HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor [email protected]

elite2058

HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor

Price: $399 free in-store pickup or pay $14.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9415046&st=9415046&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218101176666&ref=39&loc=01&AID=10474050&PID=919776&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9415046%26st%3D9415046%26lp%3D1%26type%3Dproduct%26cp%3D1%26id%3D1218101176666%26ref%3D10%26loc%3D01

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9415/9415046_rb.jpg

Specs

Intel Pentium Processor T4200 2 GHz

4GB DDR2 Memory

250GB 5400RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive

LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

802.11b/g WLAN

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

High speed 56k modem

HP Webcam with integrated microphone

15.6" HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

Weight 6.57 lbs

This has a dual core processor right?

I need a computer for web surfing, email, and watching TV shows online. Is this a good choice?

The T4200 is a dual core processor (not core 2 duo) and it should be fine for the uses you mention. It also has an HDMI port to connect it to your TV.

Great price but lousy video card. I was really tempted since I need a new laptop

but this won't even do the bare minimum for even games from 07 and 08 so I'll pass.

Otherwise, if you don't play any games I say grab this. I checked online and was

surprised it didn't sell out already.

Great price but lousy video card. I was really tempted since I need a new laptop

but this won't even do the bare minimum for even games from 07 and 08 so I'll pass.

Otherwise, if you don't play any games I say grab this. I checked online and was

surprised it didn't sell out already.

Does a lousy video card only affecting gaming, not watching TV shows? The motion is jerky on my old computer when I watch shows.

Thanks! Is it a good value for the money too?

Yes, it's a good value. It has integrated graphics which will be fine for most users, unless you're a gamer and play the latest graphic-intensive action games. If you're a serious gamer get one with dedicated graphics but I doubt you'll find one for $399.

What's the difference between core 2 duo and dual core?

A core 2 duo processor is a newer design with a slightly different architecture that gives it greater processing ability (on the average about 30% faster than dual core). It is also more expensive so you usually have to spend around $500 and up to get a laptop with C2D.

Great Laptop, just bought it and it is very nice. They were lined up this morning for it and we checked it out and bought one. We got the brother wireless printer with it, ended up costing just over $20 for it with buying the laptop.

Reg. Price: $99.99

You Save: $20.00

Sale: $79.99 -$40 for buying laptop=$19.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9318758&type=product&id=1218084034888

What's the difference between core 2 duo and dual core?

Good question. A Core2Duo IS a dual core, but its name simply indicates that its a higher quality dual core. Simply put, processors nowadays also contain their own cache, or staging area, where numbers needing to be crunched are sent to be fed into the processor. This cache area can be big or little. It can be fast or slow. Basically, the Core2Duo processors from Intel utilize their bigger and faster caches and the regular "dual core" processors (or more precisely, the non-Core2Duo processors) are stuck with the slower, smaller caches. In the effort of keeping this conversation simple, I won't delve into the speed and size of the various other components that also come into play such as the RAM, North Bridge, etc...

Picture it as you would a 2 lane highway.

• A Core2Duo 2 lane highway would have (obviously) 2 lanes and a speed limit of 75mph. For the point of the argument, let's say that the road was very heavily policed and they were keeping you to 75 mph.
  • A non-Core2Duo would also have two lanes, but would have a 55mph speed limit with similar policing activity. The road itself could probably handle faster speeds, but in the effort of keeping things safe (or padding the county pockets with speeding ticket fees), the signs on the side of the road are limiting your speed.

Either one would probably be better than a single lane road though, right?

Great Laptop, just bought it and it is very nice. They were lined up this morning for it and we checked it out and bought one. We got the brother wireless printer with it, ended up costing just over $20 for it with buying the laptop.

Reg. Price: $99.99

You Save: $20.00

Sale: $79.99 -$40 for buying laptop=$19.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9318758&type=product&id=1218084034888

Hmmm....could you run those numbers by me again....?

Would you say the specs are good enough for a college student who likes to download iTunes stuff?

This is more than enough computer to run most any web browser out there, any email client and download as many mp3's as they can stuff in that 250GB HDD.

Just make sure the student doesn't need to run anything really big like AutoCAD or Maya or something.

If you put the laptop and brother wireless laptop in your cart the price showed $19.99 in the cart. They charged me $39.99 at the store. So, I printed out the copy of my cart with the $19.99 to have them credit my card. My sister just went to the store and got her credit of $20.

Sale Price $79.99

-$60 for buy the laptop with printer

Total: $19.99

If you put the laptop and brother wireless laptop in your cart the price showed $19.99 in the cart. They charged me $39.99 at the store. So, I printed out the copy of my cart with the $19.99 to have them credit my card. My sister just went to the store and got her credit of $20.

Sale Price $79.99

-$60 for buy the laptop with printer

Total: $19.99

Rock on! Glad they honored the price in the cart for you. :)

Anyone have any experience with BestBuy and whether or not these items come back in stock? It says sold out now, and I've a friend that just mentioned they were looking for just such a deal. I've seen other places like Sears and WalMart where an item will bounce back and forth from out of stock to in stock periodically through a week. Should I tell them too bad or tell them to keep an eye on the website as its likely to come back.

If you're looking for a laptop with a good graphics card, and most other bells and whistles, for a decent price, I suggest the HP Pavilion dv6-1260se Artist Edition 2 16" Notebook.

If you try to configure one of their other laptops, and upgrade to the graphics card included in this laptop, it will cost you $400 just for that upgrade.

This has AMD Turion X2 ZM-85 2.3GHz / 4GB RAM / 500GB Hard Drive / ATI Radeon HD 4650 / DVD±R/RW / Webcam / 802.11AGN / Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

$879.99 at jr.com, $879 at Beach Camera, and $896.56 at Amazon. There is currently a $50 rebate available, and HP is offering free upgrade to Windows7, when it becomes available.

I bought mine from jr.com. Used my Amex, and got triple rewards points (over $25 worth of points). If you have an Amazon card, and buy from Amazon, you'd get triple points for that, too. But with Amex, you get an extra year on the warranty, for free, and 90 days of protection against loss, theft, or accidental damage.

I live in CA, and would not have paid tax at any of these retailers, and all are offering free shipping.

Edited by ramonv
typos

We bought this computer for my DS on Sunday for college..All the reviews were good.We took it back to Best Buy as he was having trouble with it.They determined it was a bad disc drive.Of course since it was a burst buy (they said)they had no more to exchange it for.None left on line either.So frustating to finally get him one and it be no good .This was supposed to be a graduation/birthday present too.A " sorry" just doesn't seem to do it.

We bought this computer for my DS on Sunday for college..All the reviews were good.We took it back to Best Buy as he was having trouble with it.They determined it was a bad disc drive.Of course since it was a burst buy (they said)they had no more to exchange it for.None left on line either.So frustating to finally get him one and it be no good .This was supposed to be a graduation/birthday present too.A " sorry" just doesn't seem to do it.

Your situation is not unique; quite a few people that bought this laptop are reporting problems with it. Some are disc-related, some sound related, some are reporting problems with the HDMI connection, and some are reporting that their laptop will not create the restore discs that you're supposed to burn when you first use it. You should've asked Best Buy to replace it with an equivalent model (even if from another manufacturer) since this batch of laptops is apparently buggy. That's probably why they got such a good price from HP on this model.

Your situation is not unique; quite a few people that bought this laptop are reporting problems with it. Some are disc-related, some sound related, some are reporting problems with the HDMI connection, and some are reporting that their laptop will not create the restore discs that you're supposed to burn when you first use it. You should've asked Best Buy to replace it with an equivalent model (even if from another manufacturer) since this batch of laptops is apparently buggy. That's probably why they got such a good price from HP on this model.

We did ask them to substitute an equivalent model both in store and on line and they said no.

We did ask them to substitute an equivalent model both in store and on line and they said no.

There will be other dual core laptops with similar specs for $399 or less over the next few weeks as retailers try to clear out the pre-Windows 7 models. You should be able to get something very similar to it for the same price before he goes off to college. Office Depot will have a very similar Compaq CQ60-433US (item # 658926) for $399 this coming Sunday. The specs are as follows:

Item # 658926

Manufacturer # VH169UA#ABA

processor brand Intel T4200

processor model Pentium Dual Core

diagonal screen size 15.6 inches

memory 4 GB

hard drive capacity 320 GB

screen resolution 1366 x 768

weight 6.57 lb

optical drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM/DVD+R Double Layer

operating system Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

processor speed 2.0 GHz

frontside bus speed 800 MHz

memory type DDR2 SDRAM

maximum memory capacity 4 GB

wireless connectivity 802.11b/g

network connectivity 10/100 Ethernet

modem 56K V.90

webcam with microphone no

numeric keypad yes

ports 3 USB 2.0; 1 Ethernet; 1 VGA 15-pin D-sub

memory card reader yes

video graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with up to 1759MB shared memory

integrated speakers yes

audio hardware Altec Lansing

Energy Star qualified yes

FM tuner no

peripherals included none

warranty length 1-year limited

model name Presario CQ60-433US

brand name Compaq

manufacturer Compaq

postconsumer recycled content 0 %

total recycled content 0 %

Edited by yuyi64

There will be other dual core laptops with similar specs for $399 or less over the next few weeks as retailers try to clear out the pre-Windows 7 models. You should be able to get something very similar to it for the same price before he goes off to college. Office Depot will have a very similar Compaq CQ60-433US (item # 658926) for $399 this coming Sunday. The specs are as follows:

Item # 658926

Manufacturer # VH169UA#ABA

processor brand Intel T4200

processor model Pentium Dual Core

diagonal screen size 15.6 inches

memory 4 GB

hard drive capacity 320 GB

screen resolution 1366 x 768

weight 6.57 lb

optical drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM/DVD+R Double Layer

operating system Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1

processor speed 2.0 GHz

frontside bus speed 800 MHz

memory type DDR2 SDRAM

maximum memory capacity 4 GB

wireless connectivity 802.11b/g

network connectivity 10/100 Ethernet

modem 56K V.90

webcam with microphone no

numeric keypad yes

ports 3 USB 2.0; 1 Ethernet; 1 VGA 15-pin D-sub

memory card reader yes

video graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with up to 1759MB shared memory

integrated speakers yes

audio hardware Altec Lansing

Energy Star qualified yes

FM tuner no

peripherals included none

warranty length 1-year limited

model name Presario CQ60-433US

brand name Compaq

manufacturer Compaq

postconsumer recycled content 0 %

total recycled content 0 %

yep, you were right! They have one. You cannot order online, you must go to the store. I think I am going to check it out tomorrow...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/658926/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-433US-15-6/

I was the poster of this laptop and I was happy to get one, until it wouldnt shut off. The only way to shut it off was by holding the button down. We brought it back to best buy and they couldnt fix it and refused to offer me a similiar spec computer without paying way more. I told them it sounds like a scam, sell defective computers and when the consumer brings it back ask them for money for another one. I got my money back, but this is not the end of it :mad:

They wanted me to take a computer that was 1/2 the specs of this one and when I said no way. The one that was the closest, but still subpar, they said they couldn't give me it because it was $100 over what my price was. I made 4 trips to the store for this computer and I understand their can be problems but seems very strange so many. I told the guy seems strange that you cant fix it, cant get me a new one and then want me to upgrade and pay for the difference. I was not happy!