Circuit City service plan; need help

Priysha

I have a service plan on a 55 inch TV bought from Circuit City 3 yrs and 11 months back. The service plan is from a 3rd party, but they simply have a recorded message on the 1-800 number and have not acknowledged my fax. The recorded message asks to fax them the required details of the problem.

The service plan runs out in February, any advice on how to get them to look at my problem ? Its an expensive lamp that needs replaced.

Thanks for offering to help. I have the fax number and phone number, and that is about it. Its called National Products ....something like that. I do not have a location.

The stores in Pittsburgh have closed down, already.

The service plan alone cost me $500, the lamp is about $200 plus charges to put it in. The circuit city salesman had sold us the service plan saying that the bulb's life was about 2 years and if we had 2 replacements, we would have recovered the cost. This is the first time the lamp stopped working and I get no response. :mad:

By the way, the TV stopped working the day before Superbowl Sunday and I live in Steelers nation. Talk about disappointment!:(

Thanks for the info, I was still on the fence about buying a large ticket item from them with the store closing but if I can not even get service then why bother?

In my experience the only warranty that is really worthwhile is the manufacturer's. For large TVs they'll come to you for service. Also, if you contact the manufacturer you often can get extend the warranty.

In my experience the only warranty that is really worthwhile is the manufacturer's. For large TVs they'll come to you for service. Also, if you contact the manufacturer you often can get extend the warranty.

Agree. But in my case, I am not sure if the manufacturer's warranty will be valid on a bulb that needs to be replaced periodically when it has lived its life. The service plan had claimed to cover it, though. There is no paperwork, just the Circuit City receipt with the additional cost shown that was charged for the service plan - as a separate line item.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Agree. But in my case, I am not sure if the manufacturer's warranty will be valid on a bulb that needs to be replaced periodically when it has lived its life. The service plan had claimed to cover it, though. There is no paperwork, just the Circuit City receipt with the additional cost shown that was charged for the service plan - as a separate line item.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you were still in the manufacturer's warranty period it would probably be covered. However, you don't have a manufacturer's warranty. Keep on trying to call and fax at this point, maybe check the internet for any information about them.

I did a search for "national product care" on google and came up with some interesting links about other companies that use them...Fryes, etc. You could try contacting stores that use them and see if you can find contact information. Can you backtrack googling the fax number and see what it gives you? At least you will know what city they are in.

Tf you cannot get a hold of them maybe a call to Better Business Bearo (sp?) or someone like that might be in order. You might also get creative and like Gloey said call some of these other Companies that use them and tell them you cannot get a hold of these guys..don't tell them the whole story about CC so they think you're calling about something you bought from them..

Here is the FAQ on extended warranties from the Circuit City website:

Circuit City FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Part Seven – Information about warranties and repairs

Updated February 12, 2009

(5:00 p.m.)

As you probably know, Circuit City Stores, Inc. is in the midst of court-ordered liquidation. After sixty years of serving the public, the company is going out of business.

We know that our customers, our associates, news reporters and others may still have questions so we have created a series of FAQ documents to respond.

We have divided the subject matter into separate documents in an effort to make the information easier to find and digest. We believe these documents will answer the vast majority of your questions. More on separate FAQ documents below.

We also invite you to check back for updates because new information may surface as our circumstances evolve.

News Editors: Please note that out of respect for our associates, we are NOT permitting media visits or interviews in our stores. Also, local store headcounts are not available.

WARRANTIES AND REPAIRS:

Are Circuit City’s EXTENDED WARRANTIES affected by the liquidation?

• No. Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® (extended warranties) have been backed by third-party independent companies for more than 15 years and as a result, are not impacted by Circuit City’s closing.

• Currently, all Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans are fully backed by the Assurant Solutions companies. Assurant Solutions operates as Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Sureway, Inc., and United Service Protection, Inc. Assurant Solutions is part of Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), and its extended service contacts are backed by an Assurant insurance subsidiary rated A “Excellent” by A.M. Best Co.

• Because they are backed by third-party company Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans WILL be available on products purchased during Circuit City’s liquidation sales (except in our three Puerto Rico locations).

• Assurant Solutions says it is not necessary for customers to call or email Assurant Solutions service centers to confirm the validity of their contracts.

• Carry-in service will no longer be available through Circuit City stores. Circuit City customers who subscribed to a plan that included carry-in service will be provided an alternative drop-off location for on-site service or shipping instructions to return items to an authorized service center.

What number do I call about my Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans® (extended warranty)?

Assurant Solutions says it is not necessary for customers to call or email Assurant Solutions service centers to confirm the validity of their contracts.

• For Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans purchased ON or AFTER December 1, 2006, please call the following number(s) to obtain service:

o Personal computers, laptops, printers, digital cameras and other computer-related equipment: 1.800.555.4615

o In Home Service for Televisions : 1.800.878.1167

o MP3 players, gaming systems, CD Players, camcorders, GPS, auto and home audio systems, and other consumer electronics items : 1.800.555.4615

o Appliances: 1.800.878.1167

• For Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans purchased BEFORE December 1, 2006, please call the following number(s) to obtain service:

o Personal computers, laptops, printers, digital cameras and other computer-related equipment: 1.800.555.4615

o In Home Service for Televisions: 1.800.286.0470

o CD Players, camcorders, GPS, auto and home audio systems, and other consumer electronics items : 1.800.286.0470

o Appliances: 1.800.286.0470

What do I do if I want to cancel the remainder of my Circuit City Advantage Protection Plan?

• You need to write a letter to the following address for a refund:

Assurant Solutions

ATTN: Circuit City Transfers

PO Box 105689

Atlanta, GA 30348-5689

What if a customer purchased products at one of the closing stores and the product needs service?

• For products covered under the Manufacturer’s Warranty, customers should call the manufacturer.

• For products covered under Circuit City Advantage®, guests can call the toll-free number that is printed on the bottom of the product receipt.

What if I purchased a product for which Circuit City is listed as the manufacturer and now the product is defective?

• For SENS TV and DVD Players, call 1.800.252.6123 or email [email protected].

• For Element TVs Model numbers FLX3280FHDH or FLX18511B, contact Hisense at 1.888.935.8880

• For all other Element TVs, contact Proview at 1.888.238.8123

• For all other Circuit City Private Label products covered under the Circuit City manufacturer’s warranty that was purchased in the United States or Puerto Rico prior to January 17, 2009, and is defective, Circuit City will no longer honor the terms of the warranty. Customers with a claim for coverage under Circuit City Private Label product warranty may file a claim on account of the warranty in the Company's bankruptcy. Proof of Claim forms and instructions with respect to completing such forms are available at www.kccllc.net/circuitcity.

What about products that are currently in for repairs with Circuit City...what will happen to them?

• Every product WILL be returned to the customer. We are in the process of contacting customers to let them know when and how the products will be returned. This process will take a few weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask customers to be patient.

• Depending on the type of product, different repair processes are used. For example, some products are repaired and serviced by their original manufacturer. Others are repaired in service centers; others are repaired by store technicians.

• Our goal is to complete as many repairs as possible, but, unfortunately, our bankruptcy liquidation means that some products currently in our possession will be returned to customers un-repaired. In those cases, we will provide an explanation on how to get the product repaired.

• Customers covered by Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans can rest assured the terms and conditions of their plans WILL be fulfilled, but our liquidation may result in some additional delay. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

I have a product in for repairs at Circuit City...how can if found out about the status of the repair?

• If the repair is underway based on a warranty contract purchased before December 1, 2006, call the following number: 1.800.286.0470.

• If the repair is underway based on a warranty contract purchased ON or AFTER December 1, 2006, please call: 1.800.878.1167.