Not as into it this year..

stewarta4

Regarding those pillows, if you have a Macy's nearby, you can get one for free after $10 mail-in rebate (see ad page 1).  Just don't forget to submit the rebate form and receipt.  It is one per household this year, but if you team up with someone with another address, you can get more than one if you buy and submit each separately. :)

Thanks for the tip, not sure if I'm going to the mall this year or I'd try it. I always forget rebates though so I usually avoid them.

Thanks for the tip, not sure if I'm going to the mall this year or I'd try it. I always forget rebates though so I usually avoid them.

Tuesday Morning has My Pillows for $19.99 this week - if your store still has some.   That's a steal considering that pillow retails for like $50.00.

• Like 1

Have you tried one? Thinking about getting hubby one for Christmas - but wasn't really sure if they are just hype or really good.

I don't have one, but I do not know a SINGLE person who owns one who does not think it is worth the money.  (I could sleep on the ground in February using a balled up jacket as a pillow.)

Yes! Definitely miss the old black Friday Friday's. I get most of my shopping done online now but a few of us diehards still go out Friday morning and hit some stores. I tag along for the camaraderie, the pressure is pretty much off so I just enjoy being in the moment and running the stores with family. I'm sure eventually I will stop going out.

I have a different angle...I don't celebrate the holidays (religious reasons). My reason for loving black friday has always been because it was a fun time that me and my sister would spend together. Whether we were far apart, going through issues, whatever, we always had black friday! We would get up when it was still dark, meet at the local Denny's for breakfast at about 2 or 3  :gdpancake:  (I'm always late, lol) then be in line at walmart by 4 hot chocolate in hand :gdmornincoffee: , in the freezing cold, waiting for 6am! It was the best time ever! Of course there was the bonus of watching the craziness going on all around us. Now things have changed, most of the shopping is online, we don't need a lot, etc., but we still get together. We will do our online shopping for the big things we can get online, then we meet up to get that one doorbuster you can't get online, or the free with rebate items at Macy's, :gdclap:  We still manage to stay out for hours picking up little things at several stores. The BEST part is it is still that one day a year where I get to hang out with my sister...we're not freezing, but we're having fun!   :gdgirlfight3ol:  Love you sis!   :gdhug5:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Went out this morning around 8:00 to pick up the 32" monitor I bought at staples.com for $104.99.  First thing I noticed was a pile of packages from Target and Amazon at my front door.  We got in around 6:30 last night and they were not there then.  There may have been ten shoppers at Staples and the registers were clear.  As I was leaving someone called.  It was this guy I have been BF'ing with for 30 years.  Nothing formal.  We just tend to end up at the same places about the same time.  I guess it's tradition.  He and I shopped Staples, Home Depot, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  Made some kind of purchase at each.  Then we parted company as I continued to Kohls to pick up a couple things.  Shaws and Aldis for groceries, then back home.

Beautiful, sunny day with temps in the mid 30s.  Crowds weren't bad.  I got everything I wanted.  Nice start to my holiday season.

Christmas was never better than when our kids were young.  I never slept Christmas Eve -- assembling this, wrapping that, and drinking...Christmas cheer.  My kids are grown, my wife has passed, and things are a lot different.  I have a lot of the things I used to stand in line for.  I don't need much at all.  I rarely stand in line.  Despite all of this, I am 'into it' more this year than I have been in a decade.  I can't explain it, but I will be in the stores even if I don't have a shopping list.

I content myself to vicariously share in the joy of young families.  Christmas cheer is not achieved at the cash register.  If you are not enjoying BF as a consumer, shut off your computer and walk around the stores.  Enjoy the decorations.  Watch the kids with Santa.  Remember how it was.

Clicking stuff on a computer is not the same as shopping at a B&M.  Get out and enjoy the holidays with other people.

In the 'olden days' a bunch of us geeks would stand in line at Staples for free-after-rebate discs and steeply discounted computer parts.  After a while, closets filled and enthusiasm wane.  We would run into each at the time that the store opened.  Yesterday I was picking up my new 32" display when someone called my name.  It was one of those guys.  It was nearly 9:00am, so this was unexpected.  We ended up shopping the rest of the stores in the shopping center together.  In Bed, Bath, and Beyond, he called his wife to ask about a potential gift.  He said, "Guess who I'm with."  And I heard my name.  Very nice surprise.

Christmas tree goes up tonight.

• Like 4