Holiday Angels

childofsolitude

My family has been doing the sharing tree since I can remember, since my mom is a social worker she got my older sister and I involved when we were little. Its now a tradition and I realized last BF while waiting for Target to open that the table for the sharing tree was already out. We figure this year we will get a card early and then possibly get what is needed on BF since its on sale we can get more cards for the same amount we've previously spent!

my kids are older and dont believe anymore so last year they were misbehaving so i made them go with me to the salvation army giving tree see how many names where on it and told them how many kids wouldnt be having a nice x-mas but we weould be then we decided to pull a name off the tree for each kid and go and shop for them. each kid had to pick someone their own age and gender and shop..after this they felt better about seeing all the kids and actually started behaving better. I will do this again with them. sometimes children can get alittle selfish and this is a good way to show them true human compassion

I have done Angel tree in past years, but this is the best suggestion yet. Not because of misbehaved children but it is a humbling experience for the kids. I helps give that much needed reality check that is sometimes needed with spoiled children. Also with the economy the way it is, I am so sure there will be more kids than ever on those trees this year. My family will each grab an angel of choice from the tree and purchase holiday gifts for them. This is definitely what Christmas is about. Thanks!

even if your children believe - you can let them know you are helping Santa... as most kids get presents from there parent's too, and these kids might not... Santa trys to concentrate on kids gifts... so your helping give the moms and dads presents they can give their kids...

• 2 weeks later...
We've done the Angel tree things for years and I have my DS9 and DS6 help so that they understand giving to those that aren't as fortunate as they are. However, the other day at work (school) we got 2 calls from people looking to get their kids names on lists for Christmas...after a little investigation (part of my job) I learned they were already on the list for the Angel Tree with DSS and at a local church. This really makes me cynical...why should they have people donating to them from several organizations while I work full time and scrimp and save and shop sales to buy for them and my own...I know, sounds scroogy, but I think I'm going with the elderly idea this year....what a neat idea. I know from my husband whose job takes him to retirement facilities that many of those people don't have families. I think we'll be visiting them and taking them gifts or Christmas dinner this year. Am I being ugly?

We've done the Angel tree things for years and I have my DS9 and DS6 help so that they understand giving to those that aren't as fortunate as they are. However, the other day at work (school) we got 2 calls from people looking to get their kids names on lists for Christmas...after a little investigation (part of my job) I learned they were already on the list for the Angel Tree with DSS and at a local church. This really makes me cynical...why should they have people donating to them from several organizations while I work full time and scrimp and save and shop sales to buy for them and my own...I know, sounds scroogy, but I think I'm going with the elderly idea this year....what a neat idea. I know from my husband whose job takes him to retirement facilities that many of those people don't have families. I think we'll be visiting them and taking them gifts or Christmas dinner this year. Am I being ugly?

You're not being ugly, I agree with much of what you said. I feel that the kids are the ones that people always seem to want to take care of first and the elderly with no family or the ones that can barely afford to buy food for themselves are more worthy, or at least just as worthy, so its nice to see others helping out them as well.

I worked for a group once where I saw some of the actual angel requests that were put out. A lot of them do ask for things like winter coats, mittens, small toys, etc. however there were also the ones who had the nerve to ask for expensive items like playstations, hugely popular or expensive toys or big items like play kitchens or something that are really hard to send or lug. So, yes, I do find myself a bit cynical as well. I have just seen too many people try to take advantage of the situation. So, as I said in an earlier post, the elderly and the animal shelters are my priority this year.

Years ago we were given the gift of 4 extra children( parents just could'nt handle them all) we struggled and recieved a kind of "Angel" help. After that we started having all 8 children pick an angel and we chose 2 adult angels,the kids could'nt believe an "angel " wanted shoes or a blanket or hats and gloves for a gift.The experience had tought them alot, the shopping trips became a family outting we all love. Now most of them have started families of their own and they continue the tradition. Our school district does Angel trees so thats where we go. it feels kinda nice to really know the gifts are staying close to home.

You're not being ugly. Unfortunatley, there will always be those that look to take advantage. They are not supposed to register for more than one organization. I do the angel tree every year and my kids like to help shop for the angel. I get a child and 2 years ago started getting an elderly angel in honor of my grandma who had passed away. With the child, I look for the ones not taking advantage. The one who's asking for a coat and some sheets or clothes and a barbie. The ones asking for a Wii or PS3 turn me off. It's not scroogy to want to give to the ones who truly need help instead of the ones looking to see how much they can get.

We have a medicare facility here in my town theres around 100 elders there, my family makes cookies and treats to take in usually some cookies fruit, they usually have activities going on so i make the treats, but thanks to you i now have other ideas to give out trinkets to the ones who dont have any family there going there.

You're not being ugly, I agree with much of what you said. I feel that the kids are the ones that people always seem to want to take care of first and the elderly with no family or the ones that can barely afford to buy food for themselves are more worthy, or at least just as worthy, so its nice to see others helping out them as well.

I worked for a group once where I saw some of the actual angel requests that were put out. A lot of them do ask for things like winter coats, mittens, small toys, etc. however there were also the ones who had the nerve to ask for expensive items like playstations, hugely popular or expensive toys or big items like play kitchens or something that are really hard to send or lug. So, yes, I do find myself a bit cynical as well. I have just seen too many people try to take advantage of the situation. So, as I said in an earlier post, the elderly and the animal shelters are my priority this year.

I agree. My friend's niece is on the Holiday Angels list and when I told my friend about this, she was shocked because it's not like her family is poor and can't afford gifts for her. I just wish there could be a way of picking out the ones who really are in need. Last year, I noticed quite a few kids asking for expensive gifts. The two children I chose asked for clothes and inexpensive toys. One child on my sister's (the social worker) list asked for Nintendo DS games and I told my sister that I thought it was wrong to ask for such expensive things. She told me that the girl was 12 years old and tried to kill herself half a dozen times. And another 15 year old boy on her list asked for underwear, deoderant, and other toiletries like that. See, I'd immediately go for a kid like that but my sister told me that the kid is in jail.

I'm probably still going to participate in this program this year but I'll try to look into other programs as well. Or I'll just donate to Toys for Tots. We'll see.

I agree. My friend's niece is on the Holiday Angels list and when I told my friend about this, she was shocked because it's not like her family is poor and can't afford gifts for her. I just wish there could be a way of picking out the ones who really are in need. Last year, I noticed quite a few kids asking for expensive gifts. The two children I chose asked for clothes and inexpensive toys. One child on my sister's (the social worker) list asked for Nintendo DS games and I told my sister that I thought it was wrong to ask for such expensive things. She told me that the girl was 12 years old and tried to kill herself half a dozen times. And another 15 year old boy on her list asked for underwear, deoderant, and other toiletries like that. See, I'd immediately go for a kid like that but my sister told me that the kid is in jail.

I'm probably still going to participate in this program this year but I'll try to look into other programs as well. Or I'll just donate to Toys for Tots. We'll see.

wow, you just can't tell by looking

I know that my opinion will not be one that everyone will want to hear, But as far as children's wishes why shouldnt a child ask for what they want, Do your children want underware, sock and such for Christmas ? Why shouldnt they want what other children want ? Being poor and parents needing help is one thing, But they are still children who want what every other child wants.

I see nothing wrong with a DS or a playstation or games on their list for older children I see that as normal. Popular toys yes they want them as does every other child,

I also work with the elderly with Santa for a Senior and I will tell you these grown-ups are 10 x worse then little kids, I have complaints every year on what they get, Or I hear why did she get this and I get that. So please dont think the elderly are any better, I had one a couple yeras ago put a car, another put a couch, so these forms ask for their wants not thier needs

My husbands Volunteer fire dept. gets all the angels in our area and last year the day before the "cut off date" we got all the ones that were left in our county we are they only fire dept that does over 3 we all get together the night before the cut off day and go to walmart each firemans family gets 3-5 kids to buy for we spend $200 on each child we love doing this and the community appreciates it as well! WE started a thing last year to try to get more fire depts. to do it but they couldn't get the grant money from the state? so they said...

I think this is going to be a big "need" this year. Our local city coordinator said the amount is ALREADY doubled, and it is a month away from the application cutoff. A few comments have been made in our area that people are getting on the list, who don't really need it. And the ones who do, never ask. I am ready for our donations to "toys for tots", and I am hoping to get a stock pile of "bath and body works" stuff for the teen girls. I am not coming up with many ideas for the teen boys yet. Someone else donates a book for each child. They shop for a coat, toothbrush, and a huge box of food per family.

I did the Angel tree last year. I picked a boy that would have been my first child's age that passed away. The Angel tree helped heal me a little from his death. I plan on doing the Angel tree again this year for a 4 year boy. Maybe it will help me heal a little more this year too.

Thank you for sharing....

When I lived up north, I usually gave to Coats for Kids and I sometimes got a child from the angel tree, too, but I couldn't always.

This year and last year, I've "adopted' a family from our school. If your area doesn't have an angel tree, try calling your local school and seeing from the counselor what children are in need of. My daddy always used to "adopt" high schoolers because people forget about them.

I like the idea about the elderly, too.

I understand you completely!! We stopped doing Angel Trees and stuff like that after hearing a mother brag about how she got around $800 worth of stuff for EACH of her 3 children by playing the system. They did every program in the county...one of which gave the kids $200 gift cards to buy whatever they wanted. While I know they're probably an exception, It really soured my take on the whole thing and now we do the elderly boxes thru the Senior Center.

We do an Angel Tree thing through our church. It goes specifically to children of prisoners, and the prisoners put on the form what gift they want their child to receive. So last year we picked out four kids and they all had asked for reasonable items (basketball, dolls, spiderman stuff, etc). I didn't see any requests on the tree for anything outrageous, I think the most expensive item would have been an mp3 player and I *almost* picked that girl, but DH wanted another boy. I guess my opinion is that they can ask for whatever they want, but they run the risk of not getting their choice, or not getting chosen at all.

This year we're only doing one Angel Tree kid because we're doing some giving in other areas. I say that now like it will really happen that way. LOL I know that once that tree comes out I'll be itching to buy more stuff! These kids are usually one of the major reasons I'm out shopping on BF at all!

I wish our church had a tree for the elderly in nursing homes, too. Maybe I'll call up one of the local ones here in a bit and see what they might need.

I know that my opinion will not be one that everyone will want to hear, But as far as children's wishes why shouldnt a child ask for what they want, Do your children want underware, sock and such for Christmas ? Why shouldnt they want what other children want ? Being poor and parents needing help is one thing, But they are still children who want what every other child wants.

I see nothing wrong with a DS or a playstation or games on their list for older children I see that as normal. Popular toys yes they want them as does every other child,

I also work with the elderly with Santa for a Senior and I will tell you these grown-ups are 10 x worse then little kids, I have complaints every year on what they get, Or I hear why did she get this and I get that. So please dont think the elderly are any better, I had one a couple yeras ago put a car, another put a couch, so these forms ask for their wants not thier needs

Well, I'll give you my opinion at least. Most of these kids are not just given a peice of paper and pencil and told to write their complete christmas list for the tree. Parents have to be involved, in order to write down the needs, sizes, etc. of the child and should look over the things their kids list. I dont believe that a child knows the difference and to have some common courtesy and not ask a stranger who is buying stuff for you to have a good Christmas for expensive things, however a parent should! There is no way I would ever let my child ask for something expensive from a stranger if I was ever in the position to be needy. Its just rude, IMHO. And on the other hand, I dont believe that kids should be forced to only list cheap crap that no kid would want, however when it comes to listing only the expensive things and their parents allow it, it does too far and infringes on taking advantage of those nice enough to help.

Well, I'll give you my opinion at least. Most of these kids are not just given a peice of paper and pencil and told to write their complete christmas list for the tree. Parents have to be involved, in order to write down the needs, sizes, etc. of the child and should look over the things their kids list. I dont believe that a child knows the difference and to have some common courtesy and not ask a stranger who is buying stuff for you to have a good Christmas for expensive things, however a parent should! There is no way I would ever let my child ask for something expensive from a stranger if I was ever in the position to be needy. Its just rude, IMHO. And on the other hand, I dont believe that kids should be forced to only list cheap crap that no kid would want, however when it comes to listing only the expensive things and their parents allow it, it does too far and infringes on taking advantage of those nice enough to help.

I don't need any ones opinions, I have been involved with several Angel Trees, ( Never had Children on it ) I have been on the inside of toys for Tots, I have also help in the community.

In this area you can only sign up for one giving program, So if you do an angel tree, you do not get to sign up for Toys for Tots. In my OPINION people look at these list and say oh he or she wants an I-pod I better not pick her or him, But I will tell you a an inexpensive MP3 would still bring a smile to a child's face. Christmas just brings out the skeptics in people.

Edited by Illinoismom

I don't need any ones opinions, I have been involved with several Angel Trees, ( Never had Children on it ) I have been on the inside of toys for Tots, I have also help in the community.

In this area you can only sign up for one giving program, So if you do an angel tree, you do not get to sign up for Toys for Tots. In my OPINION people look at these list and say oh he or she wants an I-pod I better not pick her or him, But I will tell you a an inexpensive MP3 would still bring a smile to a child's face. Christmas just brings out the skeptics in people.

Yep, that is YOUR opinion, but if you dont want others, then dont post on a public message board. But especially when you post questions within your post, you will get responses.

Everything will bring out the skeptics in people because people dont generally like to be taken advantage of, that is all. I have also held my own angel tree programs and have helped tremendously in the community and I know Im not the only one that sees it as being greedy when parents allow their kids to ask for expensive or extravagant items.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...if you have the means and want to buy expensive or extravagant gifts, then feel free.

Yep, that is YOUR opinion, but if you dont want others, then dont post on a public message board. But especially when you post questions within your post, you will get responses.

Everything will bring out the skeptics in people because people dont generally like to be taken advantage of, that is all. I have also held my own angel tree programs and have helped tremendously in the community and I know Im not the only one that sees it as being greedy when parents allow their kids to ask for expensive or extravagant items.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...if you have the means and want to buy expensive or extravagant gifts, then feel free.

By all means have your opinion, I most certainly would not want to change some ones mind, Every one is entitled to their opinion. I just look on the side of a child, and if they do not know they are in need and mom or dad asks what do you want for Christmas, and they tell them, and put it down you never know there may be a kind hearted soul who wants to make that child's wish come true.

Edited by Illinoismom

Well, I still have faith in the Angel Tree at our church. I know the recipients of the gifts are elderly people from a nearby very poor nursing home and the others are people that receive food from our food pantry and low income parishioners. I , personally, have never seen anyone ask for extravagant gifts. I pick one adult, one elderly, one infant and one child my DD's age every year. The kids always ask for things like calculators and gloves. I always pack everything in backpacks (Target clearance) and I give what they ask for and then some fun stuff too. Mom's always ask for clothes for their babies and the adults/elderly usually need toiletries, scarves, slippers, etc. I always try to think of nice stuff to buy that a mom with children wouldn't buy herself. I give to Toys for Tots too b/c both my DD's B-days are in December and no matter how many times I tell my family to not over-do it, they always do. So I send a lot of gifts my girls receive to Toys for Tots. It sounds mean to take away toys they just got but really they like to help out! There is no way to tell if you are giving to a greedy person or a needy person so you just have to keep the faith!

lol. I thought I was the only one. Our youth group works all year as "handy" people. They do "odd" jobs for the church members, raking leaves, washing cars, cleaning houses, mowing lawns... whatever to raise money for their Christmas celebrations.

The first is the senior center... our youth pastor gets a list of residents that would like to be "adopted" and the kids shop for them. They cater a special dinner in for them on Friday night, and spend a whole evening visiting with the residents, singing Christmas carols and playing games.The lists can get really bad, we had some expensive requests last year... but every one was filled. It took up over 50% of the kids' savings, I won't begin to tell you how many hours it was. We had adopted 10 seniors, and 3 said thank you to the kids, several of the others complained that they didn't like what was bought, even though it was what was on their list.

The next morning the kids go and pick up 8 children from the baptist home. They give each child a certain amount of money. In order to raise extra money last year each member of our youth group asked their parents to take something back that we had bought them around a certain $ amount and give them the money instead. The parent was to write down what they took back and put it in a envelope to give their child Christmas morning so their child would know that item had been purchased for them. It was their way to give a little something extra to these kids. Each child has a list of 5 things that they "need" (clothing items) provided by a worker at the home, any money they have left is theirs to spend anyway they wish. We take them to the mall, Walmart where ever they wish... and our kids spend hours with them helping them shop. I'm always amazed when they buy their items, and then they start shopping for their "house parents" a Christmas present, instead of blowing the money on themselves. We then take them to a huge amusement center... let them all play and have pizza - then we take them back. And you can bet that every child will tell our youth group thank you and how much they appreciate what they do for them... and it touches our youth like nothing else.

I should note that this is what our youth group chose to do instead of having parties every year for themselves. This to me is what Christmas is about ... giving.

Edited by KrisinTn