Guests, please register to remove all of the banner ads on the forums. It's fast, easy and completely free!

Photo

Official Black Friday TVs (HD & 4K) Discussion Thread

4 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 20,412 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Sep 5, 2017 - 7:06 am

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

#2 Pnambic  OFFLINE  

Pnambic

Can't re-Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 1:11 pm

Couple thoughts to start the discussion.

- 4K Media - How much are we seeing out there?  Where is it?  How do we get it?  Is it worth it?

- We had HDR10 and Dolby Vision as the two competing HDR formats last year.  Now we have two more major players in HLG and Advanced HDR.  So, how's that "future-proofing" working out for you?

- What do you know about ATSC 3.0?  Looks like another hardware revolution that will require at minimum new set-top boxes.

Da-shiang bad-tza shr duh lah doo-tze!

#3 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,296 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 5:13 pm

I work in the motion picture business and I am starting to see the studios releasing titles in 4K.  Most of them are new titles from the last 5 years.  I am not seeing much in classic titles.  

The price point for 4K is $22 and up.  I do think 4K is here to stay and wont be another tech like 3D.  

#4 len_mullen  OFFLINE  

len_mullen

• 1,014 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Sep 7, 2017 - 6:36 pm

Couple thoughts to start the discussion.

- 4K Media - How much are we seeing out there?  Where is it?  How do we get it?  Is it worth it?

- We had HDR10 and Dolby Vision as the two competing HDR formats last year.  Now we have two more major players in HLG and Advanced HDR.  So, how's that "future-proofing" working out for you?

- What do you know about ATSC 3.0?  Looks like another hardware revolution that will require at minimum new set-top boxes.

Tons of potential for this discussion to drift off topic.  Should be fun.

I just bought a 55" 4k HDR television.  I mostly bought it because it was an inexpensive Roku TV and I needed a set for a place I cannot get to with coax or ethernet.  I think it looks pretty good.  $400 well spent.

- There is a lot of 4k programming available and it is featured prominently on this Roku TV.  Mostly, though, it isn't worth watching.

- Future-proofing is not possible at this time.

- ATSC 3.0 will be almost as important as 3D tv in the home.

#5 Kanyon71  OFFLINE  

Kanyon71

• 1,649 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Sep 8, 2017 - 4:39 am

We ended up with a 4K for our bedroom last year. Went with the 50" LG 4K. It was a good price for the quality of the set 4K or not. We have watched a few of our TV shows off Netflix in 4K and I have to say for the most part it is nice looking, things definitely look sharper and more detailed. I can't say it's SD to HD type improvement but it's nice none the less. If all things are equal then to me 4K is worth it, nothing lost in getting one for the right price.

As for future proofing this is technology just like any other, smart money in tech always tells you nothing is truly future proof. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users