First camper of the Black Friday season, and the winner is............

jaymacfla

According to the article, he claims he's raising awareness for the homeless and is expecting to survive on donations from people passing by. Of course, he may just be after the cheap big-screen doorbuster TV ;)

Didn't the first-in-line person at Best Buy last year also come from Florida? Or was that the year before when the Floridan Best Buy first liner got up and left after they were rewarded before Black Friday?

• Like 2

I am all for a good charity, but you can't help wonder if having the van aside the campsite is just a wee but self promotional. Last year, it was two ladies from California that sat out since the first week in November. If you also notice, the tent is set up right behind the handicapped sign. Personally, i would move the tent one spot away from the area in respect to those who are in need of egress.

"I'm raising awareness for the homeless by camping out in front of a store that won't actually kick me off the property like they do real homeless people, I won't get harassed by cops for panhandling, and I have a functional vehicle, and then I'm gonna buy a super cheap TV!"

riiiiight.

• Like 3

According to the article, he claims he's raising awareness for the homeless and is expecting to survive on donations from people passing by. Of course, he may just be after the cheap big-screen doorbuster TV ;)

Didn't the first-in-line person at Best Buy last year also come from Florida? Or was that the year before when the Floridan Best Buy first liner got up and left after they were rewarded before Black Friday?

If it involves insanity it most likely happens in FL :)

• Like 1

, the tent is set up right behind the handicapped sign. Personally, i would move the tent one spot away from the area in respect to those who are in need of egress.

more then half the tent is actually behind as curb, it does leave plenty of room..

however im not supporting this guy... i think its more a publicity stunt.  and he really isnt living at all like the homeless.. the only hope is he raises money for the food pantry, and not just himself. the article states he is not only collecting for the food pantry , but also expecting to be fed and live on the donations given to him from now till black friday.. no homeless person has a tent in a dry overhang, with permission, a van near by , food being brought to him likely more then he can consume.use of restrooms with out harassment...and all the while knows he has no stress of actually being homeless as he has a job and is given permission to camp for a month.. all the while getting so much publicity.and people welcoming him and congratulating him.with the utmost respect.. imo a homeless person gets the exact opposite?  not to mention he has the money in his pocket for the tv that has not been advertised yet.

• Like 1

I read the article and I thought the person was very upfront about that fact that they are camping out to get a new tv for themselves. They also mentioned living on the donations of food and water, so I don't feel like this person is trying to hide anything.

I think they are taking the media attention they are going to get anyway and trying to put it to some good use. It is up to the public to decide if they want to donate to the cause or not. If someone is not comfortable donating or leaving items, they could always go directly to the organization and donate there.

Compared to other "first in line" BF stories, this one was not all about someone's material conquest.

Here is something to consider. Best Buy corporate does not allow charity events or collection sites. Years ago I wanted to collect soccer balls for children in third world countries and asked for permission. It was then I found out that it is not permitted.

If it involves insanity it most likely happens in FL :)

So true....stupid and insane things happen in FL mainly. It can be shameful where ppl ask when I'm from :P

OK so after reading the article and thinking the guy is a joke I googled the radio show name on van and apparently he's partnering with the Food Pantry and is the director of another organization to help Dads. He IS collecting canned food, toys etc and has created a gofundmepage. The article really doesn't do him/the cause justice.

Edited by tinkrbel

Wow! I love BF as much as everyone else, but y'all won't ever be reading about me camping out like that. Hahahaha!! Just not for me.

I do applaud him if he's truly doing his for a charity though.

Edited by Jen08

Sutton contends that he collected food over a 15 day period last year on the campsite. I will be doing some fact checking with the Best Buy in Orlando to find out how he gets a special exemption (corporate) to do this, or if the local management team gives him permission to do so. His location is not on mall property, so a 33 day campout can be sanctioned by the local Best Buy. If this checks out, I may be able to have a way to collect for the children afterall. 

So true....stupid and insane things happen in FL mainly. It can be shameful where ppl ask when I'm from :P

OK so after reading the article and thinking the guy is a joke I googled the radio show name on van and apparently he's partnering with the Food Pantry and is the director of another organization to help Dads. He IS collecting canned food, toys etc and has created a gofundmepage. The article really doesn't do him/the cause justice.

I lived there for 17 years and we will be buying a 2nd home there again so thats why I said it lol

I am glad to see my fellow crazies here doing this and taking back the crown from California. When it comes to BF tent camping, floridians do it best. I was actually thinking of driving down there and showing him how to set up a camp shower, since various articles state that he will not leave the site and will only use baby wipes. Staying in a small dome tent against the wall of a huge brick building is brutal. He really should upgrade his digs. I bet he actually sleeps in the van.

On another note, I was able to talk with a local manager of a similar Best Buy where the property is not managed by a mall. He confirmed what i had said about corporate policy and that in this case the permission was solely at the discretion of the manager. I have found out over the years that managers can take calculated risks against corporate policy but sometimes the calculations are a bit off and their tenure at that store is short lived.

I am willing to bet that mall managed properties are harder to get the green light to do such an event.

• 2 weeks later...