Let's Boycott TARGET! Please Read

Dust N Bones

That is all fine and dandy. It is great to sit there and knock an organization that apparently none of you have ever had to use. It is true what people say, one bad experience ruins it for everyone else. SO WHAT if you have had some hard times with the bell ringers. Don't knock the whole organization. What they do in the communities is a very good thing. My family had to use this service when I was a kid. My dad lost his eyesight completely and was off work with no disability or SS for 3 years. We had NOTHING!!!! They came in and brought us food, gifts, and let us know that people out there care.

They don't just support people at the holidays, but all year long. I have no problem with Target not letting them ring there because it is their property and their store. I have had several run ins with people that rang the bells for SA, but I look past them at what the organization accomplishes, not what one person does. They can't be responsible for everyone because they don't have enough people to cover all of the areas they ring for and the main office.

If everyone thinks that Christmas is about what you can get your family and how much money you have, then you have it all wrong. Like briansmommy999 said, it is about family and togtherness. Instead of teaching your children that they should expect gifts on Christmas, teach them what rewards they get from giving. You would be amazed at how much they understand it and will appreciate it when they get older. I have two small children myself and every year since they have been born they have given a gift to this charity. They now save their money and after they give 10% to the church, they give half of it to this charity.

Each person has a right to their opinion, but instead of bad mouthing every person involved, turn the other cheek and look at all the good things they do!!

In my area some of the SA workers are fulfilling their community servicce sentences handed down by the courts.

Could be an explanation to some of the not so polite workers.

I do recall a time when all the workers were very pleasant, that is not the case anymore ( at least in my community) but I refuse to let a SA worker/volunteer factor in my decisions of where I am going to shop, if I am going to donate, or how much I will donate.

I do not contribute my time unlike the many of you have stated. I commend each and every one of you as it you that makes differences in the lives of others which effects us all.

I have volunteered for them in the past...I also adopted two families for christmas from them two years ago. One was a single mother and daughter. the other was a family of six. SA gave the mother of six my phone number, they asked permission said it was so she could thank me. NOT the case she wanted the receipts for the things she was give (this was two weeks before Christmas) I am guessing she wanted the $ for something else. Sadly we purchased everything on the list. Needless to say I will NEVER do it again! As for paying volunteers it absolutly detracts from what they are doing my money is not going to the organization it is going to the fund raiser.

You gave them permission to give her your phone number after she lied to them about why she wanted to call, and you blame the salvation army?

I am a mother of three, run a home day care and attend nursing school three night a week and every saturday. I now volunteer with Make a wish foundation where all money raised stays in the community 90% of every dollar goes to the children and there are NO paid fundraisers/collectors.

What's your excuse?

When I said I don't volunteer because I don't have time, I meant I don't volunteer to be a bell ringer. I do volunteer a good deal of my time to non-profit organization, just not the salvation army.

With all the complaints on SA, Home Depot and others organizations , it makes one wonder where is the holiday spirit? I am not sure about everywhere else but here in north Alabama,most of our charities are very polite and even though we are a small town our best community and educational support comes from local businesses. No I can't always give, but I can always send up a silent prayer of thankfullness that there are others who can and do and those who ,obviously amoung the throng of evil bell ringers, still stand in the freezing cold for the good of those less fortunate. As for boycotting any store.. well wouldn't that be a whole lot like I am not gonna play with today because I don't like you but next week when this is over and I need something you have I will be back. Come on folks, this is a time of the cheerful giver ( whether its time money prayers or a simple smile) Here is a thought.. next time a collecter makes an ugly remark or look, try saying Happy holidays or Bless you. Sure does make for a better example when your children are watching............ Time for me to hush now back to finding best BF deals :o)

Dust N Bones and Ebayordeath, Don't take the things that are in this board personally. No body here is judging you because you give, likewise don't judge us because we feel that the SA is pushy.

Genoandkiddo believe me I was not judging anyone. I am sincerely sorry if I came accross that way. I guess I was just taken back by Targets stance but I also admit that I didn't realize that there are some pushy and down right rude SA bell ringers out there. That is uncalled for. And no one should ever feel pressured or guilty for not donating.

DustNBones, Okay, I just wanted to make sure. I do donate to other organizations through out the year. But man can some of the SA people be nasty. I wish they were nice like yours then I wouldn't even have to think about it. As far as Target goes, it's not just them alot of stores are doing that as well. So I say, if you feel strongly about it don't go to Target. Like I said earlier this is America and by golly you have that right. But just don't expect everyone else to feel the same.

I look at it this way, no matter what store I got to, IF I have some change to spare and IF I have time, I might toss some in the kettle. I don't do it at every store, just one or two places. I had an extra 50 cents last week and let my 5 yr. old drop it in there and the bell ringer was so nice about it he let her ring the bell. :) That just tickled her silly. :D I really don't care what stores have bell ringers and which don't. If I want to give to the SA, I'll find a way.

First off as not to be a hypocrit I rarely RARELY give money to the SA people. But lets be fair to the salvation army, yes they may have some idiots working for them but if we look at them as an example of corporate greed we see exactly the opposite. Their CEO makes a paltry 15k a year compared to the united way and red cross heads...Hell the biggest benefactor of the united way is the red cross so If you give to the united way these two overpaid execs are effectively double dipping your donation. I'd donate to the salvation army before 99% of the other charities out there.