Not as into it this year - anyone else feel this?

stevierocks

is it just me? i am finding it not as fun, or hard to get into the shopping this year. maybe because its starting earlier? 

that said i have made a few purchases, but normally i am excited to do so. not this year. and its not for financial reasons. 

and certainly not cause life is to busy, as this pandemic makes it just the opposite.

hopefully in time it improves.! 

anyone else feel this ?

• Like 2

It's been a hard year for many, but I am still excited for the season!!!! I may be the odd ball out, but I'm grateful for the slower pace , so to speak, and the change in the way we are doing BF this year... Sure I'll miss the hustle and bustle of the crowds because that was one of my favorite parts of it all, but I have shopped BF every year for the past 15+ years and whether I have money to buy a little or a lot or whether I had to stand in a line in the freezing rain or snow or walked right in the store it was all exciting and fun to me... This year is no different with all the changes, I'm just glad I still get to shop, but I will gladly shop online, cook my Thanksgiving dinner, put my feet up and fall asleep afterwards...
  • Like 6

It is just that type of year. I t has been a whirl wind. With the virus, economy, and the election it just feels like the life has been sucked out of everything. Not to happy right about now but I am thankful. It is these times that really show what we are made of. We have to encourage ourselves and those around us. It is hard but we must overcome, because greater is He that is in us....But on a BF note it is different. We are an elite group of shoppers and we know how to turn a bad shopping experience into one of the best. Be it online or n the store. So lets pull ourselves up and all of you go out there and buy me something nice.... I promise it will make you feel better and make my day......Stop reading and go buy me something......GO!

• Like 6

Yeah, I think a lot of us are just mentally drained.  On top of everything no one has control over (the pandemic), we are being bombarded by hateful campaign ads (from local elections, all the way to the top).  Maybe after the election, moods will improve, and the holiday spirit will show up.  And, in plenty of time for Black Friday! :)

• Like 6

Yeah, I think a lot of us are just mentally drained.  On top of everything no one has control over (the pandemic), we are being bombarded by hateful campaign ads (from local elections, all the way to the top).  Maybe after the election, moods will improve, and the holiday spirit will show up.  And, in plenty of time for Black Friday! :)

I wish they would pass laws banning the political ad's that do nothing but slam the other person. Why don't you try telling me what YOU stand for not why the other person is the devil. OK enough pol babble from me. :)

• Like 8

Maybe with the pandemic it has given us all a little pause as to what is really important... do i really need that? Is it that important? People are dying, many are suffering.. maybe we feel a little guilt in enjoying carefree shopping? I don't know, but I haven't really come across anything motivating me to shop with the same frivolity as usual.
  • Like 7

I wish they would pass laws banning the political ad's that do nothing but slam the other person. Why don't you try telling me what YOU stand for not why the other person is the devil. OK enough pol babble from me. :)

I don't think they'd know what to do if they actually had to talk about their own platforms without bringing up the other side. That one change would transform future run ups to elections.

I was pleasantly surprised that so many stores are closing and hope it stays that way. I think as the years have gone on we've needed less, the kids in the family get older and their Christmas demands get shared later making deals a hope more than the search it used to be. Last year I decided to send small gifts to friends across the country because I just wasn't feeling the spirit at home and wanted to avoid others getting bogged down by the same.

The pandemic has definitely opened my eyes to a lot: things we think we need but don't, things we take for granted and are absolutely scrapping by without, and just some character flaws that perhaps got overlooked in the hustle and bustle of normal fast paced day to day.

• Like 2

I start early every single year, but this year even more so. My crystal ball came with a crack and not knowing what situation we might be in, Christmas gifts were a priority for me during the summer months. 
That being said, I had yet another trip get cancelled last weekend so I started wrapping some of the gifts. It helped me feel what I was hoping to feel, and I have continued shopping and planning. Now I also booked a Disney World trip in December, and a week in Oregon right before Christmas.....so I also need to make certain everything is ready before that. Today I am wrapping, planning, making final lists!! 

• Like 1

wow i am glad i am not the only one...i am actually looking to buy something just to hopefully gt in the mood of shopping.. who ever thought i wouldnt be in the mood to shop!! but for some reaosn i dont even get happy looking at ads

Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. The Pandemic and Election (with the hateful political ads) have wore a lot of us out. I cannot wait for Nov 4th, when all is said and done for the most part. I'd rather get bombarded with the Holiday ads then the political ads every commercial break. Plus a lot of places seeming to something different in regards to Black Friday is a bit odd as well.

• Like 1

I am totally not feeling it this year. I might feel better after the election is over. But I still have a lot of dr. appointments on the horizon.

Luckily my buying list is short because I am not excited about buying anything larger than a flowering plant.

I did find an amazing photo I am going to get copied and framed for my BIL.

Hope we get tons of snow this year but that is not forecast either.

I started to decorate a bit. I know it’s early but everyone is feeling so blah. I just want to get in the mood. I’ve been slowly shopping amd now watching Christmas

Movies. It’s helping lol

Yes....That will do it. Before you know it you will have a big smile on your face, singing Christmas songs, and it will be infectious to everyone around you, 

I started to decorate a bit. I know it’s early but everyone is feeling so blah. I just want to get in the mood. I’ve been slowly shopping amd now watching Christmas

Movies. It’s helping lol

I literally just drug out one of my pencil trees from the closet to put up today.  It has its own spot so no furniture rearranging or the like and won’t be in the way.  Bring on Christmas I say.  Plus I need something new in my living room to look while I’m staying in.  :)

• Like 1

I am definitely lagging behind in excitement this year. I think part of it is the lack of balance between work/home life now that I'm at home full-time. I need to get better at turning off the work part, so I can focus on the ones that matter in my home.  Also, usually by now I have hockey season pushing me along; this year it looks very different and I think we are all just missing our normal crazy schedule.  I have mostly cut myself off from almost all social media due to election craziness, which has probably helped me more than I realize.   

• Like 1

I am normally close to being half way done shopping now with a list already written out fo rthe rest of the gifts I need to get ... Not This Year! I don;t even think I am 20% done and I am clueless as what to get some people this year.... well really haven't put in much thought either. 

Not in the mood, either.  The only people we buy for are our daughter, SIL and 1yo granddaughter.  Unfortunately they live in NY and we are in DE so we aren't allowed in the state unless we quarantine for 2 weeks before visiting them.  :gdcensored:   If things don't improve either they won't get their presents for a long time or else they will have to meet us somewhere in PA so we can exchange them.  I have all theirs but a Visa GC for SIL purchased and I won't get that until Dec 1st when I can get it without an activation fee from AAA.  It just won't be the same without spending it with them.  I still have to buy for DH but we have had some house repairs and had to buy a new TV the beginning of this week as ours died.  And wouldn't you know that the model we bought isn't one of them on sale at BB so we can't get them to price match.  Will keep watching though.

Edited by cinnamon16201

I have a lot of things to buy, but with all of these sales broken out it is messing up my rhythm. Don't know whether to buy now, wait until mid month or the end of the month? It's so scattered, I'm all over the place.

I second that. I need to make a list of the sales I want and what day there starting. It is crazy how things are just dropping all over the place. 

• Like 1

It doesn't feel the same. It is hard to shop at places that have a minimum for free shipping when they spread the days they add the Black Friday deals in. Wal Mart has deals starting on Wednesday and add more on Saturday. But, just like on Black Friday, you have to be there online when the deal starts to get the stuff or it's gone-so no getting both sale items together to get the free shipping.. Even finding additional items to get the free shipping is hard so the item doesn't get sold out before you check out...and paying the shipping makes the "great deal" go away....as does buying their new program that offers free shipping. Maybe I'll get the hang of it if Black Friday is this way next year. lol

I feel as well as if not into it.  I think for me it is not just the lack of crowd, or even the spread out nature of the ads.  I also have both gotten to the point where I doubt I feel I really need much, but also due to the economic and governmental changes that have occurred from March to October this year I feel myself much more cautious with my spending, especially for discretionary items which is mostly what Black Friday is for me.

• Like 1

Love your tree and the box is great!  I’m going to work on mine today.   

now I have a dumb question......how do you post your pictures here?   Have such trouble with this every year!  Lol.  

upload your photos to Imgur or photobucket (I'm not sure that one still works). Then copy the direct link.  On the toolbar at the top of your text box here, there's a little square (i think it's supposed to be a frame). Click that box and paste your link in there.  I hope that makes sense.  If I were telling people at work how to do something like this, I would include screenshots. LOL

• Like 1