Home Depot does NOT accept gift cards on-line!

nat1jen

I just learned a hard lesson. I had $350 worth of light fixtures that I found on-line at Home Depot. I then went to Kroger to buy gift cards because 4% goes back to non-profit entities. I assumed that Home Depot accepted gift cards on-line because they sell the gift cards on-line. They do NOT take gift cards as payment. I am just floored. I do extensive shopping on-line, and I have never come across a major retailer that does not accept gift cards. Some retailers may limit the number of gift cards that you can use, but you can still use the gift cards.

I called customer service and was told that they can't do anything.:mad: It is not an acceptable form of payment.

Why do they sell the cards on-line but refuse to accept payment on-line? I am just baffled.

Lowe's now has my business. I am done with Home Depot.

Can you get them to ship it to their store and then pay for it there? There has to be a manager at a store that can help you! It really doesn't make sense!

That is a great idea, but unfortunately, you have to pay for the items before they will ship them. Thanks for trying.

That's a good idea, conj.

Have you called back to talk to a different operator? I would call your local store manager and tell them what has happened.

Or, you could go to a store and be 'looking' for something in particular and see if they can order it. Tell them that you don't have the internet or something :P.

Here is an email that I got from Home Depot customer service today:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email to The Home Depot Online Customer Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The opinions of our customers are taken seriously and used in the

overall evaluation of the services we provide.

As per The Home Depot policy, gift cards can not be redeemed or

exchanged for cash, check or credit. Hence, we do not accept gift cards

as a mode of payment for online purchase.

However, we are working to have this facility available to our customers

in the near future.

In addition, you may use this Gift Card toward all in-store purchases at

any The Home Depot store, EXPO Design Center, or The Home Depot Supply

(SM) store.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Soumya

Your friends at The Home Depot.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that home depot is awful across the board. Lowe's is awesome.

We saw some bamboo flooring that HD was clearancing out at 1.99 a square ft. We would have bought all of it but they didn't have enough boxes. They wouldn't even call another store for us to see if they had more.

On the other hand, we happened to be in Lowes and were telling him about our experience and he matched the price with an identical item (I think it is actually of more quality) gave us 10% off of that and let us use a 10% off coupon on top of that! We didn't even ask him to sell the hardwood to us for that price, he brought it up on his own!

He then called another lowes to save us more boxes (we needed over 50). What great customer service!

Yeah, Home Depot just isn't up to date with the gift cards. You can't even check your balance of a gift card without going to the store.

My initial reaction was to do what conj said. Maybe you go in with someone else, you return them and have the other person standing in line behind you and ask to buy them. I've done that at Target before and it worked (not with an internet return though).

I know that they have a computer inventory system in the lighting dept. at the stores. Maybe if you bring the item #, you can order it at the store?

If all else fails, you can always ebay the gift cards. In another month or two, gift cards will start selling at face value plus s&h.

Good Luck!

I think that home depot is awful across the board. Lowe's is awesome.

We saw some bamboo flooring that HD was clearancing out at 1.99 a square ft. We would have bought all of it but they didn't have enough boxes. They wouldn't even call another store for us to see if they had more.

On the other hand, we happened to be in Lowes and were telling him about our experience and he matched the price with an identical item (I think it is actually of more quality) gave us 10% off of that and let us use a 10% off coupon on top of that! We didn't even ask him to sell the hardwood to us for that price, he brought it up on his own!

He then called another lowes to save us more boxes (we needed over 50). What great customer service!

Yes, Lowes now has my business. I have mainly shopped at Home Depot because it is VERY convenient to my house, but Lowes is always more helpful,friendly, etc. I ended up using some of the gift cards to buy 2 halogen floor lamps and a mini refrigerator for the playroom that we are redecorating. I still have $100 left, and I may just use that for gas. I still think that there is something very wrong with selling gift cards on-line but then not accepting them for on-line payment. They aren't a mom and pop company, so why are they dragging their feet? :(

The good news is that I absolutely love the chandeliers that I purchased on-line. They are something that are not carried in the stores, and they were at a reduced price on-line. I like them even better in person than in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here is something Home Depot don't even give a Miltary discount to the soldiers. I talk to them and they said that their prices are low and we don't deserve a discount so now I shop at Lowes where I can get a discount. Edited by jfish
mispelled words

Here is something Home Depot don't even give a Miltary discount to the soldiers. I talk to them and they said that their prices are low and we don't deserve a discount so now I shop at Lowes where I can get a discount.

Does Lowe's always give a Military discount?

We had this happen when ordering new shutters for our house that we couldnt get in the store.

I ordered a ton of GCs free from my reward points on my CC with the purpose of getting the shutters online and then they couldnt be used.

Lowes gives military discounts with memorial day,labor day and normally veterans day holidays.

Donna

Does Lowe's always give a Military discount?

Yes they do I have been shopping there for a long time now and yes I'm the military been in for 35 years and I have only five years left been to 3 deployments and I might be going back.