A question about Target return policy

Guest kridy

I have a question, maybe someone can help me.

I received an item from Target as a gift, but was not given a receipt/gift receipt. The original purchaser does not have the receipt and I can't use the item. I tried to return it without a receipt and they told me they couldn't take it back because it was over the limit for a return without a receipt. So if I were to purchase the item and get a regular receipt and a gift receipt, could I take the one I buy back with the regular receipt and take the gift one back with the gift receipt from my purchase? Or will it show up that the item has already been returned? Someone help!! :)

Guest RealLivePrinces
Um, that's called return fraud. You could find yourself confronted by store security, and rightfully so. Also, a gift receipt and a regular receipt are linked in the system at most stores.

Well, thank you for the info. I'm not trying to defraud the store. I just don't need the item and can't do anything with it. I only want store credit but they wont do it. So I guess I'm just stuck with something that my child is too old to use.

You are out of luck. That is why I don't shop target much at all. Once I didn't have a reciept (same reason as you) They tried to give me $10 for a shelf they were still selling for $29.

You were lucky they offered you $10. They didn't have to give you you anything.

I tried to return it without a receipt and they told me they couldn't take it back because it was over the limit for a return without a receipt.

Did the person who bought it pay via check, giftcard or debit/credit card?? If so, they can look it up for that person.

If you are over the limit, you must have a habit of returning items without receipts. Be sure to save your receipts. If I can learn to do that, anyone can.

Did the person who bought it pay via check, giftcard or debit/credit card?? If so, they can look it up for that person.

If you are over the limit, you must have a habit of returning items without receipts. Be sure to save your receipts. If I can learn to do that, anyone can.

I am thinking OP meant that the item was over $20 which I believe is the dollar limit for a single item that you can return without a receipt, like 2x per year...?

I am thinking OP meant that the item was over $20 which I believe is the dollar limit for a single item that you can return without a receipt, like 2x per year...?

I believe they just changed it, non receipt returns can be up to $35 twice a year. It was posted on a Target blog that I read.

It is difficult to gauge attitude or tone in a post but, there is no need to get snippy about it. Maybe you have stock in Target or something. I just said that is why I don't shop there. If I get a gift that is still in excellent condition with their tags on it and they are still selling it for $29 I feel like it is almost an insult to me to offer me $10. Especially since it was just after christmas time. What do they think I did slip the huge thing under my coat and walk out with it? If they need to make a larger profit that badly they can make it off all of you other shoppers not me.

I believe we are trying to say is that if one doesn't have a receipt a store shouldn't be obligated to take anything back and if they do, give the same amount as they would be able to give someone who had a receipt.

IMO, it's just the stores trying to get attention of consumers to have them keep receipts. Personally, I don't see where this is difficult. I would prefer to have my receipt and get back what I paid for the item.

I am not sure it's about stores needing to make a larger profit. It's more about scammers (no, I'm not implying you) who take advantage of retailers. These practices harm the honest consumer. However, if all it takes is having a receipt to ensure I get my money back, I'm keeping my receipt. Problem solved.

It is difficult to gauge attitude or tone in a post but, there is no need to get snippy about it. Maybe you have stock in Target or something. I just said that is why I don't shop there. If I get a gift that is still in excellent condition with their tags on it and they are still selling it for $29 I feel like it is almost an insult to me to offer me $10. Especially since it was just after christmas time. What do they think I did slip the huge thing under my coat and walk out with it? If they need to make a larger profit that badly they can make it off all of you other shoppers not me.

I think usually when they offer you a lower price for an item that is currently for sale for a higher price that it is because it was for sale at one time for $10, and unless you have a receipt they do not know if you (or whoever bought it) paid $10 for it or $29, and that is why they only offer you $10. All stores do this if you don't have a receipt, some won't even accept returns or exchanges anymore without a receipt.

OP - you could try a different Target or donate it at Christmas time to toys for tots

They can do a receipt look up for the person who origonally bought it

Or You'll have to sell it in a garage sale/fleamarket? Or on craiglist (if no other option and you don't want to donate it).

I wouldn't be this upset especially when its no money out of your pocket though

ebay, craigslist, garage sale, donate it to a charity, donate it to an auction, regift it...

Target has no obligation. The giver has no obligation (though you could ask for their assistance - as others have mentioned - for them to do a look-up).

there is a twisted saying: don't kick a gift horse in the mouth. It applies here.