Black Friday on Columbus Day? Has anyone seen this?

CyntharianM

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/07/15/christmas-in-july-at-kmart-and-sears.aspx

This latest adventure in retailing may be indicative of two trends:

Holiday promotions will begin even earlier than usual around the retail world. "To get a jump-start on what might be a horrid Christmas shopping season, experts anticipate that stores will move up Black Friday, and perhaps begin their holiday marketing around Columbus Day," Time reports.

Kmart and Sears, both owned by Sears Holding Corp., continue to suffer from neglect. "Sears Holdings' underinvestment in stores has degraded its ability to withstand the magnitude of the current pullback in consumer spending," wrote Morgan Stanley analyst Gregory Melich, according to Time.

Black Friday on Columbus Day? :confused:

The problem is most people are lazy and don't want to start their holiday shopping that early. The actual Black Friday is good because it's the day after Thanksgiving - people know Christmas is right around the corner and they have a month or less. Panic slowly starts to set in and it gets people to the store. People are in the holiday spirit, etc... that won't happen on Columbus day. It's too early for most shoppers.

I think BF as we know it will continue. There might be extra "big" sales on other days, but a store that has a sale on Columbus day will still have a big BF ad because all the others stores will and they won't want to lose sales on that busy shopping day.

Regardless, we'll be here to cover everything. If this Columbus day becomes big enough and we can get the ads, we'll be ready to post them.

There will be a lot of sales during the entire 4th quarter this year, offline and online. And since we're a deal site open all year, we're more than prepared to cover everything, whether it's on the BF site or on the main GD site.

• 1 month later...
FWIW, I've been contacted by quite a few major retailers about various BF-related things and none have mentioned anything like this. They are all focused on the real BF. Of course things can change, but I've heard nothing supporting this over the last few months.

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any ads yet for anything exciting this weekend.

I haven't either. A reporter contacted me this week wondering where all the BF-like deals were this weekend, lol. Guess there was nothing to this story.