Conspicuous Absence of Certain Items

khall1971

I am really surprised there's not one BF ad with a Microsoft Zune on sale. Seriously. Not even at regular price with a gift card crumb thrown in, like you get with Apple products and game consoles. Another thing I'm amazed I haven't seen is any $150 laptops, like in previous years--the lowest prices seem to be around $399.

Anyone else surprised not to see something?

As for the Zunes, the only thing I can think of is that the profit margins for the current models are so low that the stores can't really afford to give anything extra away with them. Last year everyone had that brown model on sale because it was being discontinued.

And as for the laptops, I was expecting some of the netbooks to be in the $149-199 range, but very few stores even have one in their ad, much less more. I'm guessing they may not have been able to get the quantity needed for a huge nationwide sale, or they couldn't get the manufacturers to make them an exclusive SKU model like they do for a lot of the regular laptops. The companies that usually have the cheap BF laptops (Compaq/HP, Toshiba), don't really make netbook models that could get down in price that low.

*Cough* Get an iPod!!! *Cough*

;)

The iPod is 20x better!

I don't like iPods, sorry. I'm replacing a much-beloved Toshiba Gigabeat with a 60 GB HDD that I lost in a fire, and the Zune is about the same price as it--but with 120 GBs. It has about the same architecture as the Gigabeat, which I like and am used to.

As for the Zunes, the only thing I can think of is that the profit margins for the current models are so low that the stores can't really afford to give anything extra away with them.

I thought they didn't worry about profit margins on loss leaders, lol. ;) I agree with your assessment on the laptops/netbooks, tho.

Yep, I was looking to find a Zune this BF, but no hope. iPods are complete crap and overpriced for the features they provide. Why would I pay for an iPod when I can buy a Zune and get more features for the same price...

:shock::( That makes me... a true Apple Fan and stock holder sad. :( I have an iPhone, iPod, and almost every Mac they have ever come out with. Can't go wrong with an iPod. Plus, they still have 75% of the market! :) GO APPLE! :smart:

I am really surprised there's not one BF ad with a Microsoft Zune on sale. Seriously. Not even at regular price with a gift card crumb thrown in, like you get with Apple products and game consoles. Another thing I'm amazed I haven't seen is any $150 laptops, like in previous years--the lowest prices seem to be around $399.

My 1st thought is they are not as popular this year as they were the previous year and there's no more hype around them, hence they would not bring in the crowds if offered as door busters and/or big sale items. I'm myself in the market for toys and was curious to see not a single Elmo Live in any of the ads.

My 1st thought is they are not as popular this year as they were the previous year and there's no more hype around them, hence they would not bring in the crowds if offered as door busters and/or big sale items. I'm myself in the market for toys and was curious to see not a single Elmo Live in any of the ads.

Actually the reason why the Zune 30 was a BF sale item was because they DIDN'T sell well. Microsoft had warehouses filled to the brim with them. Funny though, AFTER BF the Zune 30 became the hottest sought after electronic device after the Wii. I had quite a task of helping friends and family find 30s.

*Cough* Get an iPod!!! *Cough*

;)

The iPod is 20x better!

Ummm, no. Depending upon what is important to you, the Zune might be far superior. Especially with the new Zune Pass subscription service. $15 a month gets you access to over 4 million tracks which you can download as much as you like. Up to 3 Zunes on 3 different computers can share a single account. Add to that, you get 10 free tracks each month to download and keep in DRM-free MP3 format. At $0.99 a track, that is like paying only $5 a month. So not only do you get to explore different music, but you get to select tracks to keep each month thereby growing your own personal collection.

on the laptop note don't forget walmart for the last few years has had laptops on sale in store that were not in the ad. My DH found one last year much cheaper than the ones advertised, and when we asked a sales associate, they said, they have "secret sales" you have to come in to know about..

At this point, I've scoured all the ad scans, and am now highly anticipating going out and getting the paper copies on Wednesday to see the differences. Maybe there will be some laptop deals there.

Most ads come out on Thursday- I'm not saying yours don't, but I used to get mixed up every year and get Wednesday's paper.

For those of you looking for a deal on a Zune, have you seen the Hotter than BF: 4GB Zune for $86 shipped! 8GB for $112 shipped! thread in Online Deals?

I got $50 off a 120BG Zune last week... $214 shipped from Dell.

It's the only Zune deal I've seen. Check it out!:D

ETA: It looks like amazon.com has the same deal on the 4 and 8GB Zunes for "early BF" (BF deal available now).

Edited by lakerb

I know it is sad and all that this is my first thing to mention missing, but I want Walgreens to have their GIANT Hershey bars for $.50 again! I have gotten those every year for stocking stuffers. Not a big price I know, I mean WalMart has them now for $1.25 but that got me in Walgreens and I always ended up buying other things!

I was thinking there may be some promo on Wii things, like accessories. And while there have been several sales on Coats I have not seen any boots or snowpants. With 4 boys, these things are what I am looking for.

I know it is sad and all that this is my first thing to mention missing, but I want Walgreens to have their GIANT Hershey bars for $.50 again! I have gotten those every year for stocking stuffers. Not a big price I know, I mean WalMart has them now for $1.25 but that got me in Walgreens and I always ended up buying other things!

I was thinking there may be some promo on Wii things, like accessories. And while there have been several sales on Coats I have not seen any boots or snowpants. With 4 boys, these things are what I am looking for.

At CVs they will be $1, with $1 ECB, making them free :D

:shock::( That makes me... a true Apple Fan and stock holder sad. :( I have an iPhone, iPod, and almost every Mac they have ever come out with. Can't go wrong with an iPod. Plus, they still have 75% of the market! :) GO APPLE! :smart:

Let me know when Apple starts updating the firmware of their older iPods to have the same features as the new iPods. Microsoft already does that, yes that Micro$oft.

I'm surprised there is NOTHING Free. Maybe a gift card to the first 100 people, or a snow globe. But NO opportunities to stock up on free stuff at the office stores or Radio Shack as in past years.