Recommendations for a good wireless router

I have a netgear 802.11 G router and had a netgear 802.11b wireless router before that. No problems at all with netgear routers, tech support was good. I think the most popular are the Linksys.

Speed wise though, your internet is capped from your ISP...so they all should be around the same. The only variation should be in the signal strength.

If you use the 10% off Bestbuy coupon found here. Starting tomorrow, Bestbuy has a 802.11 G D-Link Router for $60 with $40 of mail in rebates. Using the coupon brings it down to $14. Also, bestbuy has the Linksys 802.11G for $70 with $30 of mail in rebates. After the coupon, the total would be $33. I personally don't think the Linksys is worth double the price of the D-Link.

The linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS is one of the best. The fact that there are third pary firmwares out there does make it worth significantly more than other models.

If you aren't intersted in changing the firmware, the D-Link DI-624 is also a good choice.

Hmmm- it's actually the Dlink DI-524, and not the 624, on sale. Is the Xtreme G of the D-Link DI-624 preferable to the Linksys WRT54G?

No, I would say the Linksys is one of the best.

I would rank them as

1. Linksys WRT54G/GS

2. D-Link DI-624

3. Netgear

4. The rest

ok- dumb ?- but isn't the super G of the D-link supposedly twice the speed of the Linksys G- or am I missing something (entirely possible- even probable)?

Whether it's normal G or super G, it will NOT make your internet surfing any faster.

Also in order to take advantage of the "super G" you will also need the same brand USB adapters or laptop cards.

Are you hooking up a desktop or laptop to the wireless network?

Then what is the "purpose" of super G- I am confused- I thought it did make Internet surfing faster (not uncommon...); is what you are saying then is that it is useless if you are relying on a built in adaptor in the laptop?

Another question to throw out- what is pre-N (advantages to speed/connectivity)?

I am hooking up a desktop directly into one of the ports of the router (so it is wired) and a laptop wirelessly, which has an integrated wireless adaptor.

Thanks for your help.