"Green" Shopping Bags for BF

mgmckny

I have some of the cloth bags from Kroger, Publix & Wal-mart. But, if anyone remembers that the big department stores used to give you large shopping bags (strong paper) with the good handles instead of the cheaper plastic bags. Well, between my mother and I we still have at least 2 dozen of those bags and we use them every year. I fold them up into one bag and use them to carry lots of stuff. I also use them again on Christmas eve for all our wrapped presents that have to be transported to my brothers house for the family get together. They are so useful and have gotten lots of use and still hold up. I wish they could make more of those and give them out. Unfortunately, now days all they give you is those cheap plastic bags that also can be seen through so if someone is with you that you have bought something for it is kinda hard to hide!

I don't hit the big department stores much now, but I remember when they would bring out a special bag at Christmas (heavy duty with good handles). They used to have stands of them near the entrances and escalators and they would charge a quarter. I would get a couple of the prettiest and use them until they fell apart (usually around Nov. the next year) to carry all kinds of stuff back and forth to work, get togethers, etc.

Me too!! I have like 10 of them and whenever I go grocery shopping I forget them :mad:

Yeah I do that too. I remember to use them one time and bring them inside and then forget to put them back in the car for the next 4 times and then the next 5 times after that I forget to bring them in the store and don't remember until I am ready to check out!:eek:

Actually have started collecting said "Green Bags" from all the locations that offer them (Market Stores, Discount Stores, Banks, etc), as long as the price is NOT over $2.00. Odd thing to collect but tis the English thing. We have always had to use "our own" bags otherwise we would be charged for plastic bags. Have them in the vehicle, just keep them there, tis easier in the long run.

Cheeres!!!

Actually have started collecting said "Green Bags" from all the locations that offer them (Market Stores, Discount Stores, Banks, etc), as long as the price is NOT over $2.00. Odd thing to collect but tis the English thing. We have always had to use "our own" bags otherwise we would be charged for plastic bags. Have them in the vehicle, just keep them there, tis easier in the long run.

Cheeres!!!

When I lived in France I had a grocery bag and a tote for carrying purchases. Only the bigger stores offered bags then and usually grudgingly...

we keep these in the car most of the time, forget to on occasion. we use them at the grocery store, target, CVS, etc. if I only have one or two items, I tell them I dont need a bag. we actually walk to the grocery store alot of the time. I will sometimes even take a small backpack (REI Flash UL) in addition to a few reusables.

for BF, we will use them at any place that has small items. for larger items, no bag needed. hard to fit my 87" DLPlamaLaser TV with built in corn dog cooker in a bag, :)

I don't have any green bags yet, just haven't bought them. But I always find ways to reuse my plastic and paper grocery bags. Plastic bags make great packing material if you're short on newspaper if you are shipping or storing something and there is no ink to rub off on to anything! I also use them for kitty box clean up (yuck!!) but they are handy.

I use mine for grocery shopping as the bags are way way way too small for anything else. Even then I tend to buy a lot of stuff at the grocery store so I am left using a plastic bag (which is used for my bathroom trashcan liner)

I know they are passing a law in my area soon so it is now 25 cents more (tax) if you use a plastic bag at the store.

What a great idea!! I think I'm going to take my blue IKEA bags on BF. They're HUGE and have both carry handles and over the shoulder ones so they should be perfect. :)

I have used these bags for YEARS! Its great not to be held back by a big ole cart. They really are awesome, especially for toys and big bulky stuff. However.....I have found that they are too big and I will be downsizing this year.

Bed Bath and Beyond has great "green" bags this year, they are $2.00, but $1.00 goes towards breast cancer research. They are big and have great handles, no pics on their web site, but worth checking out.

:)