Nintendo DS

kren

My timing is HORRIBLE. Daughter turns 7 this weekend. Toys R Us just reinstituted its 25% off sale (if you buy a $29.99 game and a $29.99 accessory). I thought I was golden, though I was sad I would miss whatever BF deal comes along.

But then! Then! There's this story, which says a successor is coming to market by the end of the year. I'm buying something that'll be obsolete in no time! Blech!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10053046-1.html

it looks like the updates are a camera and music functions though...not a bad thing to have, but I dunno if the average 7-10 year olds will automatically want to toss the current DS for this one. And they did also say release in Japan first (by the end of this year), then broad release later

who knows, maybe the current DS will go to a lower price point...

Update -- I bought her the DS today, the 25% off deal that includes the $29.99 game and $29.99 accessory. And my friend, who works at TRU, came along and we used his employee card. Whole thing, including tax, came to $141. I'm happy. She'd better be <g>

I still have the original DS and when the DS lite came out, I was afraid it would become obsolete, but it hasn't. I think as long as they stick with the same game format, which it sounds like they are, then everything will be fine.

On the upside, with the new DS coming out in April in the States then you will see accessories like cases, skins and bags for the DS lite go on clearance. Similar to what is happening with all the old ipod Nano accessories, once the new Nano appeared in stores alot of the old Nano stuff went on clearance.

Update: We got the DS, got the 25% off deal (which reappeared) and she was ECSTATIC. She fell asleep in the car last night on the way home from a trip to Grandma's and when DH carried her upstairs, her fingers were still going in her sleep from "Guitar Hero."

You won't be disappointed getting the DS Lite now.

FWIW.... in addition to the dual cameras and music capabilities, the new DSi also drops the GBA card slot in favor of an SD Ram slot (for the music).

New DS games will still play on the older systems.

BTW.... my 12 year old daughter also loves playing Guitar Hero on her DS.