looking for kitten for dauhter

sdgkicks111

I "adpoted" BOTH of my cats from Craigslist. Though you obviously have to be careful when picking an animal from ANYWHERE, I have been extremely happy with my cats (got them a year apart). I understand "supporting the humane society" etc, which is why I found it a good Idea to adopt my cats on CL.. it stopped yet two more animals from ending up at the already overworked humane society or shelter.

I got two dogs from local humane society, both had whooping cough(treated by antibotics, there is also a vaccine) Going to the humane society and paying the $45 adoption fee, your pet is already spayed or neutered, and current on vaccines. But do not give the whooping vaccine. So its very likely your pet will have whooping cough, resulting in taking to vet to get medicine to treat it. So for me its not cheaper. I look at newspaper for the free pet I want. Go to the local farm and supply store like mfa. Get the vacines it will need, wormer(very important), supplies it will need, and keep in my barn for at least a week before letting it come inside the house to stay. hope this helps

I would highly recommend your local humane society. Ours always has so many cats and kittens.

We got our dog from our local humane society. She was spayed, micro chipped, and vaccinated. They also did temperament testing to help recommend the ideal family for their pets. We also got a free vet visit and a decrease on the cost of obedience training. We love our Maggie May and have been back to the humane society several times looking for a second dog. We always look longingly at the cat room. It is so full of cats and we wish we could take one or two home. But my husband is highly allergic to cats. Ours occasionally have a buy one get one free deal because they have so many they are trying to place.

Edited by JollyGG

Wow, your shelters are so much better than mine here! We just adopted the most adorable kitten but we had to pay for his neutering and shots. Also he picked up ring worm at the shelter and we're out about $200 so far in treating that! We didn't know he had it since it takes a couple weeks to show up. What a mess! I'm glad we kept him away from our other cat when we first brought him home.

PLEASE ONLY USE AN AMIMAL SHELTER - so many of them are put to sleep everyday, you would be saving his/her life! And I know the one near me let me pick up on Christmas Eve. Just go sooner and make sure you get through the wait time. They may check for Vet references so bring that information with you.

Also it is nice to see what donations they might need. Sometimes it is blankets and towels that you may of just been throwing out anyway.

Proud owner of Frankie Adopted on December 24th 2003 from Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees , New Jersey.

I'm with everyone else. Local shelter or rescue group is the only way to go. So many animals need homes, I am sure the right one is waiting for you.

But I must ask... how old is your daughter? Is she old enough to take responsibility for the kitten, or are you going to do it? While cats are easier than dogs to care for, there are issues that may arise. Peeing outside the litter box, scratching furniture, clipping nails, brushing fur, etc. Pleae do your research before you get any animal. Why the love they give back is immeasurable, you need to be a deicated pet owner.

And remember the only safe cat is an indoor one!

we have had great luck with the animal shelter here. I would make sure to get a kitten that loves kids. We actually brought our daughter to look at kittens with us, and I was about to get one, but there was one that would let her hug him, and he just sat there, so we got him, and he has been great!

we have had great luck with the animal shelter here. I would make sure to get a kitten that loves kids. We actually brought our daughter to look at kittens with us, and I was about to get one, but there was one that would let her hug him, and he just sat there, so we got him, and he has been great!

This is so true. I always believe the cat/kitten picks YOU not the other way around. Both times I adopted it worked out that way. :)

I agree too - I think that the pet picks you. They know if they want to be part of your family. When we adopted Frankie he was the puppy that took to my son. He was all over him and they both Lit up. Other puppys came to him but this one insisted on being on his lap the whole time and they are close to this day.

You just know, I guess that is what I am saying.

I adopted my two cats 18 wonderful years ago - one from the "Pennysaver" newspaper and one from Animal Friends, a no kill shelter (he was estimated to be one year at that time). They are both indoor/outdoor cats (in when they want and out when they want). Last August I got a kitty for my mother that I found on Craigslist. My mom wanted an all white kitten all of her life and none of our shelters had one. I'm not sure exactly where I stand on the "only indoor" cat thing. I guess it just depends on where you live and be sure they are always up on their immunizations & spay/neuter.

IF you adopt from a shelter, make sure your adopting from a NO KILL shelter, I made the mistake of not knowing and supporting our humane society and later finding out they do kill the animals there if they're not adoptable or adopted out, never again will I support them... www.petfinder.com you can find a lot of cats there from lots of different shelters.

I agree too - I think that the pet picks you. They know if they want to be part of your family. When we adopted Frankie he was the puppy that took to my son. He was all over him and they both Lit up. Other puppys came to him but this one insisted on being on his lap the whole time and they are close to this day.

You just know, I guess that is what I am saying.

Yeah, my when we went to the shelter 17 years ago, I did not want an orange tabby. I found a grey kitten I was interested in. It was a shy kitten, so my wife called all the kittens (about 6 of them) to one side of the cage. I reached into the back side, to get the grey kitten, when this orange tabby ran up my arm onto my shoulder. Needless to say, I signed the paperwork for the orange tabby as he sat on my shoulder. That cat was awesome! After Katrina, he was diagnosed with cancer, which we had removed 5 times, but when it was time to do it again, we realized it had made it into his stomach, so we had to put him to sleep. This time, I'm glad we let our daughter choose, she grew attached to Lewie (our old cat), and she had been wanting a new cat for the past year.

I love the fact that we adopted our cat Grace (my avitar!). It just makes me feel so great that I know I truly saved her life - somedays I swear she does the same for me. I think it's a good thing to instill in a child as well. I think taking her to the shelter or foster home would be a good idea. Letting her pick her pet (with help) wouldn't ruin a Christmas surprise at all. I think it would be more of a bond that she got to help choose. My aunt also adoped a cat from a shelter. They determined he was about 3 and he is the most loving cat. They decided against a baby because the young adults get passed by so often. The great thing about a slightly older cat is you truly know their personality where as a baby changes. I also had a cat that I got at about 1 1/2 yrs old. He's sadly passed on now but I never knew anybody with a boy like he was! So I tell you not to completly count out a young adult either. I think "second chance" animals make the best pets - they know some how what you've given them and they love you that much more for it.

I got my last kitten off Craig's list after my old cat died--although I have a lot of cats, his death just really hurt us. I looked through the ads for weeks, my only perogatives being that the kitten was a rescue, and alone. (kittens should have other kittens) I would adopt from a local shelter, but I don't know if they would adopt to me as I have 13 cats...Well, someone put a kitten on that someone else had found by himself in a field, that they were bottlefeeding and couldn't keep him as they had 3 cats in an apt. I figured, I'm great at socializing and willing to do the every 2 hour bottle feed and got myself my boy Harvey. I put him on my vets kitten plan ($120 something) and got him fixed for only $40 at a local agency. All I can say is he is so very loved-- but boy this kid was some work. Because he was separated from mom and siblings so early with no other kittens to play with, he was very play aggressive, but the other cats "worked with him" lol on that and we just had to be very careful about not (husband rahhh) playing with him with our hands and well...playing with him a lot. I also was pushed farther into the idea of getting him when some young girl respnded to the ad saying her roommate had 2 female cats that were very maternal (double raaahhh) and she wanted him...I adore my feline companions but I'll tell ya right now--none of my 13 are "maternal" for chrissakes, they are not human. Just sounded like she didn't know a fig about cats and taking care of a baby that young takes a lot of knowledge and work. BUT adopting from your local humane society or animal shelter is ideal, don't let people scare you with stories of sickness, most shelters are very well run and you get so much with your adoption fee-- it is incredible the bargain it is. Also if your daughter is very young (5 or younger) a kitten might not be the best idea, at least get an older kitten. I have found longer haired cats tend to be more mellow, but those short haired black cats seem to be an exception--very loving in all of my experiences. Tabby's seem to have all around great temperment too. The kitten in my avatar is Harvey, named after Jimmy Stewart's big invisible bunny, and this was his picture on Craigs list. Isn't he cute? He looked like a gorilla at that point lol. Edited by 50sjayne

I also recommend going to your local shelter. It will be more costly than getting a free kitten from the newspaper, but it will come with all it's shots, and spayed/neutered. We adopted our cat "Seamus Finnegan" from the local shelter and he is the most amazing cat ever. Our shelter has a website with pictures so you can check out all the animals they have before you get there, and fill out the paperwork online so it is much faster to adopt. HTH.

Kittens in our area are everywhere. There are fliers in grocery stores and vet offices. I myself just posted an ad for a beagle puppy I had to sell. It was gone in 30 minutes. When I wanteed a puppy 3 months ago, I searched petfinder for weeks and they were all older dogs.They wanted 2 or 300 dollars for a furry puppy in our area no matter what kind it was. I will never again adipt an older dog who is set in his ways. I have too many grandchildren in my home to be concerned with. I bought my puppy from an Amish breeder and he had a USDA approved vaccination schedule a health certificate and Is the most loving animal I"ve ever owned. I may have been supporting puppy farms, but I look at it as I saved his life. Kittens are everywhere, my neighbor currently has 15 assorted kittens. We live in a rural area and it is common.

Six of our seven cats are rescue cats. Just the Himalayan was a "purchase".

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/signature4yh.jpg

We even have three boys from the same litter (adopted as kittens), then six months later, when the mother hadn't been placed yet, we took her...

Funny...I just got thinking....I have never had to find/adopt any cats. They have always found me!!:D:D:D Guess they know, I can't resist!!

Us too :). I found my first kitty in the gutter, between the median of a very busy road. She was so scared :(. She passed away two years ago from heart complications during labor). Our second kitty was apparentely bieng offered for free from some people outside of a local hospital. My dh was leaving the hospital and heard meowing coming from inside a box and there she was, all alone. I guess the people who had that litter didn't want to wait any longer for someone to take her so they just packed up and left her there with a "free sign" :mad:. I definately agree either a local shelter, rescue group, or even a vet office (they usually have billboards up for people to post on).

One of my cat's is a rescue cat as well. We adopted her when she was two years old in July 07. I found her on petfinder.com. She came from a local no-kill rescue that fosters cats in regular homes until they're adopted. She was up to date with shots and already spayed. We got her for a "bargain" of $50 because she was an adult (kittens were $75). We're absolutely crazy about her. We also have a 17 year old cat that we took in as a stray when he was a kitten. He's almost human.