Desktop Computer deals?

kdspark

If your son is "techie" he may enjoy building his own.  Generally, Fry's Electronics and Tiger Direct has package deals on the parts.  This is generally MUCH cheaper than purchasing a branded one.  For example, you can build a desktop for less than $1000 with the same specs or better than a $2500 gaming computer. 

• Like 1

You'd be amazed at how well a 13-year old might be able to build a computer. It's actually relatively simple. Mostly a plug-and-play affair, as long as you gather the right parts. My brother and I built two different desktops for me back in the day and brother has also built a few for himself. First one we built, I was just out of HS and brother was about your son's age, kds. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the idea. He probably would be able to build it himself with some of the stuff he seems to have learned in school. I wouldn't even know where to start to gather it all. Maybe that will be next years gift

If you know someone personally who knows computers well, they can be a good resource for info. Otherwise, there are plenty of folks here throughout the year who, given a budget and basic specs you're looking for, could guide you to the pieces and parts you'll need to gather if/when you decide to go that route. :)

• Like 1

If you know someone personally who knows computers well, they can be a good resource for info. Otherwise, there are plenty of folks here throughout the year who, given a budget and basic specs you're looking for, could guide you to the pieces and parts you'll need to gather if/when you decide to go that route. :)

Indeed lots of good knowledge around here with some who stick around all the time.

• Like 1

Sure. Let me ask do you have a Micro Center near you? The carry a lot of parts local in store and their prices are reasonable. If not no fret NewEgg.com has all the parts you will need.

First question what are you looking to spend overall? If I have that then I can go and pull some parts for you and send them to you in a PM so I don't junk up the thread too much. I personally still use AMD for a processor as I like the cost/performance over Intel. The Intel CPUs are more expensive but more expensive. Now I also have to ask what sort of games does he intend to play on it that can effect my suggestions on the Video Card to use.

If you can answer these I would be happy to put something together for you to look at real quick. It's really not hard to put together and in my eyes is a great learning experience and I have found is usually a great boost when they tell their friends ya I built my own machine. The hardest part is installing the operating system but today that's more of a lot of waiting for things to happen than actually doing anything lol.

• Like 1

Cann you possibly point me in a direction to start looking into this for him?

I really like pcpartpicker dot com.  This is a good place to ensure that the parts you build are compatible with one another (if you're not just buying an unassembled, pre-determined package/kit), helps you choose the right wattage power supply, and I think has price trends on the items at various retailers.

• Like 1