Ideas for that hard to shop for person...

shopping4my3son

I think most people have someone on their list that's hard to shop for. For me it's my mom. If she wants something she just buys it for herself. When I ask what she wants she usually replies "nothing or whatever". I'm trying to come up with a list.

I usually end up with buying candles and a gift card to the clothing store she likes.

What do you get your parents (or other hard to shop for people)?

:holiday15

My brother in law is the hardest one for me to buy for.  He's a big hunter, so it should be easy, but I just hate to get him the same stuff every year as if hunting is all he's about.  I try to find unusual stuff for him, for example a few years ago I bought him a glass milk jar that stood about 2.5 feet tall and filled it completely with peanuts.

My mom's not easy either, but one of the things she always asks for is money for the day after Christmas sales. So, I usually get her some small trinkets and I always get her a new tshirt from Mardel, then I give her money.  Normally I am the type to say giving money or gift cards is no fun, but it's what she wants and she always appreciates whatever we can give her.

My Mom is easy-she is addicted to her Kindle Fire so I get her gift cards so she can buy more books!  My FIL is hard, I got him house shoes this year.   My children have 3 living great-grandmothers, so they each got a coffee mug with the kids picture on it, $9.99 from WalMart photo.  My Dad only wants money.  DS & DD always make a long list. My other gifts are usually easy because they are for friends.  But, that being said, my cousin made the best gift for her grandma a few years back.  She got her an address book/date book and wrote down all the families anniversaries, birthdays, etc and then the addresses for everyone and made her a basket with that and a few books of stamps, all occasion cards, etc. so she could keep up with the dates of special occasions because she loved to send cards for those days.  She loved it!!!

• Like 2

I have 3 hard to shop for people on my list my DH, DD15,DS13.my husband is a hunter which you would think that's easy but quite the opposite.He has pretty much everything he needs.DD15 is very hard she is very picky when it comes to everything.DS13 is also hard to buy for we have pretty much every game system out there and he don't ask for much or won't tell you what he wants so it is hard.

would love for suggestions if anyone has any.

Season tickets or passes to something? We are getting our kids season passes to a local amusement park and water park.  This could work for sporting events, museums etc.  Movie theater gift cards/certificates.

For my husband I've considered putting together a "year of dates package" but this might be flexible enough to use for others.  Each month has a mini date--maybe in the summer a beach day which includes gift cards to use at Dairy Queen or local icecream shop, deli or sandwich shop gift cards for a quick lunch. Comedy club tickets for a night out or theater tickets for a favorite musical another month (dinner out too), Gift certificates to a local pottery painting studio, Night at a Winebar. Anything the options are really unlimited and each date can cost as little or as much as you want.  Each month's date could have it's own envelope stuffed with the gift cards/tickets and plans--so each month could be a surprise.

My mom is on a limited income and I've decided this year I will pay her Dish bill up for a certain amount of months.

My inlaws always get a gift card to their favorite restaurant--we try to find different ways to present it each year though. We've put it in an empty soda bottle with other odds and ends, we've put it in a clear plastic ornament and a candy dish filled with candy and the gift cards.

Make a calendar online using family pictures and put all birthdays, anniversaries etc. on it.  

• Like 1

This year I am getting my mom a years worth of Direct TV, as it is a luxury item to her that she can't bring herself to pay for - but would truly enjoy.

Hubby is hard to shop for as he buys anything and everything that he wants for himself - so I have been doing a few little gifts for him each year and then he gets a gift certificate to his favorite seafood shop and one to his favorite butcher shop to buy the foods he loves. (I benefit from these, too - so it's a win-win situation.) ;)

My parents are the hardest for me, not because they are picky and they always say they love whatever I get them but they are hard because I wish I could do so much more.... they have been wonderful parents. I'm still looking for that perfect something for this year.

My DD11 is hard this year too.

Edited by Elmck

I bet my mom would like a Jelly of the month or something to do with cross stitch.

Oh man.  If someone got me the cross stitch of the month kit, that'd be awesome.

Actually, every other month. It'd take me a while to finish one.  *stares at unfinished knitting project... never started cross stitch projects...*

I'm getting my mom , uncle, and aunt a cutting board with a scanned copy of one of my grandmother's hand written recipes etched into it and a display stand

This will be great.  I was going to do this for my mom and aunt on tee towels, but no one seems to know where my grama's handwritten recipe book went :(.

Gas cards seem to come in handy for some of my family, especially if they are traveling over the holiday break.  I've also bought memberships to Sams Club and Costco for my parents.  If some of your friends/relatives that are really hard to buy for have pets, you can pick up their dog/cat food.  If they use a brand like Wellness Core, believe me, a large bag of dog food would be an awesome gift!!  :gddogwoot: Good Luck!  I struggle with this same issue every Christmas.

• Like 1