job and is able to buy what he wants most of the time so it's time for us to cut back:confused:

Ah, I see. Well, then I guess my advice would be the same as someone above then...follow your heart. You know best on how he will react to a change.

I guess the 2 things I plan to buy him will probably cost as much as we will spend on his brother anyway LOL;) Just want to make dh feel like he has a say in it, but as I said, I do ALL of our shopping so I'll buy what I want to for them both ;)

My 2 kopecs is if the adult child is giving you a gift then I would feel slightly obligated to spend the same amount. I.E: my friend gave his parents a nice sweatshirt of the college he attends. So if I was the parent I would feel obligated to give the adult child an equally nice gift.