4-wheeler/ATV for a 9 year old

Stay away from cheap brands like that we used to own one because at the time they were the only PINK one we could find. The battery has to be plugged in to charge...you might as well get a power wheels for power. The casing around the tranny was busted by a rock in the first outting.

We are a strict 4-wheeling family that does both off-road and racing. All of my kids own Polaris Predators and we wouldn't buy anything less. Check Polaris dealers for used deals because they often take trade-ins for newer models. I would recommend a 90CC turned all the way down for your 9yr old although recommendations will ususally saya 50CC. My DS started off on a 90CC when he was 6 and he still has it now supped up at 10.5 it was bought new and modified to fit our needs (nerf bars, handle covers, better grill, light kit, new exhaust and intake)

My 7 yr old daughter started off on the pink version brand you mention her's was also a 90CC and was bought when she was 5, what is nice about that brand is the 90CC is still SMALL like almost the same size/weight as the 50CC of most mainstream brands. BUT being so small and light it TIPPED very easily so we had to buy axel spacers to make the wheels WIDER *something we do anyway with our racers BUT it was NECCESSITY on this one because it was DANGEROUS!!* We just recently GAVE that thing AWAY...and got her a pink Polaris Outlaw 90CC.

My 5yr old got a white Polaris predator for his 4th bday and he is starting off with the 50CC and is our best rider yet. We also own another style Polaris bike as well as a Artic Cat and a Yamaha they are just bigger models so I don't have any personal experience with the smaller versions..

Where would he be riding? Dirt, sand, off-road, race??? All those make a difference in what model to get...

Make sure to budget for all the safety gear too, it is a MUST and very expensive as well..

I am not trying to influence you to a particular brand just saying our experience has been this way. You will end up regretting buying one of the models you pictured and in the end it will have been a waste of the $500 you put into it that you could have invested in a better machine.

If you must get a cheaper one a brand called SUN (I think) is the same concept and offers free shipping...I could probally find you a link. But in the end I would have been better off throwing that $550 out the window down the freeway IMO...

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

DYK I forgot to mention this brand also has a HORRIBLE hard seat that we had to replace it was uncomfortable to sit on for 2 seconds much less down a dirt trail. AND the automatic start was HORRIBLE. It was very tempermental and started "When it wanted too"

The ground clearance was SMALL and we skidded or got stuck on rocks more times than I can count...I don't know if the one you pictured has reverse but that is something that comes standard on Polaris models even in the lower CC range which is IMPORTANT...not fun stopping to pull an younger ATV rider out a stuck spot because they cannot reverse!!

We also had a problem with the tires keeping air...not sure what that was.

Here is DD on her old one, using the automatic shut off leash and just going enough speed for DH to walk along, see the NO ground clearance??? That is just ASKING for trouble with breaking important parts, like I said we cracked the tranny cover...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/kriskyrstynjaxon/Picture581.jpg

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

I second the Polaris. We bought our DS a Polaris Sportsman 90 for his 8th birthday. He loves it! We have had it over a year and have had no problems whatsoever. I like to ride on it myself! My DD11 also loves to drive it.

We know lots of people in our town who bought the cheap $500 4-wheelers, and most all of them are broken and nobody around here works on them. Thats why we decided to spend the extra money and buy a name brand,

hmmm...very interesting information....

I'm not sure that I'm ready to drop the money on a Polaris (DD has issues with wanting something, and then nto doing anything with it...her interests ebb and flow *LOL*)

She wouldn't be doing ANY offroad stuff...strictly in the backyard...so I don't know that the tranny issues would be too much trouble for us....at least for now...

Safety gear will be a MUST...she's very careful about that sort of thing now...won't get on her bike without a helmet, etc...and I'll get her a good helmet, etc...

as I said, she won't be doing any off road riding at all...so I don't know if it would be worth getting a Polaris or mainstream brand....any idea how much they run? I could probably convince DW to go for 600 or so...but not much more than that...

We paid $1900 for the 07 Predator but it was only 50CC. We paid $2400 for our 06 90CC Outlaw and about the same for our older 90CC predator but those are brand new prices.

And since you'll need to ride with her ;) You can get you an 500CC Outlaw for about $5800....tell DW it is a great way to spend time together as a family..:P

They run special interest rate finacing all year long and I would check local ads for people trying to sell them due to the economy (used)

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

*LOL* Well, DW won't let me get a motorcycle...which is what I'd prefer to get...

no way I can convince her (nor afford) 1900+...

I'd LOVE to go offroading...but I don't see her even wanting to do that (she's a bit of a wuss sometimes)...which is one reason she'd be staying in the backyard...

Yep, we paid around $2400 for the Polaris Sportsman brand new. They do have special financing. Ours is only like 2% interest for the first 18 months, so we are doubling our notes so that we will pay it off by the end of the promotional period. Our note is 69.00 a month, but we pay almost double that monthly, so that we can get it paid off before the high interest rate kicks in.

I'll have to vote for Polaris also, we have Predators and love them! I have a 500 and we also have a 90 and a 50. We're actually looking into a slightly larger model for our now 12 yr old, but he's more into dirt bikes and loves his YZ80. Polaris is the smoothest ride I've ever been on, and I've tried just about everything. We got lucky with our 90 and found one used for $700, almost new. The kid who it was bought for fell off once and never wanted to see it again. I'm all for bargain shopping, but with something like this, you need quality for safetys sake.

If you want a tank type 4 wheeler you could try the Yamaha Raptor 80, we had one of those and NOTHING could destroy it, but it doesn't have any suspension to speak of, ie, do not even attempt a jump.

Riding can be a great family sport, if the proper precautions and care is taken.

We bought 2 of the ones similar to the ones you are looking at for our boys last year. They still ride them almost daily. Do I regret it? NO!!! We have bigger atvs, and are outdoors all of the time. These were strictly for the boys around our yard and rural area....they have been great for that. We will upgrade them in a couple of years to Can-ams, but for now they have been awesome for them.

• 3 years later...
We only buy Honda new. My dad has an Arctic cat and it has been in teh shop 5 times. When our son wanted one, we bought a Suzuki 80cc used for 700. That is an average price for used. I don't believe in buying the cheap knockoffs. You get what you pay for and I'd rather pay more and get something I can resell later than a piece of crap that won't last. They are just glorified power wheels. You're still talking a couple thousand new for a good one. Keep in mine they are dangerous. We have had 4 teens in our small town of 3000 alone in teh last 5 years killed on atvs. YOu are much better off buying a used one. Check with your dealers in your area, they have trade ins, but will be higher.

Lol, I see I replied back in 2008 about the Polaris we bought for my son, and I have to say he is STILL riding it to this day, so I guess it was money well spent. I know you would save quite a bit buying a knockoff, but I know lots of people who bought them and they didn't last even a full year, plus they couldn't find people to service them.

If I were you I would look for a name brand used one. You may can find one from someone whose child has outgrown theirs and are looking to sell. Good luck!

:) I'd LOVE to get her a Polaris...but the cost is prohibitive. It's not that in the long term it would be a good deal, it's the fact that I don't have the cash to buy it...

can't even find a used name brand one for a decent price...

as for servicing the knockoffs (or the name brand) I'd do it myself :) No need to find someone to do it for me

yeah...Chicago's craigslist didn't have anything affordable...

found one that he claimed was a 110cc in good condition just needed a new battery for 125...

emailed him and he said it didn't run...and when I asked him to be more specific as to what's wrong, he said it sold 30 minutes ago (20 minutes before he first responded)

I wish you lived near me, I'd sell you a few Polaris' that are still running superb.

I KNOW your getting tired of hearing it...LOL, so I won't even say it :P

what about Ebay? A few years ago you couldn't pass a corner that those knockoff powerwheels types were everywhere but now I don't see them anywhere either....We sold our pink one exactly 5months after owning it for $100...I think we paid almost $500 for it new...is that more what your thinking or even lower than that?

LOL..well...that would be a heck of a commute....

I'd LOVE to get a name brand (and Polaris is up there...although I like Hondas as well...I have a nighthawk :) )

Ebay doesn't have much...at least not local...

I'm thinking 400 or so tops (economically)....

maybe up to 600...but that will take a bit of convincing

I will throw my 2 cents into the mix, my kids started off on a 50 and 90 cc Yamaha Raptor and had absolutely no problems with them. Im with some of the other folks here and advising to look on eBay (you can narrow a search to say 100 miles of your location and price range) as well as Craigslist. Its sad to say that there are some great bargins out there due to the economy and people having to sell what are considered "toys" or recreational items.