Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Official Store Bankruptcy & Closures Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 9, 2020 - 2:25 pm

JCPenney update:

https://www.usatoday...ers/5761731002/

https://ir.jcpenney....with-brookfield

#32 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 9, 2020 - 4:08 pm

Interesting development.  Simon vs Walmart vs Amazon?

#33 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,893 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 4:01 am

Pretty interesting. If the malls control many stores then the problem with astronomical rent prices becomes less of an issue which in turn helps the store with prices and profits which then helps the malls themselves make money.

#34 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 10, 2020 - 3:18 pm

Yeah this seems to be the mall owners doing what they can to stop yet another big anchor store from leaving many of their malls.

The only question is whether they are content to allow JCPenney to continue losing money as long as they stay open and bring people (and tenants) to their malls, or if, now that they own it, they'll make more significant changes to try and turn things around for JCP.

#35 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,893 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 11, 2020 - 11:54 am

I can see them making changes to help them along. Even if it ends up being a break even on the stores part it's still a win for the mall owner.

#36 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 14, 2020 - 4:29 am

Yeah this seems to be the mall owners doing what they can to stop yet another big anchor store from leaving many of their malls.

The only question is whether they are content to allow JCPenney to continue losing money as long as they stay open and bring people (and tenants) to their malls, or if, now that they own it, they'll make more significant changes to try and turn things around for JCP.

This is my thoughts exactly. Had they lost Penneys then that would be it for most malls. So many stores have closed - Gymboree, Justice, New York and Comp, etc all mall staples. 

#37 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 21,798 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 14, 2020 - 4:53 am

This is my thoughts exactly. Had they lost Penneys then that would be it for most malls. So many stores have closed - Gymboree, Justice, New York and Comp, etc all mall staples. 

Don't forget Sears and the Bon-Ton family of stores which also were big anchors at many malls (at least around here).

#38 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 15, 2020 - 7:39 am

Don't forget Sears and the Bon-Ton family of stores which also were big anchors at many malls (at least around here).

Yes, my sears is gone too. We did not have many Bon Ton but I did order from them on line around the holidays

#39 berry1014  OFFLINE  

berry1014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 16, 2020 - 9:00 am

Some of the malls around me that lost some of it's anchor stores replaced them with Targets, Dick sporting goods, bowling alleys which has increased the foot traffic at those malls. 

#40 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 18, 2020 - 6:33 am

Some of the malls around me that lost some of it's anchor stores replaced them with Targets, Dick sporting goods, bowling alleys which has increased the foot traffic at those malls. 

A bowling alley at the mall ? That is a good idea. Large open area for arcade games and such .... Let me check if I just came up with a new business model for my area.

#41 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,637 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 19, 2020 - 4:14 am

A bowling alley at the mall ? That is a good idea. Large open area for arcade games and such .... Let me check if I just came up with a new business model for my area.

The future of malls -- community centers.  I have seen two shopping centers built at new housing projects near major highways.  Both are bus stops as well.  Work all day, take the bus home, work out at the gym, and grab milk and eggs on your way to your condo.  They have wifi on the buses, but now they need to figure out how to socially distance people on their commute.

#42 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Sep 19, 2020 - 6:32 am

The future of malls -- community centers.  I have seen two shopping centers built at new housing projects near major highways.  Both are bus stops as well.  Work all day, take the bus home, work out at the gym, and grab milk and eggs on your way to your condo.  They have wifi on the buses, but now they need to figure out how to socially distance people on their commute.

Wow, that is good. I need to come from under my rock a little more 

#43 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 2,893 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 20, 2020 - 5:34 am

I should buy a mall and turn it into condos and fun center combined add in some stores and restaurants. Never have to leave the grounds if I turn some stores into businesses.

#44 jesusluvu  OFFLINE  

jesusluvu

• 1,729 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Yesterday, 6:07 am

I should buy a mall and turn it into condos and fun center combined add in some stores and restaurants. Never have to leave the grounds if I turn some stores into businesses.

I would partner with you but I think this will be too expensive. Lets go on Shark Tank and get them to pay for it. I will give Mr.Wonderful 50% and still make a killing

#45 freesia39  OFFLINE  

freesia39

• 12,276 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Yesterday, 6:35 am

That's what dense urban housing should look like - shopping and necessities on the bottom level, housing on top, near transit. But neighbors love fighting these proposals. Believe me. Happens here nonstop.

GO BRUINS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users