Striking out with mlb.com - any advice on how to win?

lakerb

I recently ordered a Tampa Bay Rays T-shirt for my son on mlb.com. He wanted the last name GARZA on the back (as in Rays pitcher Matt Garza), which classifies it as "customized" even though we chose the name/number from a drop-down list of Rays players.

The shirt arrived about 2 sizes too small. They claim it's a boys 10-12, but it honestly is more like a 6-8. I found the sizing chart on mlb.com, and my son falls well within the range of the size they say this shirt should fit. The tag just has an "M" for medium. Once it goes through the washer/dryer, it would probably fit a small build-a-bear.

I've been on the phone with mlb.com 3 times, most recently with a supervisor. No matter how I explain the situation, they tell me that they do not take returns on "customized" items. In yesterday's conversation, they laid blame on the t-shirt manufacturer and said it's that company's policy and there's NOTHING they can do about it. They would not give me the name of someone I could speak with at the manufacturer or the mlb.com contact.

The bottom line is, they're telling me that I'm stuck with a $36.99 t-shirt that won't even go over my son's head because I must have ordered the wrong size and it's customized. No accountability, no recovery (other than offering me 25% off any item next time I shop there.... ha!). I even threatened to cancel 2 other pending mlb.com orders; he didn't budge.

I'm furious, hard-headed and determined to win. Has anyone gone through a similar situation? Any advice on the next steps I should take would really be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a couple more calls and pleading my case to anybody who would listen at mlb.com, I officially struck out.

They absolutely refused to budge on allowing me to return or exchange the T-shirt, even after I told them I would report their shoddy service and NEVER return to their site again. I guess $36 in their pocket means more to them than a loyal customer. Bah Humbug!!

Buyer beware at mlb.com! I, for one, won't be back!

P.S. We ended up giving the T-shirt as a Christmas gift to the little brother of my son's best friend, and he LOVES it! That's the good news. :D