OSHA cites Wal-Mart in 2008 Black Friday Riot

bigjimslade

This is obviously WM's fault. Stores like BB that sell hot electronics have a ticket system or "max occupancy" system. (i know a BB near me lets in X# of people, then when 1/2/3/4 persons leave, 1/2/3/4 are allowed back in.) Target also seems to attract more "civilized" shoppers. last year I went to WM, BB and Target on BF, and the 24 hour WM was by FAR the worst place. The electronics area was completely congested with people trying to get at TV's and all the other hot items, and we literally could only walk in one direction, so my mom and I left without making a purchase, and we likely will not return to WM this year. We then slid over to BB and picked up some stuff then went over to a Target, which was pretty crowded, but all the hot stuff wasn't jammed into the electronics dept.

WM having to pay $7,000 is like a regular citizen having to pay $2.00 for a speeding ticket, its just a tiny inconvenience that isn't going to teach you anything.

WM should be fined by OSHA, fined by the county the WM was in, and be sued by the family of the victim for not having enough safety precautions in place to avoid this sort of thing. If WM was hit with fines totaling in the 8-figures, they would MAKE CERTAIN it would never happen again at any store.

YUP.......... I've been to Walmart on BF too and you get carried in the direction of everyone else. There are so many people in the store no one can even move. Total chaos! For a multi-billion dollar company to pay $7000 to OSHA is a joke, it's not going to change a thing.

YUP.......... I've been to Walmart on BF too and you get carried in the direction of everyone else. There are so many people in the store no one can even move. Total chaos! For a multi-billion dollar company to pay $7000 to OSHA is a joke, it's not going to change a thing.

again, how would it have helped to have Walmart pay the MAXIMUM fine of $10,000? They paid a $7K fine and several millions towards helping the community and those involved.

Our Walmart doesn't have any ticket system but we also do not have any trouble like this. There's a line at the front and people just hang out and chat and then when the doors are open, we're let in. Anyone trying to walk up and do a sudden cut is stopped until the entire line that was outside waiting is in. There's no pushing, shoving, fussing, anything like that, that I've ever seen and there is even a lot of helping with people helping others get items they need if that person happens to be in a group and someone is alone. It gets crowded in electronics, but still I've never seen outright rude. Maybe it's because we're in a small southern town and there's no BB or anything else around here, I don't know, but in 8 years of BF's I've not had a bad experience. But I think it's a sad situation all around and I think Walmart could definitely have done something more to control the crowd, especially if they're aware that they don't have the most courteous of customer on a regular day, then they should know there could be trouble on a day like BF.

This store is not to far from me and I know a few people that were there on Black Friday. Not only did they trample the "greeter", they knocked over the paramedics trying to get in to save his life.

ONE OF THE BEST REASONS NOT TO BRING KIDS WITH YOU ON BLACK FRIDAY!

Then again, the Walmart where this happened is in an area not too far from NYC and is the closest Walmart to the city. It attracts some real low life people who don't care about anyone but themselves. I've been to the store numerous times when I lived in New York City and there are many rude people there, both employees and even more so the customers.

my mil was at that walmart on b.f. she told us that the manager she was'nt sure if it was a asst. dept or what that he was standing next to him when it happen and just walked away another person ask him why he did'nt do something he's responce was every man for him self:no::mad: so it is true what tazErase said :no: