What city is everyone shopping in?

jenmovdob

I have seen some fellow Hoosiers here - a few Fort Wayne, a couple of Indy, etc. I don't think I saw anybody else post from southern Indiana. I will be starting my day in Edinburgh, Indiana on Thanksgiving night, working my way into Columbus, and ultimately I will end up down in Clarksville.

For the first time we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in Havre de Grace, MD.  I have no idea where I'll be shopping-lol.   I could go north to DE or south to Columbia, MD neither of which I'm too familiar with.  

I have often been traveling for Thanksgiving and Black Friday and find it fun to do Black Friday in new areas.  (One of my most unique experiences was in Lancaster Pennsylvania where many Mennonites and some Amish were out shopping at some of the stores in the middle of the night, and I almost ran into a hose-drawn buggy in the Target parking lot.  This year I will be in another new location: Burlington Vermont.

Something I do each time is go to Google maps, center the map on the area where I will be staying, then do a search for some of the major store names that I am interested in (Best Buy, Target, JC Penney, etc,) to get an idea where they are located and especially to identify areas that have concentrations of the key stores.  Then I create a map in Google Maps: My Maps where I mark the location of every store that I might be interested in.  I will print that map and take it but I also just installed the My Maps app on my smartphone, so I will have that to refer to as I drive around.  By now I am pretty familiar with where the various stores are already, even though I have only been to that area once before.

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 2

I have often beet traveling for Thanksgiving and Black Friday and find it fun to do Black Friday in new areas.  (One of my most unique experiences was in Lancaster Pennsylvania where many Mennonites and some Amish were out shopping at some of the stores in the middle of the night, and I almost ran into a hose-drawn buggy in the Target parking lot.  This year I will be in another new location: Burlington Vermont.

Something I do each time is go to Google maps, center the map on the area where I will be staying, then do a search for some of the major store names that I am interested in (Best Buy, Target, JC Penney, etc,) to get an idea where they are located and especially to identify areas that have concentrations of the key stores.  Then I create a map in Google Maps: My Maps where I mark the location of every store that I might be interested in.  I will print that map and take it but I also just installed the My Maps app on my smartphone, so I will have that to refer to as I drive around.  By now I am pretty familiar with where the various stores are already, even though I have only been to that area once before.

I would also even pre-map the directions from one store to another (as I had a schedule of who opens when and needed to get in, out, and to the next store). With smartphones, this isn't entirely necessary anymore but there's nothing worse than trying to pull out of the parking lot and waiting for GPS to find your location to tell you to turn left or right.

• Like 1

And now for my final update of the Map of GottaDeal.com Black Friday Shoppers for 2015.  Everyone who responded up to this thread has been added to the map.  Check the map at the following web site and zoom in to see who is shopping near you.  The map is at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zUnZpeEjK4QE.kEBLMYUCCXrE

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af182/mcwalker59/BlackFridayMap2015-11-21.jpg

Edited by mcwalker