Black Friday as family time?

brynnfromtheblock

I hate to even post and risk angering those who are against shopping on BF now that it's really BT lol! But does anyone else use BF itself as a bonding family time? My mom used to take me shopping when I was a little girl, and we'd "get up" in the middle of the night to wait for the stores to open at 6am. I always thought it was so cool that I got to be out so late and getting to the good deals became a challenge complete with maps and timers lol!

Fast forward to 2015 when I have three kids of my own who now get very disappointed if we don't camp out which is now a 24 hour thing. We usually have food, football, tents, air mattresses, movies and a great time bonding with the other people in line. Now that they've moved the sales (and don't get me wrong I preferred when they were Friday morning), we don't do Thanksgiving at my moms.... She cooks for the rest of the family at noon, then brings us food in line at about 2 and joins us.

I have a hard time getting my kids to "hang out" with me for long periods of time now that they're teens .... But they love it on BF and I do too, it's one of my favorite days. This year they invited friends and there is a group of 9 of us and they are SO excited ... I'm sure we don't have to be out at Best Buy Weds night but they wouldn't have it any other way lol! They're excitedly getting their game plan together trying to beat last years BF record of buying a ton of things and being out of the store eight minutes after opening loll!

To us the important thing is time spent together, so even though we're not at home "celebrating" Thanksgiving, it's still a family day - and BF has become THE holiday.... Plus we usually make our own turkey that weekend lol!

It's become such a tradition we usually end up on the news talking up Gottadeal!! (Though this year I was a dummy and didn't respond to my GD t-shirt win in time ;)

Anyway, are we the only weirdos lol? ;)

Edited by brynnfromtheblock
  • Like 4

As long as you and your family enjoy the time together thats all that matters. What works for one family might nt work for others. I would have no problem doin what you do but DH and DS work. I think its great thats how you chose to spend your day .Actually sounds like fun. Dont let anyone tell you its wrg either. Its your family :)

Edited by Deal Grabber
  • Like 4

its the one time of the year that my DD looks forward to she knows the deals we can get so she loves going out with me to the stores and shop.

last year she sat in line with me all day at Target so we could be the first ones in the store, i took my time and grabbed the $79 TV we wanted while she ran back to Electronics and grabbed things there we wanted before the line started. She enjoyed it so much and she already has her game plan this year and knows what to do.

I think BF shopping is great family bonding time as its not like when we were kids. we didnt have all these video game choices so family time was lots where now its few and far between

• Like 2

I know many families who shop together on BF or Thanksgiving!  You have to do, as a family, what makes you happy and not let the opinions of others deter you from doing something you like to do! 

My husband and I live out of state from our families, and we don't go home for Thanksgiving.  He's the cook in the family, so he cooks Thanksgiving dinner while tending after our son, and I go enjoy what I like to do, shopping!  It's our tradition, and if someone doesn't like it, well, then, too bad! 

It sounds to me like you have a very close knit family who celebrates a wonderful tradition!!

• Like 1

We decided to try something new this year. We are having Thanksgiving dinner Wednesday night at 6:30. For us it made the sense. Most of my adult children are married and have to either miss being with us or alternate or leave early if we do it on Thursday. I want the family together if possible (some live out of state) By doing on Wednesday everyone can come even some of my cousins can make it with the change. I am excited to see how it works out. My DIL asked if she could still come over Thursday to go through the ads and have leftovers. I love my family!!!

Enjoy yours and your BT or BF traditions I hope you get great deals!!!!

• Like 3

My daughter and look forward to every BF.  She moved away two years ago so we travel to keep the tradition going.  Last year I surprised her in Arkansas (she was depressed that we'd not get to go to BF together so I joined her), this year she will join me in Florida.  We pull all nighters, starting at midnight and going to 3pm or later.  It is a lot of work, very tiring but so much fun.  

• Like 2

This is the first year that I am allowing my daughter go with me Black Friday shopping.  I am going to ask my parents to watch her while we go to Walmart (I just feel it is too dangerous) and then I will pick her up and let her go with me to Belk's, Target, and anywhere else.  I am hoping my husband will also go with us since this is the first year that he only has to work Monday and Tuesday.  :)  My boys will go with me to Walmart because they want to look at a few things that are on sale.

My son and I have gone every year since he was born. He is 8 now.

Last week my church asked him "How many days until Black Friday?" and he answered correctly. Then they asked him "How many days until Thanksgiving?" and he had no idea. :)

This is our holiday. We go camping (most years) and just spend a few days bonding. This year he is helping with the planning which is even more fun.

• Like 1

It makes sense that nobody tells you how to spend quality time with your family. I have been saying for years that Saturday is the new Thursday. Making memories by some regimented standard or when the government tells us just doesn't seem right. Being a former Marine, many celebrations were altered due to operational commitments. I learned to adjust family time to suit the needs of the family. If Wednesday is your time, that is great and i am glad that more people are catching on to this.

• Like 1

My oldest daughter and I have been going together since she was 12, she is now 28, she lives in a different state and is home  Thanksgiving so we can go shopping, My son who now is 26 started going with me Thursday Mornings to k-mart at 15 before every one in the house was up it was our time, We added my now 18 year old daughter when she was 13 but her experience the first time was not the best that was the year Target security yanked her out of line saying she was a line jumper talked about scared but it didn't stop her every year after. We added my now 16 year old when he was 12 he and then now 28 year old were always on Walmart Movies. He thrives on it. 

Fast forward to now, The 25 year old now has a family of his own and dropped out of our annual shopping a year ago, the 18 year is going to her boyfriends Thanksgiving day, and wont meet up with us till Friday sometime, so our little group has now shrunk to the oldest and the youngest we will still have a good time but things sure do change

DW works on Friday, so we pretty much try to spend as much family time on Thanksgiving as possible.  I go out myself on Thursday night and then take DD5 & DS4 with me Friday morning when they wake up (they aren't old enough for me to wake them up to even stand in line, yet).

I agree with others who said it's about what works for your family. It sounds like your all still enjoying the holiday together in what is your traditional way and that's awesome. Not Thanksgiving, but for Christmas my family celebrates the Saturday before the holiday. There are so many extended family and gatherings to go too that we found this allows us quality time with my parents, siblings and their families. BF used to be the one day a year my sister and I spent alone together. Leaving around 3am and shopping well into the afternoon. I miss it.
  • Like 1