>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

Hey marc did you get your le yet? I am going to try mine out today and see if iam happy...

I ordered 4 Seagate hard drives and 2 TT1 LEs on BF. Due to the apparent limitations of BB's shopping cart, I had to order the hard drives as two seperate orders and the LEs as individual items.

Based on the e-mail confirmations, I will be receiving 6 little 2lb boxes tomorrow. :confused: I don't know why they couldn't at least put two hard drives per box.

Just for anyone that cares i love my LE used it today for a few hours. Good FAST rerouting, A little bit of different routs then i would take, but thats prolly a faster rout. The arrival times where almost perfect. All the roads where there. I went to the mall using a POI..even got mr T's voice guiding me lovin it.......

Circuit City has the TomTom One 3rd edition for $149 -- but no carrying case or home charger. You can buy a home charger if you'll really need it, but most folks are fine with the cigarette lighter car adapter.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TomTom-ONE-3rd-Edition-GPS-Navigation-TOMTOMONE/sem/rpsm/oid/191752/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

You can also just connect the unit to your computer via a mini-usb cable and charge it that way...

Just for anyone that cares i love my LE used it today for a few hours. Good FAST rerouting, A little bit of different routs then i would take, but thats prolly a faster rout. The arrival times where almost perfect. All the roads where there. I went to the mall using a POI..even got mr T's voice guiding me lovin it.......

Glad to hear that you are pleased with its performance. The boyfriend borrowed a coworkers' TT to "try out" and he really likes it. I bought both my boyfriend and sister the TT1 LE for Christmas.

UPS dropped off the TomTom LEs this afternoon... I got the my wife's unit out of the plastic package -- no small feat, BTW. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Weather/whew.gif The other one is for my parents for Christmas.

I set up home, and my wife's work (I work from home, this is her unit).

I used my new TomTom to navigate to the local post office (and back). Strange, but it wanted me to take a different route home. It was very speedy in recalculating the original route in reverse. I even took some wrong turns (down a side road) to see what it would do... It quickly recalculated, no fuss no muss.

The only little thing is that it thinks my court is a two way -- it used to be until about 9 years ago. Now it's a one way. I'll have to figure out how to do the Map Update.

I downloaded the latest maps and the free English voices, official Dunkin Donuts POI list and the C3PO voice (my wife's favorite Star Wars character).

So far so good. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Mil-Positive/worldturns.gif

It took me a good 15-20 minutes to open that darn unit! How do you resell a store return packaged like that? What we they Thinking! Cue the music Marcster!

I got mine all programed and updated backed up etc----downloaded the free voices. How much is it for a voice BTY?

Thanks for shout at tomtomforums.com greatly appreciated! Nice handle too Marcster very unique and appropriate for sure!

Yeah, I almost lost a finger getting that packaging open! I think it was designed so you couldn't take it back. As an owner of a Tomtom 910 I have to say that the LE is a very nice unit. I have been impressed with it so far. I told my wife she can have the 910 and I will take the LE on my business trips since it is smaller. She didn't like that idea!

I received my navigon 2100 from stables today. Finally!!!

But i was very unhappy because it did not come with a usb charger, only the car charger. how will i get map updates? and if i want to program it at home do i have to sit in the car for few hours every time to charge it.....

for $99 its a good deal,.....but how do i get updates?

Those who got navigon 2100 can you please share your comments on this.

It took me a good 15-20 minutes to open that darn unit! How do you resell a store return packaged like that? What we they Thinking! Cue the music Marcster!

I got mine all programed and updated backed up etc----downloaded the free voices. How much is it for a voice BTY?

Thanks for shout at tomtomforums.com greatly appreciated! Nice handle too Marcster very unique and appropriate for sure!

I downloaded C3PO here: http://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=86

The voices that cost money range in price from $5.95 to $12.95: http://navtones.com

The packaging was probably so difficult to open to prevent theft in the store. They should make a version of the packaging for people who buy online. Sheesh!

And for those who didn't follow see the other thread on GD, I just joined tomtomforums.com as Genius of Love, (it's a joke, the band Tom Tom Club had a club hit in the 80s called Genius of Love).

Does anyone know the reason why the Navigon 2100 was recalled at some Radio Shack stores.....and does it related to the 5100?

(when i went to Radio Shack on BF I was told they were recalled - thus none in stock)

During a recent visit to RS I overheard the clerk telling a customer that they had been recalled because of scratched screens caused by the packaging.

I received my navigon 2100 from stables today. Finally!!!

But i was very unhappy because it did not come with a usb charger, only the car charger. how will i get map updates? and if i want to program it at home do i have to sit in the car for few hours every time to charge it.....

for $99 its a good deal,.....but how do i get updates?

Those who got navigon 2100 can you please share your comments on this.

I have Navigon 5100 but imagine the power cord end is the same......

I can you use any standard USB cord with the trapazoid shape end....from a digital camera, or PSP ....

or buy one for $5

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Jack-of-All-Games-USB-Cable-for-PSP-778399550467/sem/rpsm/oid/186279/catOid/0/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Yeah, I almost lost a finger getting that packaging open! I think it was designed so you couldn't take it back. As an owner of a Tomtom 910 I have to say that the LE is a very nice unit. I have been impressed with it so far. I told my wife she can have the 910 and I will take the LE on my business trips since it is smaller. She didn't like that idea!

That in itself speaks volumes to me about this unit for sure! . I have fought with Delhorme GPS on my lap top for way to long!Three years and now not having to fumble around I am truly looking forward to using it. This deal came by and after a lot of research and comparisons thanks to the Marcster---------I decided on the LE as well.

Does your wife have a sense of humor?

AHHH! I am so overwhelmed my son 17/18 wants a GPS for his birthday. I am all for it since I am getting tired of him calling me telling me he is lost and I have to jump on google map to fiqure out where he is and how to get him home. He wants text to voice, I would like it to include speeding warning and red light camera info. I really would like to keep it under $200.00. Any suggestions?

OK, this information supersedes anything I've said about the TomTom series:

Well, now that I purchased two TomTom One LEs and have really delved into it, it seems that the FREE map updates are not all they are cracked up to be:

I was under the impression that TomTom's map updates were free forever (along with Scott as well as many other GDers...)

However, now that I've installed TomTom HOME 2 (the software that allows you to update and backup your device), I see that things are not as we assumed.

Rather than let you buy a device with out-of-date maps (such as the two year old Garmin c330), TomTom lets you download unlimited map updates for the first 30 days that the device is put into service.

While this means that you'll always have the "freshest" maps from the get go, it doesn't mean that you'll have "free maps for life" which is the impression that many GDers and all of the reviews that I read were under.

I don't know if this is a recent change in TomTom's thinking, or if they've made it a fuzzy issue on purpose... From the reading that I've done on TomTomforums.com, apparently TomTom makes a great device but the company's customer care can be a little lacking at times.

Another crazy thing is that you can only send updates to the rest of the community through the MapShare feature for the first year. This allows "locals" to advise others to road closures, bridge closures, etc. You would think that they would want to allow this type of updates forever, for the good of the community but no... apparently after the first year, your advice is worthless. :eyepoppin This may change since MapShare has only been around for about 2 months in my estimation.

Apparently a set of Complete Maps of US/Canada are around $70 (charged as GPB) or you can choose from 6 different regions of the US for about $60 each. Alaska and Canada are lumped into a 7th region.

As an alternative, there's TomTom doesn't hold a gun to your head to force you to buy new maps. If you happen to live in an area with no new construction, you could conceivably use the same map edition for years.

On the plus side, you can purchase maps of most other countries and take your TomTom with you on a international vacation, so there's that. ;)

Go to TomTom's new Web site: http://www.livechangingmaps.com and click on the "Latest Map Guarantee". There you will see the policy in black and white. However, I must say that as a Web designer, I am blown away by the Flash work on that spinning globe. WOW!

I don't feel that it's bait-and-switch, but I can't believe that at least one review didn't make this more clear. At the very least, they provide you with current maps from the start, which is more than I can say for other GPS companies.

Now that is somewhat of a TomTom sucker punch! I saw that earlier when I read my map card and didn't put two and two together? But you are absolutely correct!

I am curious if this also applies TT 3rd edition? Can any confirm this as well?

Well I also purchased the Navigon 2100T-------------got that all programmed and ready to go----------

it will be a side by side test today for the TTLE and the Navigon 1200t head to head!!!

Will share my results tonight or in the morning!

I have Navigon 5100 but imagine the power cord end is the same......

I can you use any standard USB cord with the trapazoid shape end....from a digital camera, or PSP ....

or buy one for $5

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Jack-of-All-Games-USB-Cable-for-PSP-778399550467/sem/rpsm/oid/186279/catOid/0/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thanks for the link. I actually have one of these - so I can save myself some money.

Marc, I think you messed up. I had planned to get a TT and a 2100t from staples then return one. I was only able to get the 2100t. I've been using it for a week and I don't know how you can beat it for $100.

As a GPS it tickles me. I switched from 2d to 3d and back. Great options. When I approached a complex exit, I appreciated the lane view of the highway. I like the speech to text too.

Yesterday I activated my traffic updates. Free for life? Wow! On my way home tonight, I was warned three times of traffic problems and rerouted around them.

It may be slow and the keys may be small, but I don't notice. I'm just enjoying my new co-pilot. Thanks for hosting this thread. It was a lot of help to me.

Hi I just bought my DS20, the TomTom LE unit from Best Buy today for $149..they were sold

out everywhere around here and were also sold out on line. Is this a good unit or a bad unit?

I have read some mixed reviews here..but nothing very specific. Has anyone tried theirs out

yet? My son is a college student and is now student teaching..so he gets sent to different

schools in many different places and he has the absolute worst sense of direction ;)

Hi I just bought my DS20, the TomTom LE unit from Best Buy today for $149..they were sold

out everywhere around here and were also sold out on line. Is this a good unit or a bad unit?

I have read some mixed reviews here..but nothing very specific. Has anyone tried theirs out

yet? My son is a college student and is now student teaching..so he gets sent to different

schools in many different places and he has the absolute worst sense of direction ;)

I like mine. I downloaded the latest maps without incident and downloaded POI lists of the locations for Dunkin' Donuts, Panda Express, Sheetz gas stations, and a few other chains...

I also downloaded a bunch of voice impersonations (even C3PO, from Star Wars).

It's very easy to use and quick...

Thanks Marc, I am glad I bought it then. MY son has been using the Navigator feature on

his cell phone and it is less than stellar. If you get a phone call you have to start the whole

thing over again. Plus I pay $10 a month for this service...I hope the TTLE does the trick:fluffy: