What has been your Toys R Us experience on BF?

brinak2005

Last year (or maybe it was the year before...) I made the HUGE mistake of separating from DH. He dropped me off at 4am at TRU and went to WM. There were tons of people ahead of me (plus about 50 people jumped out of their cars and ran inside as soon as they opened- GRR!). I couldn't find anything and could barely move there were so many people. Finally I broke away from the crowd and headed for the Transformers... there was one Optimus Prime left and as I headed for it, some crazy lady rammed my cart so hard that I pretty much fell onto one of the shelves! She started reaching for the Prime, but some guy who had seen what had happened grabbed it and handed it over her shoulder to me. Take that, biotch!

So then I go to get into line... I decided I'm not looking for anything else... I just want out! I get into line... probably 100 people are ahead of me. Then an employee comes over, says they are breaking the lines up and starting at the lady in front of me, to follow him. He leads us to a barrier, then says he'll be right back... 30 minutes later (the people that were BEHIND me in the original line had already checked out!) he comes back, tells us, "Oops, I wasn't supposed to do that... I need to put you back in the original line."

DH calls.... he's already in the parking lot, back from the WM clear across town! 30 minutes later, I'm finally back in the car with nothing to show for my troubles but a $40 Optimus Prime that I paid $20 for. I would have paid $20 more just to avoid TRU! GRR! And to top it off, 2 days after Christmas, Prime was already broken!

All that said, depending on the ad, I may go back this year, just with a different plan... DH comes with me, I head straight for the line while he runs around and grabs anything we need (he is more assertive... although he is a sucker for old ladies... he had an old lady tell him a sob story a couple years ago about her chronically ill grandson really wanting the Zelda Nintendo DS... then when he gave it to her, he saw he hand it to another lady who already had 3 of them and say, "I got another one!" People are sick...)

• 1 month later...
I am new here and jumping in to post. I have shopped at TRU for black friday many many times over the past 13 years I have been bf shopping, and after this past year, I think I am done with TRU on bf. I shopped at the Concord, NH store last year, I was there about and hour 1/2 before opening, got in and it was so crowded and the isles were so jampacked, and then combined with everyone's carraiges, you couldn't move. Then the line was wrapped all around through the store like a line at Disney World. I waited in line for about 2 hours.

TRU would have to be holding my child/husband ransom for me to make it a first stop...and even then it would probably depend on the last 24 hrs of behavior

ETA: Didnt someone get shot at a TRU last year?

Ok - that made me laugh so hard - I needed that this am!! I am so with ya on that comment!

I only have been to TRU a couple times on BF. Both experiences were hell. I was 3rd in line. By the time the doors opened, 50 people at least tried to run from their cars. It was horrible. I was shoved so bad that day.

Then once I did get everything... The lines were HORRIBLE. It took me over 45 minutes to check out. No organization. Now maybe it has gotten better as I haven't been for over 3 years, but I seriously doubt it.

When you go there, count on shoving back lol.

Well, I have to say I have been to TRU on BF the past few years and though, yes it was busy, but the staff at mine have kept it very organized, do not allow anyone to jump in line when the doors open because they have staff and police helping to manage the lines outside. They brought tickets last year for big ticket items and due to police being there, no one was selling them. Sorry to hear about all of the bad experiences, because I can't say I have had to experience any of it. Of course I have to wait in line to check out...it's BF. But, that's usually when my mom or I run back to get something we forgot, while the other one stands in line or we chat with the others to help pass the time.

If the TRU by where I live had more space I would go. BUT it is soooo small that last year when I finally got there about 9 am there were still 100s of people there and the lines were insane. This is one store I will avoid completely.