Official Black Friday VIDEO GAMES Discussion Thread

Brad

Thank you.  The main reason they say not to get it is because it doesn't have online capabilities.  I read the comments on the site and someone said that the Wii online play was shut down by Nintendo anyway.  Online play is not really a big factor for us anyway.  My daughter is 8 and would not be allowed to use the online features anyway.  I think another reason they don't recommend it is because you can't access Netflix either, which doesn't affect us either. 

Do you know if there are any other negatives?

My DD12 wants the 3DS XL too. I hope I can find a good sale price now that they have been out for a while. Does anyone know if all the games she has now for the nintendo lite will be able to be used in the new system? I don't want to have to buy a ton of new games too, just a few.

He can buy a large flash drive and plug that into his xbox for addition storage if he is running out of space on his hdd. Flash drives are a lot cheaper then a new hdd. Thats what we did.  Works just fine.

He had a flash drive plugged in. I was told by both my sons that for Destiny it had to be HDD space only.

My DD12 wants the 3DS XL too. I hope I can find a good sale price now that they have been out for a while. Does anyone know if all the games she has now for the nintendo lite will be able to be used in the new system? I don't want to have to buy a ton of new games too, just a few.

All regular ds games can be played on a 3ds but,3ds games can't be played on the older ds systems.

Hi everyone!  Looks like it's shaping up to be a video game christmas around our house this year. I'm planning on getting the 2DS for my youngest since he slams his brother's 3DS shut when he gets frustrated with a game. And for my older son I want to get the Xbox 360 with some games, along with Skylanders Trap Team for his Wii and some games for his 3DS. I have a few questions if someone could help me out:

1. Do you think we'll see lower prices on the Nintento 2DS this season, or is it already at its lowest with the $130 price tag?  Do these ever have bundle deals?

2. If I do not want my son to have access to the internet, can he still play an Xbox 360 without the Xbox Live membership?  Would he be able to just pop in the discs and play the games himself or with a 2nd player at home?  I'm not ready for him to go into the world of online gaming just yet, but I don't know how this whole Xbox Live thing works.  Do you need it to play the games? 

3.  Do you think we'll see the same deals on Skylanders Trap Team that we saw on Swap Force last year? ($40 around Black Friday.)  Should I wait to buy?  Last year I bought Swap Force when it came out and then I was kicking myself when they all went on sale and mine was already wrapped and stashed away in the hidden xmas pile.

Edited by jakesmommy403

2. If I do not want my son to have access to the internet, can he still play an Xbox 360 without the Xbox Live membership? Would he be able to just pop in the discs and play the games himself or with a 2nd player at home? I'm not ready for him to go into the world of online gaming just yet, but I don't know how this whole Xbox Live thing works. Do you need it to play the games?

No you do not have to have xbox live to play games except for online play

You don't need xbox live unless you want to play online or use online services like Netflix etc.  I let my 2 kids use xbox live but I will say some of the things kids that are fairly young say on there would blow you away.

I don't know this for sure but I've been hearing of some games (esp ones younger kids like) requiring live memberships. I'm pretty sure my friend said some game they bought their son's required it to play even in single mode.

Xbox One $50 price drop for the holidays:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/10/xbox-one-special-savings

That is crazy.  MS has essentially dropped the price of the Xbox one $100 in less than a year.  I believed they would drop the price quickly since they were falling behind in sales, but never this fast. 

Hope the PS4 follows suit!

This would be nice, but I don't know if Sony would do that.  The PS4 has really been beating up the Xbox one in sales, so I don't know if Sony has any real incentive to do so.  Maybe they'll do it just to keep the pace, but the ps4 has been selling just fine without any price drops so I would be a little bit surprised if they did that. 

Hi everyone!  Looks like it's shaping up to be a video game christmas around our house this year. I'm planning on getting the 2DS for my youngest since he slams his brother's 3DS shut when he gets frustrated with a game. And for my older son I want to get the Xbox 360 with some games, along with Skylanders Trap Team for his Wii and some games for his 3DS. I have a few questions if someone could help me out:

1. Do you think we'll see lower prices on the Nintento 2DS this season, or is it already at its lowest with the $130 price tag?  Do these ever have bundle deals?

2. If I do not want my son to have access to the internet, can he still play an Xbox 360 without the Xbox Live membership?  Would he be able to just pop in the discs and play the games himself or with a 2nd player at home?  I'm not ready for him to go into the world of online gaming just yet, but I don't know how this whole Xbox Live thing works.  Do you need it to play the games? 

3.  Do you think we'll see the same deals on Skylanders Trap Team that we saw on Swap Force last year? ($40 around Black Friday.)  Should I wait to buy?  Last year I bought Swap Force when it came out and then I was kicking myself when they all went on sale and mine was already wrapped and stashed away in the hidden xmas pile.

1. the holidays usually bring about console bundles; more so than price drops.  But, some companies may become desperate enough to drop the price even more than it had, i.e., MS with the xbox one price drop.  I'm not sure if Nintendo is in any real reason to drop the price further.  Hopefully they do.  It seems like the companies are trying to fight their way to more sales. 

2.  If you are not going to allow your son to play online on the 360, then you don't necessarily need to pay for xbox live.  You can just pop in the disc and play single player games, or play two player games.  Just keep in mind that there may be some games that require online to be connected and may require live.  Also, MS keeps their apps behind an xbox live paywall - so you will not be able to use the netflix, youtube, amazon prime apps either.  I'm not sure if you wanted to use these apps.  What this means is that you can use the 360 for online connectivity without paying for live.  If you don't want to use any of these features, then you don't need to pay for live at all.  If you want to use some of these features, you may have an issue.  Maybe you can set up some sort of restrictions to keep your soon from playing online.  And yes, if your son is too young to play online, then yes, keep him away from online gaming lol.  The things you hear, lol :-/ 

Edited by ItsMeD

There's age settings on Xbox live which restrict what they can do.  It has a child setting which doesn't allow them to talk on headsets or in party chats etc.

That price drop is enticing on the xbox 1 especially if you want one of the ones that has the games that come with it.  My son is a huge fan of the Assassin's creed games so that one is catching my eye.  He really wants a ps4 though so hoping something similar comes along.

The xbox is dropping price because so far ps4 is far outselling them

Edited by jamieva

Thanks so much for the help.  If a game requires the Xbox Live in order to just play it, does it say that on the packaging? I'm fine with not having the apps or anything.  We have a smart TV in our living room that has all that stuff, but no one here even remembers to use it. Lol.  I just want to make sure when he pops in COD or Minecraft on xmas morning, it plays and works.  Is that the case? Thanks! 

To those worried about Xbox Live.  GET IT!

First of all, you should be able to score 12 months for around $39.99 between now and Xmas.

Second, the benefits! Remember, with Xbox Live you get free games every month. 1-2 per month for 12 months, you do the math. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold?xr=shellnav

Also, playing online is the way most games are going and it is just more fun.

Do it.

Thanks so much for the help.  If a game requires the Xbox Live in order to just play it, does it say that on the packaging? I'm fine with not having the apps or anything.  We have a smart TV in our living room that has all that stuff, but no one here even remembers to use it. Lol.  I just want to make sure when he pops in COD or Minecraft on xmas morning, it plays and works.  Is that the case? Thanks! 

I just wanted to clarify one thing - there are different types of xbox live (at least there were different types).  There's xbox live silver, and xbox live gold.  Silver allows you to connect online, download patches, and purchase content.  Gold allows you to use the apps, play online, and some other stuff.  I don't believe there is a cost with silver, but you have to pay to use Gold.  From the sound of it, you don't need Gold, so you can just sign on with silver and be ok.  Games will usually tell you on the back if they need some sort of internet connection, but you should be fine if this is the case. 

Same question about the PS3. I don't even know if there's a membership type thingy like Xbox has, but if there is, do we need it for any of the games?  Or can he just put in the discs and play?  

There is a member service for the PS3, but unlike the 360, it is not needed for any part of the game.  You can connect the ps3 to the internet right off the bat and have access to everything.  But, if the ps3 is also for your son who you don't want playing online, I would highly recommend setting up a parental control where only you have access to the online features.  Otherwise they can play online at any time.  

If you are concerned about what your son may hear playing video games online, then you should definitely keep him away from playing call of duty online lol.  

He had a flash drive plugged in. I was told by both my sons that for Destiny it had to be HDD space only.

It was the same for Battlefield 4 for XBox. It had to be HDD space only! It made last Christmas not very much fun as I had bought the 4 GB XBox. Wish I had paid more attention! But I can say FOR SURE that I will not make the same mistake again!

• Like 1