Official Black Friday TVs (HD & 4K) Discussion Thread

Brad

I agree with not bothering with Hitachi.

As for the Samsungs, I've been looking at these as well, so I went to see them on display in the store today. Rtings.com wasn't kidding when they said picture degrades rapidly when viewed at an angle. If you will have it directly in front of the bed, it will be a great TV. If it will be off at an angle, it won't be your best choice. In my observations, the LG or even a Vizio work better at angles.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

I'm about the furthest thing from being a videophile (much more into audio, actually), but personally I wouldn't even keep the Hitachi on a list with those other choices.  I understand it's going in your bedroom, but do your eyes become less discerning when you enter the bedroom?  (Don't answer that.....lol!)

Myself, I'd look at the two Samsungs.  They are almost identical except the 6290 gives up all Bluetooth connectivity and has a much more basic remote.....the remote is what may tip the balance towards the 6300 in my eyes. 

The LG's good, but I more favor the Samsung.

What about this one   Samsung UN55MU6490 It is a curved TV and same price as the UN55MU6300 but has more HDMI and USB slots.   Does anyone have a curved TV   Is it better to see from the side? Not that it really matters since the bed is straight ahead.  I do have a chaise to the left of the TV and was thinking of changing the stand I have now which is stationary to one that turns if I am sitting there.  I am so confused  LOL

What about this one Samsung UN55MU6490 It is a curved TV and same price as the UN55MU6300 but has more HDMI and USB slots. Does anyone have a curved TV Is it better to see from the side? Not that it really matters since the bed is straight ahead. I do have a chaise to the left of the TV and was thinking of changing the stand I have now which is stationary to one that turns if I am sitting there. I am so confused LOL

That one is to the MU6500 what the MU6290 is to the MU6300. Saw these in the stores today as well. They did seem to fare a bit better when you view them from an angle than the 6290/6300 do. Not sure if it was directly related to the curved screen, but that would be my guess.

That one is to the MU6500 what the MU6290 is to the MU6300. Saw these in the stores today as well. They did seem to fare a bit better when you view them from an angle than the 6290/6300 do. Not sure if it was directly related to the curved screen, but that would be my guess.

Thank you .  So the difference is the Remote. Says the remote can replace all remotes?  Since I use cable which does the same it really does not matter. Not sure if I want to go up anther $100 for the 6500 but do like the curved look LOL

Just curious.....want a 50"-55" TV for my "office".  Looking to spend no more than $550.  I will avoid TV's from Sharp, Toshiba, TCL, Westinghouse, Element, Insignia, et al, for the most part.

From what I've seen at BB, Target, Newegg, Amazon, etc., the Samsung UN50MU6300 appears to fit my wants pretty close.  $424 from Newegg (although I wish it was avail. for that price almost anywhere else). 

Any better suggestions?  Did see an LG 55UJ6540....its HDR seems to work a bit better than the Samsung above, but its price is almost $600 and doubt it's going on sale.

I think you would be hard pressed to do better than this...

55" 4K HDR for $314.49 if you pick it up yourself!   https://www.target.com/p/tcl-55-4k-120hz-cmi-roku-smart-led-tv-black-55s405-/-/A-50480469?clkid=47a8437eNf72d3af3432916af2e4346d6&lnm=360518&afid=Slickdeals%20LLC&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002   TCL 55" 4K 120Hz CMI Roku Smart LED TV - Black (55S405)

?ui=2&ik=a75ac4ab0e&view=fimg&th=15fd3ed

Ratings here...

I think you would be hard pressed to do better than this...

55" 4K HDR for $314.49 if you pick it up yourself!   https://www.target.com/p/tcl-55-4k-120hz-cmi-roku-smart-led-tv-black-55s405-/-/A-50480469?clkid=47a8437eNf72d3af3432916af2e4346d6&lnm=360518&afid=Slickdeals%20LLC&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002   TCL 55" 4K 120Hz CMI Roku Smart LED TV - Black (55S405)

Ratings here...

I have a TCL smart TV with Roku, its not even 2 years old yet and the motherboard has been replaced 2x  

Wittenlover, I just ordered from Target the UN55MU6290 for $499.  Since it is on the wall across from the foot of my bed it is a straight view should not have a problem with side view. I was going to get the curved one for $599 but my Daughter talked me out of it, saying I did not need it since its a straight view LOL  Now I can remove the TCL with ROKU 55" Smart wall ornament off my wall  It is less than 2 years old and the motherboard has been replaced 2x already, first was  when it was 4 months old, 2nd time 2 weeks ago.  I waited a while could not find my receipt for the extended warranty should have been fixed by a year old.  

• Like 1

Wittenlover, I just ordered from Target the UN55MU6290 for $499. Since it is on the wall across from the foot of my bed it is a straight view should not have a problem with side view. I was going to get the curved one for $599 but my Daughter talked me out of it, saying I did not need it since its a straight view LOL Now I can remove the TCL with ROKU 55" Smart wall ornament off my wall It is less than 2 years old and the motherboard has been replaced 2x already, first was when it was 4 months old, 2nd time 2 weeks ago. I waited a while could not find my receipt for the extended warranty should have been fixed by a year old.

The Samsung is a beautiful TV for direct line viewing. Given your setup, it's a good fit. Hope you enjoy it! :)

OK... So I've been wrapping up my actual in-store recon (for now) on TVs. Settled on a model and size that I really like, given my somewhat limited budget - the Sony XBR49X800E. Problem: Lowest price I've seen (new) is still $100 over my max budget right now. Guess no TV for me yet. Maybe before the "big game". (But absolutely let me know if you guys happen to see this model around the $600 price point!) 

I want a bigger tv but the reviews are mixed on all of them. I want a 65in. I looked at the Samsung and Vizio but each has its on limitation. Sam's has the vizio for 600 but it is just an oversized monitor Picture looks good in store but that image is usually an uploaded picture and not true streaming. The Samsung in Target paper has issues as well. Not sure if it is even FULL HDR

I want a bigger tv but the reviews are mixed on all of them. I want a 65in. I looked at the Samsung and Vizio but each has its on limitation. Sam's has the vizio for 600 but it is just an oversized monitor Picture looks good in store but that image is usually an uploaded picture and not true streaming. The Samsung in Target paper has issues as well. Not sure if it is even FULL HDR

I literally did recon in several stores, looking at the same models, to see how the picture looked on the TVs, for exactly the reason you state. I got lucky at BB, as there was another couple there actually planning on purchasing a TV that night and they had a sales guy get some actual content up from a USB stick he had. I stuck close to observe. Not quite actual streaming, but far better than the stock demos they run on most TVs. 

You can read all the reviews you want (and they do have very good information) but it really comes down to what you like best for your specific situation (as I'm sure you well know). If you're not in a rush, hold off for now, keep doing more recon, and wait for the sales in January after CES. You might get an even better deal than you can this weekend on a great set that will tick all the boxes for what you're looking for. 

• Like 1

Could not agree more.  Remember that Walmart takes TVs back up to 90 days for any/no reason.  The best deal I ever got on a TV was the weekend OF the Superbowl.  I was tenting with the Boy Scouts when I got notified of a 60" 1080p LG set for <$600.  I would not have a chance to see it before the purchase, but bought with confidence knowing Walmart would take the set back.  The first HDTV I bought was also sight unseen.  The price (BestBuy) was so good, I just bought it, but I scheduled delivery so far out that I could cancel if I changed my mind.  Still have that 720p 55" Samsung from 2008 and it still looks great.

• Like 1

Just curious.....want a 50"-55" TV for my "office". Looking to spend no more than $550. I will avoid TV's from Sharp, Toshiba, TCL, Westinghouse, Element, Insignia, et al, for the most part.

From what I've seen at BB, Target, Newegg, Amazon, etc., the Samsung UN50MU6300 appears to fit my wants pretty close. $424 from Newegg (although I wish it was avail. for that price almost anywhere else).

Any better suggestions? Did see an LG 55UJ6540....its HDR seems to work a bit better than the Samsung above, but its price is almost $600 and doubt it's going on sale.

You are avoiding a great tv in the P605 55 inch from Besy buy. The insignia TVs are great for the office with roku built in. Is it truly an office or are you primarily wanting to watch 4k movies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile app

• Like 1

OK I asked before but got no answer

Any thoughts on the following. It is for the bedroom.

60" Hitachi at Sams Club

Samsung UN55MU6290

Samsung UN55MU6300

LG 55J6300

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I am fine with either of the last two but I am partial to the LG. Their android operating system is so good. And I believe that television also has HDR unless you try to go to Best Buy and it'll tell you otherwise always go to the manufacturer site first for your information.

Hmmm....not sure where this would best go. Is there ANY benefit of having 4K bluray player with a 1080p TV? Will the 4K discs look any better than the bluray? I'm thinking might be worth the difference for whenever I upgrade but not completely sold on the idea yet.

It will if you get a 4K Blu-ray player that will last like the Oppo 203. That one is very expensive but built like a tank and you have to go to the manufacturer to get it. I would wait until you actually get a 4K TV set with HDR before purchasing any 4K equipment for longevity sake

I agree with not bothering with Hitachi.

As for the Samsungs, I've been looking at these as well, so I went to see them on display in the store today. Rtings.com wasn't kidding when they said picture degrades rapidly when viewed at an angle. If you will have it directly in front of the bed, it will be a great TV. If it will be off at an angle, it won't be your best choice. In my observations, the LG or even a Vizio work better at angles.

And to add to that if you can swing it and you ain't angles are not that great purchase a dual arm articulating wall mount. That will take care of bad viewing angles in most cases

I am not a fan of the curved TV and by the looks of it neither are many others because of the fire sales going on right now and just last year they were all the rage

Sorry I've been out of it the last week....had a death in the family and have been crazy busy transporting the family halfway across the country on no notice and dealing with funeral homes, florists, church schedules, upset family, not to mention work and school, etc...

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.

Have you checked your ground outside to see if it's attached or properly grounded. My LG went out twice because of the non-existent ground where the Earth ground should be

Yes, that is all good. Hubby is an electrician and keeps up with all that. He added extra to what cable co put in when we built house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using GottaDEAL mobile app

• Like 1

Sorry I've been out of it the last week....had a death in the family and have been crazy busy transporting the family halfway across the country on no notice and dealing with funeral homes, florists, church schedules, upset family, not to mention work and school, etc...

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll.

So sorry to hear, Pnambic. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving in spite of all the craziness. 

That is great. I have seen since my episode where two grounds are actually recommended

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using GottaDEAL mobile aCondil

May I ask how these 2 tvs compare?  I can get this one Samsung UN55MU6071 from AAFES for $399 no tax ,  and I purchased this one from Target on Sunday UN55MU5290 for $450 with tax.    Curious if they are the same.  6071 has the smart remote.  It is for my bedroom and want the best price if possible if the same TV.  Straight on view. I know its only a $50 difference.

Edited by racerfan
  • Like 1

May I ask how these 2 tvs compare? I can get this one Samsung UN55MU6071 from AAFES for $399 no tax , and I purchased this one from Target on Sunday UN55MU5290 for $450 with tax. Curious if they are the same. 6071 has the smart remote. It is for my bedroom and want the best price if possible if the same TV. Straight on view. I know its only a $50 difference.

According to sources that 6071 is a brand new TV similar to the 6290 in specs. The reason it is so hard to find that the release date is tomorrow. There is a bounce-back coupon that could take the cost even lower if one of you is a veteran

According to sources that 6071 is a brand new TV similar to the 6290 in specs. The reason it is so hard to find that the release date is tomorrow. There is a bounce-back coupon that could take the cost even lower if one of you is a veteran

My son is active duty. I do know veterans. What is a bounce back coupon? How much?

My son is active duty. I do know veterans. What is a bounce back coupon? How much?

Its a,preorder on the AAFES website

https://www.vetverify.org

The bounce back coupon is expired. 21st

He veterans bounce-back coupon expired on the 21st

:( Thank you. I think I will order it.