7-port Bus Powered USB 2.0 Hub

Doesn't "bus-powered" mean it doesn't need an external power supply? :tongue1:

I thought they can be used either way - without the power adapter if you don't have any power-hungry devices attached or with if you do. At least the one I use is like that.

I thought they can be used either way - without the power adapter if you don't have any power-hungry devices attached or with if you do. At least the one I use is like that.

Which one do you have? Do you have either of the ones you posted?

Yep, that's what I was looking at too. Is that the best we can do at this time?

A big one is any type of drive.

I use a laptop hard drive in an external enclosure that uses USB power.

A usb memory key can be. As well as cameras (Digital or Webcam). But not always.

Most of the time, mice and keyboards and other peripherals of that nature will be fine on non-powered hubs.

The more devices you put on a hub... even if they are low power, the more drain you will put on that USB port.

That is why I say 7 is a lot for bus powered. Even if you only hook up mice and keyboards, the chance that some items will not work.

can you hook up older 1.1 USB devices as well as hi-speed USB 2 devices to any of these and have both work at their proper speeds, or do you need to buy something like the Belkin tetrahub (which someone had rec.) for the devices to work properly when mixing speeds? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ray,

Did you ever find a USB hub?

We were at Fry's B&M yesterday where I bought the Canon PIXMA MP750 All-in-One Photo Printer for $99 - $50 rebate = $50

I ran across their USB hubs and thought of you! After a little digging I found the Q-STOR USB2.0 7 PORT HUB for $29.99. Here is a link to the manufacturer's web site. It's not exactly a Hot Deal ($17.99 or less shipped) but at least we know this product exists.

Although it includes an AC adapter, it can be bus powered.

Hope that helps :g_thumpsu