Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

When do you put up your Christmas tree/decorations?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Turtle Mommy  OFFLINE  

Turtle Mommy

Bargain Shopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 18, 2018 - 5:51 am

I normally put up everything up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I might do it earlier this year. We bought a new home last year with really high ceilings. I,of course had(okay so had is a really strong word..LOL!) to order a new tree. We found a great deal on one from Balsam hill and it is BEAUTIFUL. I want to enjoy it a little longer. We shall see! :sidesplit :sidesplit

#32 the best mom  OFFLINE  

the best mom

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6 Posts
  • Member since 2012

Posted Today, 9:37 am

Long ago, when I was in grad school, I waitressed and, worked in retail to help pay for my schooling, apartment and any/everything else that I could stretch those funds to cover.

Working in retail means that when the holiday season hits, you're always working- no time off. And, almost all retail stores have all their decorations up on Nov. 1st. 

So I took my cue from Filenes "Display Design Team"- thanks Mary!- and started my own decorating on Veterans Day weekend, so that I would be finished before Thanksgiving. Then, all I had to do was enjoy the lights and decorations when I was home from school/work.

After I was married, no longer working in retail ( I'm a teacher), and had our baby, we continued that tradition.

It has made the holidays so much more enjoyable.

It's such a short season, and we want to enjoy every minute of it.

Our family's "Traditional Christmas decorating expectations" :

1.  On Veterans Day Weekend, all tubs of indoor Christmas decorations- lit garland for staircases and mantle, un-lit garland for the windows, indoor wreaths, candles for the windows, kids artwork ( they still love to see their holiday school projects year after year), tree decorations, and our menorah  :holiday06  (we're a multi-faith family) are brought in from the garage loft and into the utility area of the basement. :holiday03  

2. All outside decorations- white lights, wreaths & garland- go up on Veterans Day Weekend. They're checked to make sure everything is in working order and ready to go. We live in New England, and it gets cold...Brrr... Plus, we like to do the outside before there's snow on the ground. :holiday14

3. We've been fortunate to have our kids return home from college for Thanksgiving break on the Friday before Thanksgiving. So we start decorating inside our home the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Christmas music playlists start playing, the tree goes up :holiday07  after everything else is up. Every year before we start decorating the tree, my husband and kids are each given their first gift of the season- a new ornament that has a meaning and sentiment specific to each, and we add them to our tree. That tradition began with our first born son. We thought it would be great for the kids to have their own ornaments to take with them when they were grown, living on their own, and starting their new lives and traditions. :hearthrob 

This year, we're losing our baby to his girlfriends family home in Tennessee for Thanksgiving break. It's all good. 

He'll receive his new ornament for the tree when they come home to spend Christmas with us. Yay!

4. We take family pictures for our Christmas card on Thanksgiving weekend -both in NYC with family- and, again when we return home Sat. night before everyone heads back to college and/or new home/ career on Sunday afternoon. We'll have to figure out something new for this years card!

5. No lights-outside or inside- are turned on until Thanksgiving night. Thank goodness for timers. We love when we return home from NYC, pull into the driveway and see everything decorated and lit up. It's so beautiful!

6. Once we're all in and relatively unpacked, we get jammies on and head into the family room to watch "Elf" with hot cocoa, and popcorn. Tradition!

We take everything down and pack it away on or before Dec. 28th. So much fun when we do this with all the kids.

An impending snowstorm or ice storm is the guide for taking down the outside decorations.

While we love the season, we also like to have the house back to normal and enjoy the rest of winter break entertaining, skiing, hanging, playing games or, just plain chilling out and getting ready to celebrate New Year's Eve with family and friends.

It's getting close to Veterans Day... Can't wait!

Edited by the best mom, Today, 9:47 am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

chachn8r