>>> Official Black Friday 2009 DESKTOP COMPUTER Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

As always, we have several dedicated threads for the hotter items each Black Friday. Please try to keep all discussion related to these items in their official threads. Other threads posted will likely be merged into this main thread.

This first post will also be used for important links, info, tips, etc... as we get closer to Black Friday.

• 1 month later...
Apple Computers last on average 5-7 years longer than PCs do (in my children's experiences). They have no viruses. The parental controls work great. OS X 10.6 is a super kid-friendly operating system. I have not bought a PC...since buying a Mac. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

What would be the best deal for a pc? I know - I have a Mac and a Linux, and they are the best - BUT I need something that will run some old games and some of my work programs. I don't care about graphics that much, just fast processor and decent memory.

Apple Computers last on average 5-7 years longer than PCs do (in my children's experiences). They have no viruses. The parental controls work great. OS X 10.6 is a super kid-friendly operating system. I have not bought a PC...since buying a Mac. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

How do you judge years longer? I still have an Atari 800 computer that still works, lol. I'm sure there are some Apples that old too though. My neighbor had an Apple, but games sucked, so I was turned off a long time ago. Plus the price. I build my own machines now for a lot less and they ALL last. I've got several just sitting around, lol.

This forum is about Black Friday and the poster asked if there would Windows 7 computers on sale on that day. The answer is yes. The ad from a vendor who shall not be named had a Compaq Presario Dual-Core Desktop w/ 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, Windows 7 - $239.99.

I don't know why mac-o-philes thread crap and pontificate...ok I do (and I've seen treatments for that on late night tv)...but do we need to dilute this important sticky with offtopic drivel?

Is the Compaq Presario with Windows 7 that is on sale for 239 a good deal or a great deal? I tried searching the web for CQ5210F but it being a relatively new computer, there is not much out there in the way of reviews. Obviously there are better boxes out there, but the 239 price range is what I am looking to pay. Any geeks have any thoughts on this, (besides buying an apple)?

I desperately need a new desktop! I am hoping to get a dell with a Core 2 Quad (or AMD equivalent) processor with 8gb memory. I love my dell and have had major issues with a number of the other major brands so I want to stick with what has been good for me. Does anyone think I could snag a tower for around $399 with these specs on BF? I don't need a monitor or anything else extra. Thanks!

Is the Compaq Presario with Windows 7 that is on sale for 239 a good deal or a great deal? I tried searching the web for CQ5210F but it being a relatively new computer, there is not much out there in the way of reviews. Obviously there are better boxes out there, but the 239 price range is what I am looking to pay. Any geeks have any thoughts on this, (besides buying an apple)?

First, don't fret about not buying an Apple/Mac computer. What you get with it is an off-the-shelf Intel processor mated to an Nvidia motherboard, off-the-shelf memory and hard drive wrapped in a nice, white case. These days the major difference between Macs and PCs is just the operating system, despite what others claim.

As for the OM Compaq computer, yes, it's a nice deal. I'd be hard pressed to match it building a comparable computer unless I really watched for sales, like the ever present cpu/mb bundles from Fry's....but you have to have a Fry's B&M store to take advantage of the prices (like the recent Intel E6300 cpu/MSI G31 motherboard bundle for $70....huge deal!)

Overall, the Compaq is a good buy, but I'd wait until all the stores, such as BB, Staples, OD, etc., come out with their deals before getting your heart and wallet set on any particular model.

probably a dumb question, but do you think that model will include a monitor? I know you can get a full box (with monitor) compaq at WM now for less than $400, I thought $350.

Not the Compaq doorbuster at OM. They list a 18.5" diagonal LCD monitor separately for $99 in the ad, which isn't a horrible price......pretty average, actually, just not horrible.

The reason I say average for that monitor is that 18.5" monitors can routinely be found for like $90 AR every day.....$110 before rebate.....so the $100 price for that monitor in OM's ad isn't that great a price break. Just about routine, actually.

Old school here - I want a deal on one with XP Pro... Dreaming I know - but there HAVE to be some refurbs out there just hanging around waiting for ME to buy them! ;)

About the only trustworthy retailer that I've seen that sells refurbs with XP, outside ebay, is MicroCenter. But I have to wonder why anyone wants to put money into a system these days that has an operating system that is on its last legs, at least from the viewpoint of hardware support, updating, etc.

About the only trustworthy retailer that I've seen that sells refurbs with XP, outside ebay, is MicroCenter. But I have to wonder why anyone wants to put money into a system these days that has an operating system that is on its last legs, at least from the viewpoint of hardware support, updating, etc.

Why? Because it is a time-tested stable OS and there are still some peripherals that don't support Windows Vista and Win 7!

P.S. Geeksdotcom has many great deals on XP systems...

Why? Because it is a time-tested stable OS and there are still some peripherals that don't support Windows Vista and Win 7!

Which is why Windows 7 is so much better...XP mode. Heard of it? Gets anything that has no drivers appropriate for Win 7 to function in Win 7. Ought to try it out.

What is the average door buster price for PC's - I have never shopped for one on BF and I need one this year. Keep in mind, we dont need a GOOD computer just cheap, lol.

I'm gonna take a guess you will see quite a few between the $250-$450 mark

For most people this will be more than what you need. Heck, they are all made in China now, so look at what is inside, not the name in the outside.

What is the average door buster price for PC's - I have never shopped for one on BF and I need one this year. Keep in mind, we dont need a GOOD computer just cheap, lol.

The cheapest desktop I ever bought on BF was a $125 eMachine in 2006. P4-era Celeron, 3.2 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 80 Gb HD.

While it still works, I no longer have it hooked up. The main fan got noisy last fall, and I replaced with a quad-core system I built myself for $500.

The big ugly this year is that Intel has such a wide range of processors for the market that you need a scorecard . . . so here goes:

Really low end = Celeron Dual Core, Intel Atom (mostly single core), AMD Sempron (single core)

Low end = Pentium Dual Core, Athlon x2

Medium = Core 2 Duo, Phenom II x2, Phenom II x3 (a three core oddity)

Higher end = Core 2 Quad, Core i5 (actually a quad core), Phenom II x4

Highest end = Core i7 (also a quad)

The doorbuster super-cheapo desktop PC is always a bit antiquated. I wouldn't be shocked to see a few single-core systems still floating around for $100-150 depending on how badly the stores want to get rid of them.

Anymore, you should aim for a good dual-core for general use.

That's where I think this year could get interesting. The Pentium Dual Core (not to be confused with the old, crappy Pentium Ds) and Celeron Dual Core processors are selling $50-75 cheaper than any other Intels. And the AMD chips are very competitive. Pair a PDC with a 160 Gb HD, 2 Gb RAM and Windows 7, and you have a meaner computer than most BFers now own.

I like the odds on a door buster $150-200 Pentium Dual Core. A lot of all day systems should be PDCs and Core 2 Duos in the $250-400 range. Expect a quad core for $400-600. And maybe Best Buy goes over the top and sells a $1000 Core i7 (the current king of all processors).

And maybe if we're really, really lucky, someone will sell a sub-$200 Intel Atom desktop. Currently, a pretty nifty one can be had on NewEgg for $200 (no accessories).

In truth, if you really watch the sales, especially on TigerDirect, you could probably snag a competitively priced desktop before BF.

The fact that you don't see viruses on the Mac has nothing to do with it being superior at all. Apple only has 5% marketshare worldwide when it comes to personal computers. Virus/malware/trojan/worm writers aren't going waste their time on 5% of the world. They want the big fish... so they attack PC's.

The fact that you don't see viruses on the Mac has nothing to do with it being superior at all. Apple only has 5% marketshare worldwide when it comes to personal computers. Virus/malware/trojan/worm writers aren't going waste their time on 5% of the world. They want the big fish... so they attack PC's.

Okay actually the main reason is Mac OS X has a Unix based file system & kernel hence it is harder to infect with a self-replicating program...

Thank you 8truthes for that VERY informational info :)

We are looking for a computer for my husband. He does 4 things online

#1 - checks the red sox scores (in season)

#2 - Reads the online newspaper from our home town

#3 - Stalks craigslist for more junk we do not need

#4 - once in a great while he will checks out you tube for music or funny stuff

He does not even have an email address or know how to check email.

With all that being said I think the bottom of the barrel would be ok for him :)

Now if my son gets his hands on it we are in trouble - lol

Can someone guide me in what sort of requirements I would need for a desktop. We had 2 and they both crapped out on us. We just do internet , email and uploading pics. Sometimes do some office work. My husband would like to runa program for teaching design. Can you tell me what to look for and if there are and deals out there. We do not want to spend a ton!!!!

Thanks