Happy Hanukkah! - starts sundown @ 12/21

conj

I am up early this morning, and starting to get excited about celebrating with friends and family!

we have a busy week, celebrating Hanukkah here, bringing our Menorah to our friends homes to celebrate with them, and celebrating Xmas with my in laws...

Gifts are a small part of the holiday. Family is much more important. Even if you are not Jewish, take some time to think about the holiday, and join with Millions of Jews around the world - fry something! enjoy family, and play a rousing game of Dreidel

Rules:

Game One

Materials:

1 Dreidel

A bunch of small items to act as counters. Raisins, pretzel sticks, M&M's, chocolate coins, beans.

Game Play:

· Divide the counters equally among the players.

· Every player contributes one counter into a central pile. This becomes the "pot."

· Players spin the dreidel in turn and contribute or collect items from the pot based upon which letter faces up when the dreidel stops its spin.

- Nun - Nisht - the player collects nothing from the pot.

- Gimmel - Gantz - the player gets it all.

- Hey - Halb - The player collects half of the pot.

- Shin - Shtel - The player sets one of his own items into the pot.

Winning:

The player who gains the most items wins.

** If you use food, the player who has not eaten their pile has a good chance of winning!

you can get a pattern to make your own here: http://crafts.holidays.net/view_craft.php?id=46

What is Hanukkah? I tried to find information on the internet but I'm not having much luck understanding it. I have found it has something to do with the soldiers fighting and that the temple was destroyed and there was only enough oil to burn one night but it burned 8 nights. Is this correct? I am catholic but my son was asking me what Hanukkah was and I didn't want to give him the wrong answer. Just wondering if someone could help me out. He is a very inquizitive child.:)

What is Hanukkah? I tried to find information on the internet but I'm not having much luck understanding it. I have found it has something to do with the soldiers fighting and that the temple was destroyed and there was only enough oil to burn one night but it burned 8 nights. Is this correct? I am catholic but my son was asking me what Hanukkah was and I didn't want to give him the wrong answer. Just wondering if someone could help me out. He is a very inquizitive child.:)

you got it. There is a flame that is ALWAYS burning in the temple, when the temple was destroyed, and reclaimed there was only enough oil for 1 day. It took 8 days to make oil. Miraculously it lasted 8 days, long enough for more oil to be made... so we eat things cooked in oil... latkes... doughnuts... whatever.

here is a quicky overview: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/faith/36460454.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsT