Anyone staging their xmas card pics?

dmmiller

Twoyears ago we took pics of the kids holding a wreath on the foundation to our house. Last year we took a picture of them on the porch of the house. This year we are takig one with them outside with the dogs and the house in the backgtround since everyone wants to see what the house looks like.

About five years ago, I had a great shot of my two oldesnt, then 3 and 1 1/2, looking out of the widow and up at the sky as it snowed. My DD was sitting in my DS' lap and they both were looking at the falling snow. I went outside and had the perfect lighting with the snow falling and a small amount of snow under the window, and snapped a great Christmas Card.

When we just had my oldest, we decorated his Little Tikes Log Cabin (indoor toy at the time) and took his pic by that.

Usually, I just get a casual pic of the boys. One year it was a pic from our Disney trip in October. Another year, it was my 2 oldest in their football uniforms (same team...that was so nice only dealing with one practice schedule!) and my 7 year old (4 at the time) in a team t-shirt and green hair gel looking like a huge fan after one of their games. Two years ago, we took the pic at a Christmas party we went to. Santa was already gone so my oldest held the baby in Santa's chair and the other 2 stood next to him.

About five years ago, I had a great shot of my two oldesnt, then 3 and 1 1/2, looking out of the widow and up at the sky as it snowed. My DD was sitting in my DS' lap and they both were looking at the falling snow. I went outside and had the perfect lighting with the snow falling and a small amount of snow under the window, and snapped a great Christmas Card.

Aww, that sounds amazing. :) I bet it was a sweet shot.

Oh good. You guys can help me decide. I am trying to decide what pictures to use for ours.

What do you think? Thanks!

While I absolutely love all the pictures... You can totally see the joy in your dd's face in the 2nd set. That's the set I'd pick. The first set I'd maybe print out a few and give to grandparents and aunts/uncles for their wallets.

Two years ago, after the first snowfall, I took the kids out to play. (three of them at the time, 5-4-2). We built a small snowman on the side of the steps facing the street and the three of them sat next to it on the steps going up to the porch and I got another picture, for christmas that year.

Being a military family we try to get creative. Two years ago we were in Wichita Falls, TX. We took the girls out to a park by the falls and took their picture on a bridge. Last year we were in Phoenix so we wrapped Christmas lights around a cactus and took our pic with the mountains in the background. This year we are in Italy so we are planning on going to Venice and taking our pic there. We are still debating between a gondule or just a cool part of the city.

We aren't staging for Christmas cards but we are having our picture taken in December. We are going to Fort Worth to see The Nutcracker at Bass Hall. My SIL is a photographer and she is meeting us at our hotel and will be staging some photos for us. I really wanted more pics of DH and I together before this visit to the sandbox. I'm soooo greatful that she offered her services! We will have pics taken at several locations in Sundance Square. I'm very excited!

:rwb:

Since my parents live on a farm, this year all us siblings (ages from 12-22) are taking the Christmas picture in front of an old barn. We are going to stand in front of the sliding red door and since we just painted it last summer it'll look like a mix of old with new.

I took my girls to the sears heardware deptment, stood them in front of the trees for sale, and took a pic. LOL. I like to get my cards done early because I usually save money, but I never have my tree or any decorations up yet.

LOL

Did you get any weird looks?

Sounds like a good idea.. I probably wont get my tree up for another week or so,

and i'm wanting to get these done soon.

How about giant furniture? There is an enormous (11 feet tall, 670 lbs.) walnut rocking chair at the furniture shop in West Amana, Iowa. A family of eight could easily sit on the seat...the footstool is enormous. Visitors are welcome to sit in it and take pictures.

Great snap!

The Von Maur store at the mall has a really nice set up with a decorated tree, sleigh and fake wrapped gifts. I've been taking DD's picture there for years. I just have to be careful not to get the escalator in the picture;)

Lots of people do this, so I rarely get strange looks.

The Von Maur store at the mall has a really nice set up with a decorated tree, sleigh and fake wrapped gifts. I've been taking DD's picture there for years. I just have to be careful not to get the escalator in the picture;)

Lots of people do this, so I rarely get strange looks.

I have tried to do this 2-3 times at my mall--it worked once and I loved the pics but, not going to try it again because:

1-people have no "photo-courtesy" in my area. Apparently they don't understand why you are holding a camera and saying CHEESE, they just walk right infront of you.

2-Boy did we get the looks.

3-Rowdy people distract the kids alot...

But if you are able to do it--it is a great idea! The tree makes an excellent background.

The overhead lighting is usually great, and the mall trees are usually up before you get your own tree up and decorated so you can get the pics taken and ready for the cards faster!

I want to take my kids pics within the next week, wish me luck. ;)

We're a military family too and will get creative this year as well. Last year we all sat in front of the Christmas tree(DH and I are in the pictures too. Not just the kids :) ). This year we're thinking either standing in front of the mountains here, a tank, helicopter, something different.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, well I finally got the kids to sit down individually and get some pics done.

I'm going to use the cards from cosco where it has 3 slots for 3 different pics to use.

That way I just eliminated the fighting and bickering and also the bunny fingers from the shot. :)