need help on the bluray player deal ASAP

styl3s

Walmart - Magnavox Blu-ray Player

* Plays Blu-ray movies in 1080p

* Upconverts and plays basic DVD to 1080p high-def

* HDMI output for best picture and sound quality

My question is, do i HAVE to have a 1080p tv to play it? i know some bluray players only output 1080p and my tv is only 720p/1080i

no player comes with a cable - try online (ebay, etc). I have gotten 3 cables on ebay and never paid over $10 (and one cable is 12 ft)

I just bought a sony bluray, and my tv is only 720, and don't have a problem. I don't think it matters. I think you could even hook it up without hdmi to a regular tv and it would work.

If you really want a good price on HDMI cables, go to monoprice.com. They are good quality. I have purchased a 25' and 3 6' cables from there and have had no problems.

With regard to the Blu-ray player, I have read reviews on this model. It is supposed to have very near the picture quality of the PS3 and the upper tier Blu-ray players. It does have an ethernet port for firmware upgrade. However, this unit may never be upgradeable to the 2.0 spec that is eventually going to be the Blu-ray standard. Expect this unit to play any movie now and in the future with firmware upgrades, but there is now and will be many more discs out there that have special features that this unit will never be able to play with any upgrade.

There is an outside chance that this is incorrect and it will be able to upgrade to the 2.0 spec, but I don't think the manufacturer has ever said it could be done. I for one don't care because I only watch the movie or the movie trailer anyway. Of course the special features are supposed to get better and better.

I've had the PS3, and I would prefer a standard unit to play my movies. I'm going to try to get this player because it plays movies near the quality of the most expensive players for a very cheap price. That is all I care about anyway. Hope that info help!