"Some" Assemble Required. My Rant! Add yours if you like.

Scanner420

Don't ya just love Christmas. The kids wake-up you at 4am, out of a 2 hr sleep and want you to see what Santa brought them............more importantly.....they want you to put it together!

(Cue dramatic music)

Now I consider myself a pretty able guy when it come to assembling things. So when it was time to start the assembly of my daughters "Little Tykes" Wood Kitchen, I thought it would take me 2hrs max. Little did I know, the science project, that I started at breakfast, wouldn't be finished until dinner.

That's right folks, 8hr's later I finished my season in hell, that had all of the drama tossed in for good measure:

My DD crying that her kitchen isn't fixed yet, and she even helped my on two occasions, by carrying over the screw bin, that had the 25 different screws separated neatly and then proceeded to dump them on the floor.

A DW who kept asking every 30 minutes about my progress.

A FIL who took the pieces I had separated by letter and sub-division and proceeded to lump them together into piles, he "Thought" they belonged to.

A step-dad who corrected my FIL on a constant basis, filled in for me, when I had to chase my dog around the neighborhood for twenty minutes, and finished the base of the playset, only to have me knock the friggin' thing down because he "Forgot" to screw the #$%! thing together, which caused me to break it down and start completely over.

And that my DD took the handle to the microwave and walked around with it, using it as her "Phone" for a good part of the day and lost it in the abyss of wrapping paper, assorted trash and play-pig-pen that used to be my living room.

(breathe)

So.........that was the last thing I assembled for the day. I put my tools down after looking for another hour for that part and gave up on it!

That's it! I'm done! Rant's Over! Now where's my next project!

OOOoooooo! Goodie!! A Glitter and Dream Dollhouse with over 700 pieces!!

Keep the beers cold!

:beer:

OMG! That is hiliarious!!! My dad has always been the put it together man. My husband is NOT!

This year I put the toys together while DH sat in his lazy boy and played on the internet. Then he had the nerve to ask why I hadn't played with my new camera yet.

So here's to you 'little tykes wooden kitchen fixer man.' :beer:

We bought 3 computer desks, one for each kid. They have a nice shelf and cabinets. I have a cup of left over pieces my husband insists they dont need. He put them all together himself, as I would have made it worse! But it took him half the day to do, and then had the basketball hoop to put together as well! My most miserable project was the Polly Cruise Ship.

We learned that lesson years ago and dear boy, it was yours to learn this year....

Always open boxes before Christmas and assess how much damage can be done before the big moment to lessen the anxiety on the day.

I will never forget this lovely train track with truck and assorted other pieces that we purchased for my only child when he was a bit over 1. I believe pieces were missing and the darn thing never got together. Since son was only 1 he cared little but you can bet it was a lesson well learned for us.

Glad you had a frosty brew to keep your head sane.

No assembly required for us either--but I remember when..... We also learned our lesson from Jeff's dad's stories of Christmas morning....

Jeff's dad and best friend assembled a full size teeter-totter type toy in their living room during the night on Christmas Eve from Santa and then when they needed to move it outside the next morning, it wouldn't go through the sliding glass doors, they had to completely dissasemble it again and rebuild it outside again.

Knowing that story we tried to get easy to assemble items or paid for assembly! LOL.

OMG Scanner I feel your pain. We used to have assembly nightmares before Christmas too. My Mom taught me when I was a lot younger to assemble before Santa, so Santa delivers it assembled. Whe we had kids we just followed that.

All I did yesterday was set up DD's laptop, (after setting up DS' laptop on Sunday he got for his bday/xmas) then loading on all her cds (I mean all cds) on said laptop then syncing her Zune. Then onto DS computer to load his cds and sync to his Ipod touch. Of course he has done something to his laptop that is causing s problem, thank goodness my BIL is coming over today so he can check it out. I then had to set up DH Zune after he kept saying his Zune was not charging and wanting the receipt to return it. So after doing all the set up for everyone elses gifts I went to bed. No time for me to play my wii games or my ds games. So much for watching movies all day. Today I get to cook for my Sister and her family because they are coming over to do Xmas all over again.

Ahhh...funny story now that you mention the Zune...we bought the kids a new desktop with tons of memory for all of their music etc and we set it up a few weeks before Christmas. Well, dd has had a Zune for a while and it has had issues because of our old desktop. So, thinking of getting things ready for Christmas, I set up Zune on the new computer and then we put her Zune back and put the new computer away hidden in our closet. Well, since we hooked the Zune up to the new computer, it recognized that as its main computer and when dd attempted to sync her Zune, it gave her some grief. And apparently the new computer had a few "interesting" songs and pics on it too...so when Zune was hooked up to new computer, they downloaded on her Zune.

DH and I laughed about it for days that dd was so disgusted with her Zune! It magically had new pics and songs and not even ones she wanted!

So while pre-assembly is important, screwing things up ahead of time isn't good either!

We also preloaded a new video game on the new computer and it was with a company that my ds already has an account with...in the downloading and setting up, it sent emails to my ds that I had to intercept and remove. Funny how to keep a secret you do all sorts of devious acts!

We bought 3 computer desks, one for each kid. They have a nice shelf and cabinets. I have a cup of left over pieces my husband insists they dont need. He put them all together himself, as I would have made it worse! But it took him half the day to do, and then had the basketball hoop to put together as well! My most miserable project was the Polly Cruise Ship.

Several years ago we got all 5 of the grands a computer desk. After all but the oldest went to bed, 2 grandfathers and the oldest grandboy put all of them together. Good part - they had no left over items and those desks are going strong today.

I bought way to much this year and was way behind on my wrapping. Therefor nothing got put together before Christmas. Usually we do put some of it together.

We had company over all day yesterday. To many little kids to try to put anything together. Now my husband went to work today and the kids are bugging me to put stuff together. I dont want to do it. Not being home alone with three young ones. They will be into everythign every time i have to stop and get them something to eat or drink.

Usually my mom helps me put everything together. Hopefully she will be able to come over tomorrow.

I've had a similar problem, but instead of assembling a toy, it's activating a phone.

For Christmas this year, my Mom bought my Dad a new cell phone, and was going to have me activate it and transfer his old number. However, activating it was a hell in and of it's self; it didn't help that the website for the provider (Tracfone) went down while setting up the first time, and now that it's back up, it won't let me complete the transaction to have the phone number and minutes transferred from his old phone to his new one (I constantly get a "Please try again later or call Technical Support" message).

It looks like I might just have to call their customer support to finally get this taken care of...

My 6 year old DS wanted the Megabloks King arthur castle so bad for Christmas and begged santa for it even though it is for ages 8 and up. Well I got a great price on it on Amazon so Christmas eve night my husband and BIL were going to put it together. They said only 500 pieces - it would only take an hour or so. 5 hours later they were done. I went to bed laughing 2 hours into their ordeal. All I could think about was last Christmas when my DH was deployed and I was here alone with 2 kids having to put all the stuff together. I told them they need to start working now to get the 900+ piece Harry Potter Lego set I have stashed ready for next Christmas.

my dh has a rant too. almost everything the little kids got had to be put together and/or have batteries put in it. we started opening about 6 am and finally got to leave the house at 10:30 am with everything done but dh 3's smart cycle..which he did this morning. the rose petal cottage gave him all kinds of trouble lol at first dh did not realize it was 2 pieces. then it took us forever to figure out how to put the covers on it.

I bought my oldest 3 kids laptops and felt like I was in a classroom running from kid to kid getting their computers all set up. 2 of them had Norton in so I had to wipe that out because Comcast uses McAfee so we use that and get free updates. I had to set up their email accounts, get them online, show them how to do backgrounds, then of course everytime anything would pop-up they'd holler for me. The girls wanted to add all their online things to Club Penguin, Seapals, Neopets, Ty Girls, Ty Beanies 2.0. Then on to show them how to do 'My Playlist.com'.

DS13 loves his laptop & his new cell phone (Samsung Rant) but I think he is the most obsessed with the $10 Tony Hawk Proving Ground Wii game I bought him,lmao.