Self-Balancing Two-Wheel Scooters

mcwalker

I've been looking at these too for my so n for college going between classes.   He wants a Segway that can even be used through the snow... but they are a over priced.  Looking at one place its $230 / month for 60 months... okay can you say car payment  http://shop.segwayofalabama.com/

Ive been watching the swagways on tv, thinking this may be an alternative.

It's already more difficult maintaining one's traction and balance on snow with the two legs you've been using all your life. 

Attempting to do so on a segway or swagway is just silly.

If you do it, please make sure to get it on video so you can at least get a couple hundred thousand hits on youtube of the inevitable fail.

• Like 2

I've been looking at these too for my son for college going between classes. 

These can be fun, and I know some people use them for minor transportation, but don't forget that we need to walk for exercise and these require a lot more concentration than walking to make sure you don't hit an edge and fall.  Plus, they may not (should not) be allowed inside buildings and are rather heavy to carry when you have to go upstairs or into a classroom and have other things to carry too.  I wouldn't want to be carrying a laptop while riding one of these, and that is more important for a student these days than riding one of these.

None of these should be used in icy conditions (even an expensive Segway) because they can't balance if they don't have firm grip on the pavement.

Pnambic and I were writing about the same thing at the same time.

Edited by mcwalker

my ds is at a very small college so i honestly don't understand why he would want one anyway.   Total students is about 100-150.    He is up near Raleigh NC.  We don't get snow here in AL (maybe every now and then) I'm just scared that he has to drive in it to work even if his work is only about 2-3 miles from the school

Lscooter LBS15-B Hollywood Version Self Balancing Scooter - Black

Sale $249 Reg $499.99 (50% off)

Updated link

Edit: OK I realize that link might not work....sorry, on my phone.

Edit edit: I think the links are working now!!

Also found this for more deals:

http://www.neweggflash.com/Campaign/7129?icid=WP_9999_11142015

Edited by bribri25

my ds is at a very small college so i honestly don't understand why he would want one anyway.   Total students is about 100-150.    He is up near Raleigh NC.  We don't get snow here in AL (maybe every now and then) I'm just scared that he has to drive in it to work even if his work is only about 2-3 miles from the school

This sounds like a ruse by your son to get one purely for fun on the premise that he needs it for school.   :gd_skateb

They have them on ebay for $109.00!!!

That is either for a used one (which might be fine, but buyer beware), or if it is new the shipping cost will be more than $100.  Any legitimate new one is $250 or more.

I see one with a price of $159.96.  And shipping of $149.99!  Beware of that trick on ebay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning America had a whole segment on it this morning.  There are several fires being blamed on them already.  I think they're still investigating it though.

Oh wow, the article mentions that no other fires have been reported, so I wasn't aware.  This one was bought through Amazon.  Be careful all!! 

My neighbor told me his brother bought two for his twin 11 year boys.  One of the boys hit a crack on the sidewalk and was launched from his hoverboard breaking his elbow. 

Glad none of my kids asked for one! 

They just look so deceptively simple!  And like so much fun!

Glad my kids haven't asked for one yet either.  But my kids spend so much time running in grass and woods and stuff, I think even they relize these things wouldn't have a chance there.

NYC did. That was a Mayor Bloomberg thing. Don't think it ever went statewide, though I could be mistaken.

Actually, it wasn't Bloomberg or Deblasio, it is a preexisting NY State Law that refers to any motorized device on public sidewalks.  It predates these smaller self-balancing boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, the article mentions that no other fires have been reported, so I wasn't aware.  This one was bought through Amazon.  Be careful all!! 

My neighbor told me his brother bought two for his twin 11 year boys.  One of the boys hit a crack on the sidewalk and was launched from his hoverboard breaking his elbow. 

Glad none of my kids asked for one! 

this could happen on a bike,or roller blades ect,.... i would still rather kids want and actually use this more so then isolating and wanting a video game..

side thought is this will bea phase thing...and noone will be wanting them once the 'newness' and hype wears off.

Amazon and overstock took them off their sites, today. I was reading, the ones catching fire have a very cheap battery in them, the ones from sharper image have a sony battery in them. There are ither ones that have an LG or a samsung battery. They are suppose to be the better ones