Informal poll about your holiday shopping plans & thoughts

Brad

Holiday Shopping Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When do you plan to start your holiday shopping compared to previous years?

• much earlier (or already started)
    • slightly earlier
    • around the same time
    • slightly later
    • much later
  2. 2. How much do you intend to spend on your holiday shopping compared to previous years?

• much less
    • slightly less
    • around the same
    • slightly more
    • much more
  3. 3. What types of products do you think will be the most popular this year?

• electronics
    • toys
    • video games
    • home & kitchen items
    • clothing & accessories
    • food & drink
    • sporting goods
    • tools & hardware
    • movies, music & books
    • gift cards
  4. 4. How do you think your amount of online shopping will compared to previous years?

• much less
    • slightly less
    • about the same
    • slightly more
    • much more
  5. 5. Which store(s) do you think will be best equipped to handle the likely increase in online orders?

• Amazon
    • Walmart
    • Target
    • Kohl's
    • Best Buy
    • Sam's Club
    • Macy's
    • Costco
    • Home Depot
    • Wayfair
    • Lowe's
    • GameStop
    • Dick's Sporting Goods
  6. 6. Do you think any of the major retailers will have a "true" Black Friday sale (likely starting on Friday, only 1 or 2 days long)?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  7. 7. As things stand now, do you anticipate yourself shopping in stores on Black Friday this year?

• definitely
    • probably
    • not sure
    • probably not
    • definitely not
  8. 8. Do you think that Thanksgiving store openings will return in either 2021 or 2022?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
  9. 9. How concerned are you about your online purchases being delivered on time this year?

• very concerned
    • slightly concerned
    • not at all concerned
  10. 10. Is your glass...

• half full
    • half empty
    • twice as big as it needs to be

I kind of feel like doing gift cards or cash this year.  Jeff Bezos has profited so much from this pandemic and treats his workers poorly so I would like to spend my money elsewhere, but it is hard to get away from their selection and speed of delivery.  I would love to support brick and mortar stores more, but I have been avoiding public spaces as much as possible.  I don't really like going into stores in a good year....

Thats why I do a lot of Walmart.com.  Very speedy shipping here but I dont think it is usually next day. Some of our friends work at walmart too and they are great with grocerys. Ymmv

• Like 1

I think I will be doing more online shopping than usual, but if there ever was a year to support local businesses this is the one. I don't mind pick up or curbside. Tough thing is most of my gifts are for children, and it's hard to find local stores that have what I'm looking for other than a small book store.
  • Like 1

First time poster here. Used a site that was just shutdown. It’s nice to see activity on here. I’m looking forward to seeing how this year plays out. I like the idea of starting sales earlier. However I know that’s a really easy way to overspend.

Welcome! You will love it here.

• Like 1

I kind of feel like doing gift cards or cash this year.  Jeff Bezos has profited so much from this pandemic and treats his workers poorly so I would like to spend my money elsewhere, but it is hard to get away from their selection and speed of delivery.  I would love to support brick and mortar stores more, but I have been avoiding public spaces as much as possible.  I don't really like going into stores in a good year....

The only problem I have with gift cards is all the store closings. I would hate to give a gift card that isn't honored. 

Amazon shipping hasn't been all that fast at times during the pandemic- actually, it started getting slower even before that. I plan to order earlier than normal for the people I need to send presents to. 

• Like 2

The only problem I have with gift cards is all the store closings. I would hate to give a gift card that isn't honored.

Amazon shipping hasn't been all that fast at times during the pandemic- actually, it started getting slower even before that. I plan to order earlier than normal for the people I need to send presents to.

I agree with you on the gift cards if I give any right now I do them from my credit union. There are no fees for me or the user like someone visa gift cards I haven’t had them personalized but it is an option too. I would also do bigger stores like Target

I officially bought the first gifts of the season about 2 weeks ago... Online shopping and in-store for me, same as last year, only I need to pay attention to shipping times... I work p/t at one of the box stores so the discount comes in handy [emoji2960]... I will miss the hustle and bustle and going to the store early, grabbing my items and jumping in line to be the 2nd or 3rd person to cash out when the registers open up (sigh)... the experience will definitely be different this year [emoji53]

I agree with you on the gift cards if I give any right now I do them from my credit union. There are no fees for me or the user like someone visa gift cards I haven’t had them personalized but it is an option too. I would also do bigger stores like Target

Credit unions process gift cards? I never knew that but it is a scary thing for them to go to waste. I found a 25 TRU giftcard last Christmas.

I usually head to the mall once a year for BF but since we just had a shop in the mall 2 weeks ago with no arrests I will be bypassing it this year. Don't want to be there if that was just a trial run to see how things were handled

We are not camping again this year due to crazy and violent types out there. We will however enjoy shopping instore and online.

My goal is to be done by the end of October as I am close to being done now. Shipping concerns me as I have items that are taking 2 weeks or more to be delivered and some items only take 2 days. So I don't won't to stress over disappointing my kids with late gifts I am going to get this done soon.

• Like 3

My goal is to be done by the end of October as I am close to being done now. Shipping concerns me as I have items that are taking 2 weeks or more to be delivered and some items only take 2 days. So I don't won't to stress over disappointing my kids with late gifts I am going to get this done soon.

Sounds like a plan but I do not have a clue on what they want. I have asked and I get the shoulder shrugs meaning they just want money and dont know how to just say it. At this point that may be easiest for me.

I'm thinking we will have a surge in kitchen/home goods this year.  Especially considering most of the country has been cooped up since March.  Possibly home improvement tools, also, although I would have expected those to have been purchased March/April/May when people got bored.

I'm thinking we will have a surge in kitchen/home goods this year.  Especially considering most of the country has been cooped up since March.  Possibly home improvement tools, also, although I would have expected those to have been purchased March/April/May when people got bored.

That is something to consider. I wanted a new miter saw to build some stuff versus buying it myself. There is a lot of DIY instructions online for the common things we spend a lot of money on. 

I just can't buy early.  i like to shop when I'm listening to Christmas music and my decorations are up (early).  I'm wanting consoles so that is the only stressor this year.

The music is what really sets me in the mood. Oh the weather out side is frightful, but the fire is so delightful....oh how I love it

• Like 1

Personally, I think going door to door for any reason is probably a bad idea.  Even if the visitor is careful, there is no way to ensure the person on the other side of the door will be.  These people are potential super spreaders that target those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.  I don't think shopping is particularly risky (remember CDC said 15 minutes in close proximity to someone who is infected).  Seriously, how is picking apples more risky than grabbing a bag at the grocer?  Has anyone ever put an apple back on a tree?  I'm glad I have an excuse not to travel on Thanksgiving.  I'd really like to stay home for Christmas for the first time in decades.  I won't miss the CDC when things get back to normal.

Here’s how the CDC ranks each Thanksgiving tradition:

Lower risk activities

• Having a small dinner with only people who live in your household
  • Preparing traditional family recipes for family and neighbors, especially those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19, and delivering them in a way that doesn’t involve contact with others
  • Having a virtual dinner and sharing recipes with friends and family
  • Shopping online rather than in person on the day after Thanksgiving or the next Monday
  • Watching sports events, parades, and movies from home

Moderate risk activities

• Having a small outdoor dinner with family and friends who live in your community
  • Visiting pumpkin patches or orchards where people use hand sanitizer before touching pumpkins or picking apples, wearing masks is encouraged or enforced, and people are able to maintain social distancing
  • Attending small outdoor sports events with safety precautions in place

Higher risk activities

• Going shopping in crowded stores just before, on, or after Thanksgiving
  • Participating or being a spectator at a crowded race
  • Attending crowded parades
  • Using alcohol or drugs, which can cloud judgment and increase risky behaviors
  • Attending large indoor gatherings with people from outside of your household
Edited by len_mullen
  • Like 1