Need help with headset for cell phone

Rayny

I've read so much about the risks of using cell phones that I'd like to get my kids each a headset for their phones. My son has an enV and my daughter has the Voyager. I've been looking at them, but to be frankly honest, I have no idea what I need. I keep reading noise reduction, this feature, that feature, and on, and on.....

The only requirements really are that it be safer than a cell and that it have a pretty long battery life (my son spends a lot of time on his phone - my daughter, not so much). I guess clarity is also important, but I see no reason that they won't have their phone right there with them, so being able to extend a reach from 30 feet away (for example), isn't a requirement.

Adding the possibility of using it in the car might be a nice advantage too, but not a deal breaker. It's not like they'd be talking while driving anyway and if someone calls and they start messing around with trying to get a headset in place while driving, well at that point, I think I'd pull their licenses anyway. Still, if it's a bonus feature, it may come in handy at some point.

Anyone have any advice at all?

I just got a Voyager, and have not gone headset shopping... my concern is my small ears... and they look like they have a piece that fits *in* the ear, and if it is too big... well... not useful. The ipod earbuds are too big for me... I have adapters on them... and they still hurt after a while.

Looks like they are both Bluetooth capable. This would mean a wireless headset that they could just "wear".

I have a Blue Ant brand that I like very well. It is very small and also comes with ear clips so it can either fit in your ear (like ear buds) or sit on top of your ear. PLantronics and Motorola are both good brands.

I know that almost every cellphone that I have bought in the past several years came with a wired headset, but I haven't bought an LG brand. Are you sure that they don't have a wired headset already?

No, the LG phones do not come with a headset. I've had LG phones for over four years and none of them have come with a headset.

Look into getting them a bluetooth set. Motorola, Plantronics, and Scott had a cheap Jabra one in the Hot Deals forum. They fit over the ear, not in the ear.

Thank you all for the responses. My kids are pretty petite, so sizing of the ear pieces matters a lot and I wouldn't have even considered that.

As freesia has said, we didn't get headphones with ours either. I'm wondering, laddhorn, if when you purchase your phones, if it's not the retailer tossing in some freebies (headphones possibly being among them) for you to buy your phone thru them? When we've bought, we have gotten freebies, but we usually take the car chargers, carrying cases, etc... I don't recall headphones of any kind ever being an option and we too have had LGs for years; among other brands like Samsung as well. Since the freebies come from the retailer, they're always the same no matter what brand of phone we purchase.

I do think I"m going to look at the ones that have the earpiece for the outside of the ear rather than the earbuds.

Thanks again everyone.