Do you think the BB BF Ad will be good this year?

deanabrown

Do you think the BB BF Ad will be good this year? BB's ads for the past few months haven't been too good compared to previous years. What are your thoughts?

I think a major factor in the lackluster Best Buy ads lately has been the lack of major competition as more retailers go out of business (for example, Circuit City). I don't see any new competitors popping up before BF so I'm not expecting Best Buy to run a killer ad and destroy its gross margins.

I agree 100%. The ad last year was not as good as in past years.

I think a major factor in the lackluster Best Buy ads lately has been the lack of major competition as more retailers go out of business (for example, Circuit City). I don't see any new competitors popping up before BF so I'm not expecting Best Buy to run a killer ad and destroy its gross margins.

I don't know if I would go on to say lack of compeition. With Circuit City gone, HHGREG has poped up in 2 of circuit city's previous locations in my local area. HHGREG was never a big player in Florida till this year.

Im interested to see what they do this year.

Im predicting HHGregg will blow best buy out of the water this year. HH Gregg has had really good sales the past few months and was the first store where I saw a GOOD blu-ray player for $120. Then again Best Buy might surprise us I know they have had some deals too just unadvertised (like my brand new Dell that they had on clearance nad had more memory and harddrive space than computers at double the price)

HHGregg is a regional store in 9 states and wont have much impact on BB just like Frys or any of the other regionals out there. They may hurt them in local areas but not over all.

Im predicting HHGregg will blow best buy out of the water this year. HH Gregg has had really good sales the past few months and was the first store where I saw a GOOD blu-ray player for $120. Then again Best Buy might surprise us I know they have had some deals too just unadvertised (like my brand new Dell that they had on clearance nad had more memory and harddrive space than computers at double the price)

I heard somewhere that Walmart is going to become BB's new next "big" competetor? Obviously WM is really not up to date on technology with their electronics, but who knows maybe with the lack of competetors it might be true.:confused:

I dont think WM will ever become BB competitor. For that to happen WM will have to open it's own electronics store and carry everything that BB does. I think in some markets WM will do well in electronics. People who go to BB or went to CC not only went there to buy stuff but also to ask questions and get answers. I dont see WM being the place for answers.

I heard somewhere that Walmart is going to become BB's new next "big" competetor? Obviously WM is really not up to date on technology with their electronics, but who knows maybe with the lack of competetors it might be true.:confused:

Walmart might become a major competitor in terms of units sold or total dollar sales in Electronics, but the two companies cater to a different clientele. Most people I know that are regular Best Buy shoppers probably wouldn't even set foot inside a Walmart, much less buy electronic equipment from them.

My issue with walmart is it doesn't matter how long I wait when the clock strikes it becomes a psyco free for all. I camp at Best Buy I know I'm getting what I'm after. Last year at walmart I was knocked over for a freaking camera. that said if Best Buy doesn't bring the deals I sure as hell won't freeze in a tent in front of their store. If HHGreg has good deals I may have to go there. Do they have a ticket system?

What?!

People who shop at Best Buy dont shop at Walmart? Bullcrap they dont. You can price match ANYTHING at Walmart. The electronic section is growing, the one by me has at least doubled their tv offerings alone, and I'm talking name brand good tv, not insignia or something like that.

Best Buy's ads sucked the last two years, and this year will be no different. I think next year, by this time Besy Buy will have competition, dont know from who but they will. Walmart is targeting stores like Best Buy and even stores like Toysrus. They are and already haved remodeled stores near me to directly compete with those markets. Its not you white trash superstore anymore. I didnt like walmart at first, but they have good prices. And their BF ad will blow BB's out of the water, electronics and all.

***My prediction is Walmart will have a $99 Laptop! SHhhh...

WM will price match anything if it is the same item but be careful when price matching BB items. BB likes to have the manufacture create a special SKU and Model number for there door buster desktops and laptops. This way they can prevent from people price matching because most price matching policies state it has to be the same exact item. BB also likes to customize the config so you will have to buy more RAM and makes it harder to PM.

What?!

People who shop at Best Buy dont shop at Walmart? Bullcrap they dont. You can price match ANYTHING at Walmart. The electronic section is growing, the one by me has at least doubled their tv offerings alone, and I'm talking name brand good tv, not insignia or something like that.

Best Buy's ads sucked the last two years, and this year will be no different. I think next year, by this time Besy Buy will have competition, dont know from who but they will. Walmart is targeting stores like Best Buy and even stores like Toysrus. They are and already haved remodeled stores near me to directly compete with those markets. Its not you white trash superstore anymore. I didnt like walmart at first, but they have good prices. And their BF ad will blow BB's out of the water, electronics and all.

***My prediction is Walmart will have a $99 Laptop! SHhhh...

What?!

I don't. Wal-Mart isn't close enough. It's about 10-12 miles away, and it's really a painful 10-12 miles to get there. BB is less than 2 miles away.

Plus the fact there's only ONE Wal-Mart on this part of the Bay doesn't help that Wal-Mart at all.

But I do have Fry's Electronics.

I have to agree with the notion that Best Buy's ad will be lackluster at best. With no REAL competition and the local WMs not having the selection or stock of BB, they have no incentive to produce a stellar ad. Just look at WM and BB for Bluray movies; my local WM stocks about 20 different Blurays while BB stocks about 2000! A HUGE difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree also, but really hope you are wrong! :)

I dont think WM will ever become BB competitor. For that to happen WM will have to open it's own electronics store and carry everything that BB does. I think in some markets WM will do well in electronics. People who go to BB or went to CC not only went there to buy stuff but also to ask questions and get answers. I dont see WM being the place for answers.

I hate to disagree with you, but in the last two years prior to last year's disasterous sales figures, Walmart was the company which caused Best Buy to come up with secret sales of their own. Walmart is the one to watch, as they are the leading retailer of choice. As far as sales clerks knowing their product, both Best buy and circuit City did not have many veterans left, but gave us kids who don't know squat. I have caught them in out and out lies and dumbfounded by customers on countless occaisions. Savvy customers do their own research and avoid wet behind the ears clerks.

I would have to agree, the days of the $229 laptop are gone with the lack of any serious competition. There will be other laptop deals out there but but not like there used to be. Don't under estimate Staples, I did some price comparisons in the the past few years and Staples has other good electonics such as external hard drives cheaper than Best Buy, without having to get to the store 20 hours early, Staples is well-stocked on most sale items. I've been camping out at Best Buy for about the past 10 years or so, this year I may break tradition.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the lines looked like last year at your Best Buys at opening, but I was actually able to walk around the store last year without getting caught in a "wave" of people. There were only 30% of the people from previous years. Last years line when it opened was about the size it has been in the past at 10pm Thursday night, so they may have a few "HOT" sales just to get people line up and get them in the door even if they only have 10 of the item per store. The idea is to get the people in, and if someone stands all night on the Best Buy line there is a good chance they may go for a non-sale item before they leave empty handed.

My guess is a $400 42 inch lcd and a $149 netbook. Other than that, Blu-Ray and other misc electronics will be big. I think WM will be really competitive this year, and that will make BB nervous.

I agree with Taz too, I find Staples to be a lot more lucrative for me, mostly because I don't have to show up 12 hours early.

I too saw that the lack of secret sales by best buy hurt them tremendously. The "where are all the people" questions were answered by others who drove by saying that it wasn't worth it this year, due to the lack of real incentives from previous years, and the "Why are you out here" questions were many.