Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I'm looking for a tablet for my mother.  I've never had one so don't know much about them, but I don't want to spend a ton. After looking at reviews on Amazon, the Lenovo Yoga 10 HD looks good.  It's $249.99. Should I go ahead and buy it now?  Anyone think it will go down in price?  Or do you recommend I get something else?  

I'm looking for a tablet for my mother.  I've never had one so don't know much about them, but I don't want to spend a ton. After looking at reviews on Amazon, the Lenovo Yoga 10 HD looks good.  It's $249.99. Should I go ahead and buy it now?  Anyone think it will go down in price?  Or do you recommend I get something else?  

How old is she and does it need to be a 10" tablet?

Can someone tell me which black Friday tablets have a sim slot.  I don't talk on the phone much, but I want a tablet that I can talk, take pictures, surf web etc.  I would love to have a Note 4 or Galaxy Mega, but if there is a 7-8" tablet that I can do the same cheaper I would love to.  Thank you.

When I am looking at the ads, how can I tell if the Samsung Tab 4 10.1 that I am looking at is only wi-fi or if it can be added to my Verizon account?  I want one that can be used without wi-fi but I do not know how to tell the difference in ads!  Tahnks.

I only buy kindles, I lucked out. My grandaughters cheap generic tablet broke and square trade is giving me 69. for it. I had one generic square trade warranty I bought for a spare and put 199 on it. I put gift in the receipt box and it didn't require a receipt. It was for any of our tablets breaking if hte warranty expired. I have one still good on my kindle but my sons expired . My granddaugher said her tablet quit also. It was a 50.00 pandigital. I called square trade and filed a claim. The woman said based on the model they were giving me 125.00 back on it. So I have 200.00 to spend on tablets for my granddaughters for replacement tablets. These are not presents, just replacing their broken ones. I am getting them good ones . Kindles. 

I am considering an iPad mini for my sister. I'm pretty familiar with iPhones and iPods but I don't own nor have ever owned an iPad. So to be honest, I am not sure what a good price is.

I think I'm considering the one at Walmart for $199 with $30 GC. Can anyone clarify for me if this is a good deal? Or is there a possibility of a better deal before Christmas? I haven't had to purchase an Apple product during the holiday season so I'm not sure what their price trends are this time of year.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

I am considering an iPad mini for my sister. I'm pretty familiar with iPhones and iPods but I don't own nor have ever owned an iPad. So to be honest, I am not sure what a good price is.

I think I'm considering the one at Walmart for $199 with $30 GC. Can anyone clarify for me if this is a good deal? Or is there a possibility of a better deal before Christmas? I haven't had to purchase an Apple product during the holiday season so I'm not sure what their price trends are this time of year.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

Unfortunately I think that may be the best deal this year... always hard to say though. You can always return it if you find it cheaper later.

Has anyone seen any tablet deals that mention they are able to set up a cellular plan with them (not sure if I'm phrasing that properly, I want one that has more than wi-fi)?

I have not seen them yet, but I'm sure that one of the providers (ATT/Verizon/Sprint/TMobile) will offer something like that on Black Friday.  We'll have to wait for their flyer to surface.

Can someone tell me which black Friday tablets have a sim slot.  I don't talk on the phone much, but I want a tablet that I can talk, take pictures, surf web etc.  I would love to have a Note 4 or Galaxy Mega, but if there is a 7-8" tablet that I can do the same cheaper I would love to.  Thank you.

Tablets generally are data only.  Some do have sim slots, but none in the ads so far have one.  None of them will make phone calls.  But, you should be able to use Skype or some other software that transmits voice over data.  The Galaxy Mega would probably offer you the best/cheapest solution if you want to actually use it as a phone.  The Note series has higher specifications and are typically more expensive.  If you want to purchase one without a contract, another option to consider is the One Plus One.  It is a nice phablet that you can purchase off contract at a reasonable price and is very good. 

OPO review:  http://www.engadget.com/products/oneplus/one/

Purchasing one may be difficult as they are in limited supply.  You can get an "invite" from someone that already purchased one or catch one when they open to the general public (occasionally).  There will be no sale on this phone, so no waiting needed.

Edited by laddhorn

Unfortunately I think that may be the best deal this year... always hard to say though. You can always return it if you find it cheaper later.

That's what I figured. You're right - I could always return if I find something cheaper. Thanks for the help! :)

Can someone tell me which black Friday tablets have a sim slot. I don't talk on the phone much, but I want a tablet that I can talk, take pictures, surf web etc. I would love to have a Note 4 or Galaxy Mega, but if there is a 7-8" tablet that I can do the same cheaper I would love to. Thank you.

Best Buy has an 8 inch Insignia tablet for $1 if activated with Verizon. Today's sale ad.

I just saw that the Kindle Fire 7inch is on sale today only at Amazon for $119, with $40 off the price of Amazon Prime if you buy (so $59 instead of $99). The price for the tablet itself will be lower on Black Friday (109.99 is what I've seen at Toys R Us and Staples), but I doubt that Amazon Prime will be cheaper. Anyone use Amazon Prime? I honestly don't know how much my daughter will use it, and the Kindle is for her, but if people love the Amazon Prime service, I might buy the Kindle today. So many choices!! Thanks!

I just saw that the Kindle Fire 7inch is on sale today only at Amazon for $119, with $40 off the price of Amazon Prime if you buy (so $59 instead of $99). The price for the tablet itself will be lower on Black Friday (109.99 is what I've seen at Toys R Us and Staples), but I doubt that Amazon Prime will be cheaper. Anyone use Amazon Prime? I honestly don't know how much my daughter will use it, and the Kindle is for her, but if people love the Amazon Prime service, I might buy the Kindle today. So many choices!! Thanks!

I love having Prime, and for me it pays for itself even at $99.  Getting it for $59 would be awesome, but it really depends on your usage.  I shop a lot on Amazon, so the free shipping is a big deal for me.  Add in the 1 free book a month, the Amazon Video, the Music streaming, and now the Prime Photos (which I have not used yet so can't really comment on), it's more than worth it.

• Like 3

Does the Kindle fire have basically all the same apps that are available on ipads specifically the game apps?

no it doesnt have all the same apps, also some games i have found out dont get updated as often as the ipad versions do, some games i play i can do things on the ipad version that I cant on the kindle

Does the Kindle fire have basically all the same apps that are available on ipads specifically the game apps?

The other thing is that you're locked into getting your apps from the Amazon store, not Google Play.  So there's not as many apps available,

Does anyone know about the parental controls on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite? I am considering this for my almost 7 year old son. I want to be able to password protect downloads, purchases, internet, etc. We have a Kindle Fire HD from last year that my 8 year old daughter has and they argue over it all the time. I love the kindle and parental controls. The only thing I don't like is that I read a lot and all my books show up on their kindle right after purchase and the ads of course but they navigate that very well. My husband and I have Galaxy cell phones so the Galaxy Tab would not be a problem for any of us to use.