Possible Removal of Freebies & Free Offers Forum

Brad

Hello everyone,

Over the past year or so, we've noticed much less activity in this sub-forum, and the current activity level just does not support keeping it as a dedicated sub-forum.

However rather than immediately close it, we're going to give it one more chance, but it's up to you, the GD community, to decide if it's worth saving. You can express your desire to keep it by contributing and posting new freebie threads to generate some activity in here.

We will re-evaluate the activity level of this forum at a later date and it is at that point that we'll make the decision regarding the long-term viability of this sub-forum.

This is one of the non-deal forums that we added as a convenience to the members, so I personally can't devote much time to it as it doesn't generate much revenue for the site compared to the core deal forums, so it's up to you all if you want to see it stay.

So to sum it up, if you want to see this forum stick around, start posting some new freebies threads so we can see the value in keeping it.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to post here or PM me.

The freebies section is what directed me to GD in 2005. Unfortunately, the freebies just aren't there like back then. Especially the past few years I've noticed less and less freebies. It's sad.

Would there be a good place to post a freebie...like maybe a Miscellaneous forum?

I agree with you... Most of time is not really a freebie or it is just isn't worth it. And, that a mic forum does sound good otherwise they might end up in the online forum which sometimes doesn't apply

I think a big part of the problem is the economy has tanked so badly companies are just trying to stay afloat and can't afford to give as many freebies and give aways as they have in the past. I think if we just hang in there they will all come back, but its the health of the economy that this section reflects.
  • Like 1

I think Facebook has a lot to do with it. There are tons of freebie pages on facebook & if you subscribe to them the posts pop right up on your home page so there is not as much need to b e looking elsewhere. Kind of sad, but there ARE still a lot of freebies out there its just more convenient to find them, on Facebook.

I think Facebook has a lot to do with it. There are tons of freebie pages on facebook & if you subscribe to them the posts pop right up on your home page so there is not as much need to b e looking elsewhere. Kind of sad, but there ARE still a lot of freebies out there its just more convenient to find them, on Facebook.

That's terrible....not ALL of us are on FB! (or want to be)

I don't like getting freebies from Facebook. They want you to like/subscribe to their page, and I am very picky about who/what I share my personal information with.

This and the contests forum used to be some of the most heavily used forums. I, myself was an active contributor to both. But, lately it seems that the big companies are just not doing freebies and sweeps as much. Yet another sad victim of the crappy economy..........RIP, Freebies forum. *sniff*

Wow, this is so surprising. The freebie section is how I found gd and is all I used to use then thanks to finding gd I was introduced to legitimate surveys. It seems like since I had my youngest son a few years ago I drifted away from the forums and didn't have time for surveys but the few extra dollars it brought in for a few years is remembered and I owe it to this forum! I'm glad I came across it again on taptalk I really loved this forum. I can imagine there aren't as many freebies as there were back then cuz alot of the freebies were to promote new websites that don't have to give away stuff like they used to cuz of all of the free advertising they can do now and like someone else said the economy makes it hard to give away free stuff or there aren't many new businesses because of the economy so there's not as much promoting needed... And then I guess I've been busy trying to find deals for stuff I need and regularly buy instead of free stuff that I don't need, not saying I don't like freebies, it's just that I think the few minutes I have to go online in peace goes to browsing online ads. Thanks everyone who contributes to the wealth of information here!

sent from my Reborn optimus s using taptalk

I also (actually my dh) found GD because of the freebies section! I never posted many of em because they are always here already, same as the deals. I agree with many other there isn't very many anymore so less posts. I don't post alot but am a avid reader of all of GD. I will be sad to see em go, but I will follow the freebies section where ever it may go!

• 5 months later...

The freebies section is what directed me to GD in 2005. Unfortunately, the freebies just aren't there like back then. Especially the past few years I've noticed less and less freebies. It's sad.

Would there be a good place to post a freebie...like maybe a Miscellaneous forum?

Amen! You got that right!

• 1 year later...

The freebies section is what directed me to GD in 2005. Unfortunately, the freebies just aren't there like back then. Especially the past few years I've noticed less and less freebies. It's sad. Would there be a good place to post a freebie...like maybe a Miscellaneous forum?

I agree with you.I like to see actual free stuff,not just junk like coupons.

I don't want to have to use facebooj to get freebies.I want to just do it online--not have a bunch of junk show up on my timeline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Freebies are what brought me here in the first place.  I was a stay at home mom and had time to look for post freebies, I got a job a year ago and barely have time to check the deals boards much less post freebies anymore.  Plus they aren't as plentiful as they used to be when I started coming here.  Glad that it's staying around for a while!