When Good Deals Go Bad (and get even better!)

Okay so last week Kroger had a deal where you buy four boxes of cereal you get $4 off. Most of the boxes were priced (before $4 discount) at four for ten dollars. So after the discount that made the cereal $1.50 a box. Good Deal! :)

However, our local Krogers (more than one had this) had Frosted Flakes four for eight dollars. After discount that would be four for four dollars or a dollar a box. Better Deal! :shock:

In addition I had two coupons for $1 off two boxes of Kellogs cereal. Therefore buy four boxes of Frosted Flakes (4 for $8) get discount (now 4 for $4) use TWO coupons on four boxes (NOW four BOXES FOR $2!) GREAT DEAL :eyepoppin

So how does a great deal become an amazing deal? Well first it has to become a bad deal and it works something like this. As I rang up my order (U-Scan) the register wanted to charge me $2.50 a box (four for ten). It gave me the four dollar discount but this brought it down to only $6 instead of $4 as it should. I pointed this out to the cashier and even walked with her over to the cereal isle and showed her the price tag. She agreed that was this price but refused to fix it on the register! She even called the service desk and confirmed they absolutely would not sell it any cheaper than what had rung up (not the stated price on the shelf!) Fed up I was ready to leave without the cereal (had made a special stop just to get it). But then I asked if it was the manager she had talked to, she said no it was the service desk. But then the manager happened to walk by at that exact time. She knew I was going to ask she called him over. I showed him the price and he agreed with me. This is where it gets GOOD. Not only did the manager make them give me the cereal at four for eight dollars (as they should have) he made them give me one box free! So now the deal goes something like this BUY four boxes of Frosted Flakes for eight dollars. Get four dollars off (now $4 for four boxes). Get one box free NOW $2. Use two one dollar coupons. Final price 5 cents (tax) for four boxes of Frosted Flakes! AMAZING DEAL! :cheesy:

To top it off after I proudly deposited my dime into the U-Scan machine I looked in the little cup for my change and there with my nickel was a quarter someone else had left behind! So I actually made 20 cents off the deal!

Now the question is why did the cashier have to get so defensive? It's not like they work on a commission. This is not the first time a cashier has gotten upset over giving me a really good deal. I know if I was the cashier all I would want to know is where to get the coupons and go get the deal myself!

Awesome Deal!

Reminds me of my Jewel/Osco deal last year. They had Zune's and Zune speakers in the Osco department. My MIL works there, so I get a discount. Their policy is if the price rings up different then on the shelf, you get that item free. Well, the speaker had a $49.99 shelf tag. It was way up high, so I had to have the manager get it down for me. When I went to checkout, it rang up for $99.99 I told the cashier that she needed a price check, because the shelf tag said $49.99. So she calls the manager, and he said that the speakers were in the wrong section, but to go ahead and give me the price of $49.99 I was happy with that until the customer behind me reminded me about their price is right or it's free rule. So I asked the cashier about it. She rolled her eyes and had to call the manager again. He honored it, so I got it FREE! That was awesome!

Good for you!! Our Kroger is filled with clerks like the ones you interacted with too, but the Manager is SUPER! Always ready to stand behind his prices and never ever rude or indignant. Aggravates me that you have to jump thru hoops sometimes, but glad to see yours paid off!

even sweeter deal if you bought a total of 10 Kellogg items and you get a $10 rebate.

If I ever notice the price doesn't ring up right at Kroger, I keep going then take my receipt over to the customer service desk where they will honor the scan right guarantee.

But I love shopping at Kroger!

even sweeter deal if you bought a total of 10 Kellogg items and you get a $10 rebate.

If I ever notice the price doesn't ring up right at Kroger, I keep going then take my receipt over to the customer service desk where they will honor the scan right guarantee.

But I love shopping at Kroger!

I did just that the night before! I was buying a tea jug that was on clearance. It rang up at $4.99 which I knew was the wrong price. But I was not sure what the right one was, just that it was something less than $4.99. So I checked out, went back and checked the price ($4.01) went to the service desk and... FREE tea jug!