USA Today article: "Is Black Friday dead?"

Brad

Interesting!  With being able to order online, I know I don't spend as much time in stores as I used to.  I buy what I can online and then pick it up in store IF I find it there just in case.  I know my daughters have gone the past two years and couldn't understand the hoopla.  I told them they have no idea what we used to do standing in freezing cold temps waiting for a 4-6 AM opening at stores.  That was always part of the challenge.

I think it's growing for online sales because people in general don't seem to be real happy with having to shop in store on Thanksgiving. That's why we shop online for things, won't go out on Thursday so we have to shop online to get some of the stuff we know will most likely be gone by the time we get to the stores super early Friday morning.

I agree with most of the article, but BF is not dead and will not die until EVERY B&M has a complete online infrastructure.  The reason for Black Friday is not the sales.  The reason for Black Friday is that it is the long weekend before Christmas.  For working people, it is the first reasonable chance to get some shopping done.  Because of this, there are a lot of consumers in the stores.  Because of this, there is more money spent.  Because of this, retailers compete more fiercely.  They KNOW a lot of Christmas money will be spent that weekend and want as much of it as possible.

The name itself affirms this.  This weekend, because of the volume of sales, puts most retailers in the Black for the year (i.e, they are profitable.

If Black Friday is dead, so are retailers.

Happy Black Friday One and All!

• Like 1

I do a little of my shopping online, but that is usually a few days before BF.  From what I have seen and heard, the online sales on TG and BF are more frustrating than standing in line at the stores with the sites going slow and other glitches.  So....for me, Black Friday is and will always be alive and well!!!

• Like 1

I agree with most of the article. Black Friday is supposed to be just that Black FRIDAY! They have cut out the excitement by adding the online sales and opening earlier and earlier on Thursday. The whole excitement was having Thursday with your family and then braving the cold in the wee hours of the morning to get those door busters. Nowadays it's like putting an animal in a cage to hunt. No sport! It would be so cool if they went back to the old way. No online orders, no opening on Thursday, stand in line to get your deals, etc.   

I agree with most of the article. Black Friday is supposed to be just that Black FRIDAY! They have cut out the excitement by adding the online sales and opening earlier and earlier on Thursday. The whole excitement was having Thursday with your family and then braving the cold in the wee hours of the morning to get those door busters. Nowadays it's like putting an animal in a cage to hunt. No sport! It would be so cool if they went back to the old way. No online orders, no opening on Thursday, stand in line to get your deals, etc.

While I don't entirely disagree with you here about the move from Friday to Thanksgiving Day, I would like to say that having deals online allows people like me, who are in a 24-7, 365-day a year profession and have to work the holiday itself and the day before and after, a chance to grab these deals online when otherwise we would have no chance at anything. So, I'm quite excited and appreciative to have said online deals available to me.

• Like 3